Looking to buy a 911 - lots of questions

Hi All,

As per my post in the intro thread I am looking to get myself in a 3.2 Carrera and would appreciate any advice you gents can provide including suggesting alternative choices if you think my choice of the 3.2 model is wrong for whatever reason.

964 would likely be a better fit but I cannot find any nice examples below 70K and my budget is 30-50K.

In that range there seems to be a broad choice from early cars to even some 996 models on the low end of the scale.

The most important aspect is that I want to run this is a daily driver.

I have had a “Sunday” car and realised that it was a waste for it to sit in the garage for weeks at the time waiting for a chance when a sunny day and spare time align to take it for a drive.

From the daily driver perspective I understand that Carreras have a lousy aircon and am prepared to live without one, power steering, ABS, traction control are not a necessity but would be nice.

The only other thing I have been warned about is that they have a heavy clutch and iffy gearshift that requires bit of finesse to get the best out of it.

I’ve been told that these cars are quite solid and reliable which would be an important consideration for a daily driven car – any opinions/experiences/horror stories?

Vas930 suggested if I am looking for a 3.2 to stick with a later model, assuming because they have the G50 gearbox? Would those cars also have a hydraulic clutch?

When did Porsche introduce dual mass flywheels in the 911 range?

In addtion to the 3.2 Carrera should I also look at the earlier SC models?

Is there much difference in between the two in terms of performance/reliability/creature comfort features/running cost?

Alternatively, if I fancied a 964 or a 993 and wanted to stick to the same budget is it worthwhile/possible/cost effective to import a car from the UK/Hong Kong?

Any opinions/experiences/advice/etc you can share?

How do you guys go for spare parts? Buying locally or ordering from overseas? If overseas who are the popular and reliable parts suppliers? I have seen Pelican mentioned somewhere here which I am familiar with (been ordering parts for an old BMW),anyone else?

Also, any Adelaide members on here? If so are you familiar with Buick and how would you rate their experience/knowledge (I am looking to potentially use them for pre purchase inspection)?

Thanks

hey randel, ive got a 993 and would recommend these as they have all the creature comforts, even air con not bad, and last of the aircooled models, should be able to pick up a good one for 50k.

the older ones are great too but for a daily driver might be a bit ?? my opinion only . but any porsche is a ripper

hey randel, ive got a 993 and would recommend these as they have all the creature comforts, even air con not bad, and last of the aircooled models, should be able to pick up a good one for 50k.

Have I been out of the market for that long?!?! <_<

$50k for a good one?

Are you sure?!

:blink:

Kerry

the older ones are great too but for a daily driver might be a bit ?? my opinion only . but any porsche is a ripper

Gaza,

You wanna sell me your 993 for 50K? :)

Randall look on Trade Me in New Zealand. 964's and 993's in your budget. However I would think there are some issues having anything post 88??? (anyone chime in here) fully road registered.

76-77 3.0 Carrera tasty. But a slightly later SC could and should offer similar experience without the premium.

cheers michel

Mark Poole in Adelaide or near Adelaide - for early cars good for service some parts, and PPi.

BWA inSydney good for parts. though pelican, rennspeed, vertex et al ebay all offer advantages...sometimes.

i have an 85 3.2 Carrera that i use as a daily. it is a very very reliable car, not that expensive to maintain. possibly more reliable than 964, 993 and 996's as there are a heap less things that can go wrong. 3.2 engine is bulletproof.

I also have an 85 Carrera that I use as a daily driver. Car is regularly serviced and I haven't had any major issues over the last 4 years. No smoke, no oil drips, 250000km on the clock and still plenty of power. Clutch and gearbox aren't smooth as silk, but you get used to the feel and it doesn't cause any problems.

As mentioned by others; you probably get what you pay for. For my Aust delivered 3.2, purchase price was at the upper end of your budget.

Cheers,

Stepo

.......964 would likely be a better fit but I cannot find any nice examples below 70K and my budget is 30-50K.

You can't ??? :unsure:

CARSALES - 964

I drove this car recently. Quite impressed with it !

Condition was much better than "nice"

Meets your budget.

964C4_7679_1024.jpg

964C4_7681_1024.jpg

964C4_7721_1024.jpg

I believe Scott sold the 3.2 today ! :)

Q took the pics the the 964, but is not selling it :) ......because Q is on [extended] holidays :D

I was merely making the point that there are some very good cars out there for sensible money.

This Carrera 3.2 at Autohaus Hamilton is also lurvely (although pricier than Q's 964 above):

1985 Porsche 911 Carrera

B9EF6899AB1348A6800022BD45CA1EF.jpg

Oi!

I was first!

;):P:D

Kerry

Hands off Kerry, she's mine! :P

Randall look on Trade Me in New Zealand. 964's and 993's in your budget. However I would think there are some issues having anything post 88??? (anyone chime in here) fully road registered.

76-77 3.0 Carrera tasty. But a slightly later SC could and should offer similar experience without the premium.

cheers michel

Thanks Michel,

I am assuming I would still have to go through local compliance process? If so by the time you add freight and other fees NZ cars may not be as attractive price wise.

Mark Poole in Adelaide or near Adelaide - for early cars good for service some parts, and PPi.

BWA inSydney good for parts. though pelican, rennspeed, vertex et al ebay all offer advantages...sometimes.

Thanks!

i have an 85 3.2 Carrera that i use as a daily. it is a very very reliable car, not that expensive to maintain. possibly more reliable than 964, 993 and 996's as there are a heap less things that can go wrong. 3.2 engine is bulletproof.

That is the sort of response I was hoping to get. :D

I also have an 85 Carrera that I use as a daily driver. Car is regularly serviced and I haven't had any major issues over the last 4 years. No smoke, no oil drips, 250000km on the clock and still plenty of power. Clutch and gearbox aren't smooth as silk, but you get used to the feel and it doesn't cause any problems.

As mentioned by others; you probably get what you pay for. For my Aust delivered 3.2, purchase price was at the upper end of your budget.

Cheers,

Stepo

Thanks Stepo, great feedback.

You can't ??? :unsure:

CARSALES - 964

I drove this car recently. Quite impressed with it !

Condition was much better than "nice"

Meets your budget.

Looks very nice indeed. How easy would it be to remove front drive shafts? :P

There are some 964s in my price range but they are either 4s, autos, convertibles or targas and I am determined to get a RWD tin lid with a clutch pedal. :)

I was merely making the point that there are some very good cars out there for sensible money.

There are some cars that seem priced sensibly, on car sales ATM there are 4 x 996 models in the 50-60K bracket which would likely be a more sensible choice for a daily (intermediate shaft issues aside) but for some reason I do not find them as attractive as the older models. Would I be better off with a 996?

Randall with pre 88-89 cars compliance is relatively straight forward. Though import costs can add around 10K to a purchase.

Best bet is to look at Customs DOTARS site. Or alternately if you have a mate thinking about coming to OZ to live from NZ they could generously bring their car over for you.

There are some cars that seem priced sensibly, on car sales ATM there are 4 x 996 models in the 50-60K bracket which would likely be a more sensible choice for a daily (intermediate shaft issues aside) but for some reason I do not find them as attractive as the older models. Would I be better off with a 996?

aaaah, now we enter the modern water-cooled vs quintessential air-cooled debate :)

my suggestion to people is - drive both.

there is good merit to each side of the debate !

at the end of the day, it is all about the drive.

some people are suited to modern, others to the idiosyncratic virtues of air-cooled.

Drive both, all will be come obvious :D.......and report back to us :)

aaaah, now we enter the modern water-cooled vs quintessential air-cooled debate :)

my suggestion to people is - drive both.

there is good merit to each side of the debate !

at the end of the day, it is all about the drive.

some people are suited to modern, others to the idiosyncratic virtues of air-cooled.

Drive both, all will be come obvious :D.......and report back to us :)

Have driven both - the ones of aircooled variety have lots of character, 996 while easier to drive and more practical was bland in comparison.

Have driven both - the ones of aircooled variety have lots of character, 996 while easier to drive and more practical was bland in comparison.

now to find a nice clean air cooled example for you to buy

Archived