For Sale: 1988 928 S4

Guys & Gals,

It’s come time to sell my low mileage 1988 928 S4.  It’s cherry red in colour (code 80F), with white leather interior and carpets.  It is an automatic and it is left had drive.

I’ve come to the realisation that sports cars aren’t really my thing and I’m wanting to go back to 4x4s.

I personally imported this car from Japan back in January of 2014, primarily as a weekend car with just under 18,000 km on the clock.  Since getting it here I’ve only added about 3,000 km to that total, so it’s just sitting shy of 21,000 km.  So as you can see it’s become more a piece of garage art rather than the weekend cruiser.

From my research done on the car, this was sold new in February 1988 from the Porsche Centre in Kyoto and much of it’s Japanese service history was performed there.  It appears that this was warehoused back in 1995/96 in Japan (hence the low kms) and pulled out of storage and re-registered in Japan in 2013 where it promptly sat in a prestige dealer’s yard for a year clocking up a whole 38km. 

Prior to getting it on the road here in WA, I had a significant amount of precautionary maintenance done, most notably:

• · Timing belt and water pump changed (the car was still running the originals)
  • ·         All fuel hoses changed and water.
  • ·         All brake lines changed.
  • ·         Major services to the engine and gearbox.

I also had the air conditioning changed to R134a, new engine undertrays fitted (genuine), new battery fitted, the seized ABS pump replaced and new Toyo TR1 tyres fitted. 

The torque tube has also been replaced with a new (not rebuilt) unit since getting it on the road.

It’s pretty much as it left the showroom, as you would expect for a low km example, with only the following mods having been done:

• ·         Remote immobiliser fitted linked to the central locking.
  • ·         A 10 MHz band expander installed on the original Sony radio cassette so it can receive local FM.  The cassette player part doesn’t work (who has cassettes anymore?) but there’s an RCA input in the rear of these units which I have a lead for plugging in a MP3 player (I use on old Android phone).
  • ·         The air pump has been gutted.
  • ·         The radiator louvers have been cable tied open.

I have a page on the 928 register on this car which outlines what I know about it, a summary of it’s service history, links to the previous dealer’s ad on it, the auction sheets from the broker I used, a link to a video made of the car being inspected at the auction in Japan and a few photos I took earlier this year.  It’s located here :

http://www.928oc.org/registry-main/registry/item/2529-1988-928-s4-row-0003

I’m giving the first opportunity to the forum members on this car during December.  I’m going to be out of the country all January so if not sold by then, it will go on Carsales in February upon my return.

I do have the original Japanese export and deregistration certificates to vouch for the mileage being correct.  I also have the Japanese servicing history paperwork.

I pretty keen to sell this to the right buyer and I also understand that the 928 market is not the same as the air cooled market, also that it’s LHD so buyers from NSW, QLD, SA and TAS won’t be able to use it on the road for a couple of years (I’ve been told by Chellingworth Porsche that the build date is August 87).   That being said I suppose we’ll have to put a starting price from where to haggle, so let’s say $32k and go from there.

Please note that Cherry Red is much darker than Guards Red but cameras don’t pick it up correctly, the second photo gets the colour much more correctly.

IMG_3801_zpsxpzdwwbt.jpg

IMG_3800_zpssjrz0uyj.jpgIMG_3806_zpsek24z6ej.jpg

IMG_3782_zpsyafebqvj.jpg

IMG_3783_zpsln8egppa.jpgIMG_3790_zpsjoqlztix.jpg

IMG_3770_zps72hwfjiy.jpg

shame its not old enough to come east and stay LHD yet!

Thanks for the compliments guys.  From what I have read, I believe it could be registered in Victoria on club plates and remain LHD as its over 25 years old.  Also read somewhere that it should be fine in the ACT too.

Well I thought I had it sold (not a member of this forum but someone that had expressed an interest in it before), price agreed, but the buyer just backed out after failing to realise their own states' LHD rules.  

Frustrating:(

Just to repeat, the car is Left Hand Drive.  It is legal in some states (like here in WA), but this is not uniform across the country (QLD, NSW, TAS you're out of luck for about 18 months and need to press your pollies, VIC you can run it on club plates)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliment.  I would contest the big price quote, I was under the current top 5 928s on car sales.

http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?sortby=Price&offset=0&q=((Make%3D[Porsche]%26Model%3D[928])%26Service%3D[Carsales])&area=Stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

When you are getting enquiries from Europe on it (albeit after I had accepted a local offer), I think the price was reasonable.

I guess we will .... being an import and a left hooker to boot,IMO its a big price compared to an Aussie del ... GT's rebuilt engines, 100 -150k cars, lower price good ones, exorbitant price dreamers it's all in the mix .... the extremely low ks and beauty of it offset the import and lefty status obviously..and enquiries whether from Europe or neighbouring suburb are just that, enquiries. It's only real when the buyer puts the cash on the table and he got a reasonable or a good or an excellent buy, depends on opinion ....but as I said worth it for the right buyer and obviously it was, as it was purchased - maybe below the big price of $32k? It's that age old calculation of low k's vs asking price vs rest of market and then it becomes only opinion.... and no I didn't ring - wouldn't buy one not my cuppa tea but I can appreciate their standing in the P world... congrats on the sale

The problem here is that $32k is considered a "big price" for an immaculate S4. Does not matter if it was LHD or RHD, that car was like new. It would be worth at least 40000 euro and probably a lot more in Europe.

Well done beaker, hopefully this will lead to the 928 getting the credit it deserves :)

Archived