A 928 question on seats...

ANF

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 6ft and have an 1982 S with a sunroof / electric drivers seat that I am building into a (basic) rally car. The factory electric drivers seat is a fairly hefty unit as I found when removing it to rewire the faulty switches. I could not sit in my car prior to purchase as it was an abandoned project wedged into a garage so I was surprised when I eventually got into it how confined it felt. 

I find it quite a tight fit but not impossible, when I lowered my seat (electrically) it was better and coupled with the adjustable instrument pod I found a happy medium. As a backup measure I have also bought a pair of 944 seats which are considerably smaller (and lighter) and I may fit these in order to address the headroom issue. Admittedly this may not help you if you wish to retain an original 928 seat - having said that it is a similar profile and I have been told they bolt right in. Like a lot of things I found when I drove mine the seating and comfort felt quite good, it just took some getting used to. 

As previously mentioned by Bruce being an Australian delivered 928 mine has child seat anchors (although I am using them for as tie downs for a spare wheel).

Good luck with your search, they are a very underrated car. I love mine and it is quite possibly the worst 928 in existence. 

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

Maybe start a thread on your build, would love to see some pics of "quite possibly the worst 928 in existence" :)

Cheers

I find it quite a tight fit but not impossible, when I lowered my seat (electrically) it was better and coupled with the adjustable instrument pod I found a happy medium. As a backup measure I have also bought a pair of 944 seats which are considerably smaller (and lighter) and I may fit these in order to address the headroom issue. Admittedly this may not help you if you wish to retain an original 928 seat - having said that it is a similar profile and I have been told they bolt right in. Like a lot of things I found when I drove mine the seating and comfort felt quite good, it just took some getting used to.

Have you managed to fit the 944 seats as yet? I test drove the 82 last night and head room is way too limited! I am not sure if even the 944 seats would give it enough room.... Something I really need to try and resolve before considering buying.

Bit of a quandary as the car looks great, has a few things to fix but nothing too major....

Surely the seats themselves would be no different, it'd be just the meccano that secures them to the vehicle?   In which case an old wrecked manual seat would make a perfect meccano donor..?

I believe the base is much thinner with less padding. You would need to use the whole seat otherwise you would have no backrest adjustment?

May be able to adapt the seat covers over.... I will find out more......

Remember , the above photos of the beautifully re-leathered & probably re-padded seats are from the 928S 4.7L version ( 1980 - 1984 inclusive ) , these very big & comfortable seats sit higher ( even the manual one shown in the photo on the left of photo ) than the standard manually operated 928 4.5L seats ( 1978 - 1982 )

Note } the standard 928 4.5L manual seats ( 1978 - 1982 Non S ) had none of the padded pleats & were lower & slimmer as well ( these give the best head room )

They are not the standard 4.5L seats , these are the " S "  , remember you could buy ( as an option ) for the 4.5L 928 the Option ( M437 or M438 ) = comfort seats , that's what you are looking at in the photos ,added to that over the last two decades people have been swapping seats in these cars all the time , meaning out go the old wrecked seats & in goes better condition 2nd hand ones from the more readily available" S" model

We have a 928 4.5L  ( NON S ) here at the moment and its got the STANDARD 1981 non electric ( non pleated seats 928 seats) & nearly all these NON S seats I have seen over the last 3 decades + are the ones with the fascias mostly  the  wool burber cloth  fabric

If Sean gets a chance over the next day or two I will get him to take a photo & put it on this site

Hi - sorry, just noticed your post. I haven't fitted them as yet however they appear much thinner in the base and back, and far lighter. I can't get a side to side shot with a 928 S seat as I have placed them in the roof and that was a saga in itself. I could get up there on the weekend and take a photo if that would help?

I am looking at another car later this week to see if I can find out more about headroom (car is not for sale, just a fact finding exercise), will let you know after that.

Cheers

Yes they are very similar to the early 944 seats & the similar year types standard 911 seats , in the Porsche PET ( part numbers list )  the early 928 ... ... standard seats had only a 928 part number & the early 944 seats ( same year types ) had a 477... .. part number & the same year types 911 had a 911... ... part number , so there are small differences in the seats

The interesting thing that people have forgot or just didn't know is that the rear seats on the 928 4.5L (standard seats ) were ALSO non pleated , just like the front seats ( non pleated ) to match the look

Where as the 928S 4.7 1980 - 1984 with the BIG BULKY seats , the rear seats were matched with big bulky padded pleats & thats why I have said OVER & OVER , the 928S 1980 - 1984 with a SUNROOF has very very very poor head room if you are near 6 foot tall or taller

Thats why I keep telling people that the early 928 4.5L manual stand seats , once reconditioned are a fantastic seat in a 928S if the human in question is tall & yes you could probably try the early 944 seat ( 1982 - 1985 ) ( I think the seat runner securing bolt holes are too small on the 944 seats ) , but maybe they could be modified , no idea , we just purchase the early 928 seats if needed .

Regards
Bruce Buchanan 

Over the last decade we have only purchased two or three sets ( front seats ) & on at least one occasion the owner supplied them & they all need to be recovered , re padded etc , I think the last set we purchased ( years ago ) was from a wrecker in Melb

The ones in the photo are in desperate need of recovering / re padding 

They look the same as 924 seats, so shouldn't be too hard to find. Stay away from my brown Pasha ones though!

YEP! What ever ones I do acquire will most likely need trimming to match interior or because they are as above....

Over the last decade we have only purchased two or three sets ( front seats ) & on at least one occasion the owner supplied them & they all need to be recovered , re padded etc , I think the last set we purchased ( years ago ) was from a wrecker in Melb

The ones in the photo are in desperate need of recovering / re padding 

I will keep an eye out for some :)

Thanks

What about some Recaros from a BMW or similar? The slim 928/944/924 ones are a bit , er , thin and unsupportive. Come and try mine. 

You will be going around corners with decent G forces I presume?

I will do just that thankyou.

Not a lot of room to play with unfortunately! I will check out Stuart's and see how that goes too.

Well yes, the 928 should be able to pull very high G's ;)

Archived