A 928 question on seats...

ANF

As most would know I am a huge fan of the 928 and hope to own one, hopefully soon....

I inspected a car recently but found the head room to be limited....! Car has sunroof and electric seats.

I have heard that non power seats could potentially be lower in height than the powered ones? Does anyone know if this is indeed be fact?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been an inner city type for many years, I well recall in the late 80's & early 90's seeing many a well heeled type (incl clients of mine) in their 928's, reclining like fat lazy blokes whilst driving.

At 186cm tall and with a GTS sporting 'mandatory' and undesirable sunroof and lecky seats I now fully comprehend why....

That being said it did take a few days to grow accustomed to the relatively high and flat floor and rather low inner roof height, initially felt a little claustrophobic.  But now it just feels normal, or cosseting as an Englishman might exclaim.

Had both seats out for thorough cleaning purposes, and ther ain't much room down there. 

Renlist has a few threads on 'curing' the issue.

Having been an inner city type for many years, I well recall in the late 80's & early 90's seeing many a well heeled type (incl clients of mine) in their 928's, reclining like fat lazy blokes whilst driving.

At 186cm tall and with a GTS sporting 'mandatory' and undesirable sunroof and lecky seats I now fully comprehend why....

That being said it did take a few days to grow accustomed to the relatively high and flat floor and rather low inner roof height, initially felt a little claustrophobic.  But now it just feels normal, or cosseting as an Englishman might exclaim.

Had both seats out for thorough cleaning purposes, and ther ain't much room down there. 

Renlist has a few threads on 'curing' the issue.

I'm not lazy!

Laying the seat back is not my preferred option.

I have seen an old Pelican post saying that the manual base in 2 inches lower, but no follow up or pics......

Non sunroof 928 would be fairly rare, although from what I have seen (based mainly on car ads) the early 4.5 V8 ones may have had a higher ratio of "sunroof deletes"

I do know someone is Aus who has 2 S4s and neither has a hole in the roof.

Alfa Sud..... :rolleyes: definitely NOT my preferred option!! :D

I was watching wheeler dealers this morning and Edd China , all 201cm of him , had about 5cm headroom in an Alfa Sud!

Taz maybe head over to Alfisti.com/rustylittefwdwithcharm

Side question: how rare is a non-sunroof 928?  (sunroof delete for the purists...)

Rather.  80's/90's Plutocrats were known for their sun loving tendencies.

I'm not lazy!

Not with that many Porkers, no!

Thanks KGB - I bought a first gen Aussie 928 at the end of last year that is manual and non-sunroof.  The latter is probably rarer than the former.

Cloth (Berber) seats too. All very non typical 928.

Taz maybe head over to Alfisti.com/rustylittefwdwithcharm

Know all about rusty Alfas and have never- will never own one. Just last Sunday i was rubbing an Alfista up the wrong way re rust. Assured him the Russian steel deal was not a myth!

They should create an Alfa LFA. A few jokes could sprout from that.

The early 928 /S  front seats ( up to 1984 ) came in two main versions + a sports seat variant as well 

The first variant 928 ( non S ) mainly had the very simple full manual seats that sat quite low & gave excellent head room & with out sunroof ( more head room ) these early manual seats gave really good head room ( 928 4.5L Non S 1978 - 1982 ) , better still these mainly came with colour co ordinated fabric " Wool Berber" seat facia's , these looked good and were extremely comfortable ( when in good condition )

The 928S ( 1980 - 1984 ) were mainly spec'ed with the early electric seats , these were quite wide and were the first to have the top of the range ( for Recaro ) the 928only comfort pleats ( 3 dimensional padded pleats in the squab & lumber areas ) , these seats were electrically adjustable forward and back , but the up & down movement was the rear of the seat only , although very very comfortable when in good condition ( particularly when the seat facias were in wool berber cloth ) the overall dimensions of the seats were bulky & took away a bit of head room , this was particularly so if the said 928S ( 1980 - 1984 ) had a sunroof as well ( yikes ) not good if you were tall , but never bothered me at 5ft 10" , but if you were 6 foot , you have an issue  ( so this was the worst version for head room issues ) meaning 928S 1980 - 84 with sunroof & electric early seats 

The 928 & S ( 1978 - 1984) could be ordered with sports seats & these were mainly  manual seats with the raised side bolsters & usually without electrics gave better head clearance 

928S 1985 - 1986 & the 928S4 1987 - 1991 , 928GT 89/90 & the GTS 1992 - 1995  came with ( standard spec ) the newer thinner ( more headroom ) seats & the standard configuration was the 8 way electric , these now standard comfortable Recaro seats ( with the trademark 928 3 dimensional padded perforated pleats  ) came in a large range of leathers and fabrics on request , plus seat heating & the popular 12 way electrical seats ( mainly drivers seat ) this was the electrically adjustable lumber support ( very trick )

The Sports seats 1985 - 1995 , came in a bewildering amount of options ( if you knew what you were ordering from new ) , my favorite is the 928 85 - 95 sports seat with the special option of the 928 only 3 dimensional pleats ( perforated ) & 6 way electric adjustable ( rare & super comfort & incredible support ) 
The more common sport seat was the non pleat version , still very nice but not as trick or comfortable

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

Buchanan Automotive

Thanks Bruce, some great info and exactly what i needed to know. Now to figure out the best solution... Car is an 82 with recent interior refurb, matching with earlier seats may be difficult. Could the seat covers off the electric seats fit, with minor mods, the standard seat base... ?

I am 6'1" and really do need some more room....

Thanks

Thanks KGB (I think). If the locals are off for a run in the 928's let me know.  I like taking mine out to stretch its legs.  Removed the cats (is that bad?) and it sounds even stronger now.

I'm joining the SMT in a couple of Sunday's.  Why don't you join us.

Another question on seats. Does the 928 (82 model) have child anchor points installed, or probably more likely anywhere you can fit them?

Has anyone put a child seat (forward facing) or booster seat in the back of a 928? I know that it can be done, many US threads, but they have access to different seats to us. So would love to know brands if anyone has done.

Thanks

All Australian delivered 928/s had the ADR approved ( part of the ADR rules ) rear child seat anchor points directly behind the two rear seats , not sure if UK or HK ones have the same ( grey imports etc ) , in the case of a 928 , the factory fitted rear carpet ( luggage area) has two rectangle cut outs in the carpet directly above the anchor points , so that it gives easy access to bolt in the correct child seat rear strap bolt

And yes we get 928 customers cars in with rear child seats fitted in lots of versions , be it the type of car seat or type of 928 , we are now seeing more and more 951 / 944S2 / 968 customers cars with rear child seat installed 

Regards
Bruce Buchanan

Archived