A 928 question on seats...

ANF

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I have heard about this and may give you minimally more headroom, but does put you further away from the controls.

I think the early manual seats is the easiest to fit option, finding them and then recovering and also matching rear seat is the issue. But then again only have to do it once :)

I think the early manual seats is the easiest to fit option, finding them and then recovering and also matching rear seat is the issue. 

I would leave the rear seat unless you are recolouring ; there is all that other trim to think about. Mind you there are aftermarket console covers and side trim pieces but it all adds up. 928 interiors are pretty plush.

I would leave the rear seat unless you are recolouring ; there is all that other trim to think about. Mind you there are aftermarket console covers and side trim pieces but it all adds up. 928 interiors are pretty plush.

If I do find some seats, they would most likely need recovering or be black, rear seat kits (in black) seem reasonably priced...

All pie in the sky until I can find an outcome that lets me fit into a car... :)

I will be around to check out your 924 and 944 seats soon!! :D

Hi guys,To add my experience... I am 208cms tall (6'10") and fit comfortably in my 84 928S. There isn't any room to spare, but my legs can extend fully and i have the slightest clearance between my head and roof. I drive the car hard at times and find the driving position is very comfortable.

It has fully electric drivers seat in full leather, but the padding is probably squashed over the years.

I have previously driven a manual no sunroof '79 and also a sunroof fitted 79 auto, and they both seemed slightly more roomy.

On the flip side, I have tried to sit in a totally stock '85 auto with sunroof and electric fabric seats, and was not even close to fitting. The seats sat considerably higher and did not travel back as far.

I have also tried 2 auto '87 S4's in full leather with auto seats and sunroofs and found them both very tight, both in legroom and height.

The condition and type of seats makes a big difference, but honestly, it feels like even though the cabin is essentially the exact same layout, my experience in every 928 has been quite different from a seating perspective.

I did move the seat rails back about an inch to the pre-existing mount but didn't really find any difference as the rear gearbox tunnel really doesn't let the seat travel back any further, and the seat hits it if you try and extend it too far back.

Finally, I have also had 2 baby seats installed in the car and my wife and the 2 kids have been on trips together. This was very tight, but I figure if I can do it at my height, then there is a solution for almost anyone out there.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,

Dion

Finally, I have also had 2 baby seats installed in the car and my wife and the 2 kids have been on trips together.

Seriously committed 928 owner. ;)

Adam, just buy one already.  Dion proves the impossible is possible.:P

Hi guys,To add my experience... I am 208cms tall (6'10") and fit comfortably in my 84 928S. There isn't any room to spare, but my legs can extend fully and i have the slightest clearance between my head and roof. I drive the car hard at times and find the driving position is very comfortable.

It has fully electric drivers seat in full leather, but the padding is probably squashed over the years.

I have previously driven a manual no sunroof '79 and also a sunroof fitted 79 auto, and they both seemed slightly more roomy.

On the flip side, I have tried to sit in a totally stock '85 auto with sunroof and electric fabric seats, and was not even close to fitting. The seats sat considerably higher and did not travel back as far.

I have also tried 2 auto '87 S4's in full leather with auto seats and sunroofs and found them both very tight, both in legroom and height.

The condition and type of seats makes a big difference, but honestly, it feels like even though the cabin is essentially the exact same layout, my experience in every 928 has been quite different from a seating perspective.

I did move the seat rails back about an inch to the pre-existing mount but didn't really find any difference as the rear gearbox tunnel really doesn't let the seat travel back any further, and the seat hits it if you try and extend it too far back.

Finally, I have also had 2 baby seats installed in the car and my wife and the 2 kids have been on trips together. This was very tight, but I figure if I can do it at my height, then there is a solution for almost anyone out there.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,

Dion

Thanks Dion,

But I cannot figure out how you can fit in! I am 185cm, so 23cm less than you, divide that by 2 to roughly get the distance that you should have extra to me from your seated position (115mm +/-), and your head should be poking through the roof given that the sunroof takes up approximately 70mm. You must either rake your seat back a lot or have a short back in relation to your height as my head is firmly touching the roof! Admittedly the car does have newish seat trim and padding, but still that would be a lot of sagging?? (this may explain all and is the thinking to my potential solution below........)

My latest thinking is the have drivers seat re-trimmed and replace foam padding (it is 2 to 3 inches thick!) with high density foam only half as deep as it is now....

Cheers

Cheers

Sorry if I'm repeating but I have just found this post and have just skimmed thru it

my 84 S2 is a non sunroof and the seats are pretty much the same as my 86 911

on the 911 the drivers seat is electric and the passenger manual with a 20mm (guess) packer to presumably bring it up to the same height

Sorry if I'm repeating but I have just found this post and have just skimmed thru it

my 84 S2 is a non sunroof and the seats are pretty much the same as my 86 911

on the 911 the drivers seat is electric and the passenger manual with a 20mm (guess) packer to presumably bring it up to the same height

Could you post up a pic of your 928 seats please Paul?

You must have the sports seats in your 82?

Thanks

Good to see so many 928 owners on here too :)

my 928 seats

IMG_3602-2_zpseebenjlw.jpg

my 911 seats

my 928 drivers seat measures 890mm from the seat where it meets the back (where your bum goes) to the head lining

Thanks heaps! Measurements help too!

The 928 seats are all manual (just saw the elec controls)? They look to sit a bit lower than the comfort one seats.

Rest of the interior looks pretty nice too! Post up some pics of her :)

Cheers

They look very similar to S4 seats?

The interior is a very dark blue and when I got it a few months ago it looked tired with the rear folding seats badly sun damaged, so these where recovered locally in black and re coloured with leatherique as was the White piping that I didn't like around the front seats. I also treated the bottom backs and passenger and gave a very thin wipe over with the colour to refresh. I still need to do the drivers as the side bolster on the door side needs a repair. I'm very happy with the results so you could consider re colouring any new seats to match. 

Thanks heaps! Measurements help too!

The 928 seats are all manual (just saw the elec controls)? They look to sit a bit lower than the comfort one seats.

Rest of the interior looks pretty nice too! Post up some pics of her :)

Cheers

They look very similar to S4 seats?

I don't think I would be brave enough to post pics up here because it's my daily driver and so has roof racks for my boards

An update. I found a local S4 owner who was willing to let me sit in and play around with the seats, and it surprised me that I could fit into this car, (with minimal clearance - but there was some!) and that it had a sunroof! This goes against all that I thought!! It now gives me hope that for any 928 that I come across there is a solution!! An S4 is the easiest solution but one of the more expensive (and would mean a MUCH longer wait.........). An S or non S model with different or modified seats seems to be the go (one with a sunroof anyway)

Thankyou to all how have offered info/ advice. The hunt is on in earnest..... :D

• 1 month later...

Archived