996 - Buying Parts from overseas

smit2100

Any traps for new players when buying replacement parts/from overseas (US or europe) in terms of the Right Hand drive vs Left hand drive for 996's?

Specifically,

1) Do opposite hand rules mostly apply for mechanical and interior parts. What are the exclusions besides the usual suspects like  car mats, carpet moulding,  brackets that suit lhd vs rhd)

2) Is the center console in a 996 / 996tt the same for left hand or right hand drive models and will all current ancilliary parts  attached to a current console be a straight clip off, clip onto  a console sourced in europe or usa.

3) Will dash trim be opposite hand and fit, eg outer trip piece in usa on LHD car = inner trip piece on RHD car

I found the sunset porsche website handy for diagrams of carpart numbers and associated prices, but obvioulsy thats LHD US centric.

Cheers

My advice is develop a rapport with the parts manager at your local Porsche Centre. They are actually pretty competitive on pricing these days and with the poor exchange rates and cost of shipping, it doesn't always make sense to buy from O.S. anymore.

As for center console, I believe LHD is different to RHD but all of the ancillaries are the same and clip on/off. 

Smitty,

I strongly suggest you download a copy of the PET for your car as it actually notes the differences in the part numbers for the rhd and lhd models and not solely rely on the various websites.

As for where to buy, I suggest shop around and I find Pelican Parts good for getting an idea about costs for when planning a job.

After saying all that, now that I have got both cars to a point where there isn't anything left to attend to, I just call James at Autohaus for those bits and bobs.

If you're buying a replacement key make sure you check that it is on the same frequency as used in Australia.  UK use a different one so there is a bit more work in programming them from memory.

or just get a key for the region in which your car is from :)

+996 on the key USA are the same as us UK is different

Autoatlanta has better part diagrams and they have prices so you can get a feel for what the Aus dealerships might be charging (at least a very rough ballpark), but like everyone said the dealers have competitive prices because shipping from overseas suppliers is expensive! 

From what I have found:

- Centre console is the same (thats why our hand brakes are closer to the passenger side)

- Handbrakes with the 'PORSCHE' scripts are different the script should face the driver

- The bigger catch is the difference in Gen 1 and Gen 2 parts rather than LHD to RHD for example a '98 centre console has a different texture to my '04 console as well as the electric windows being a different texture and part number too

- There is a different interior silver trim in 03+ its subtle but ones metallic ones not

- Speedos are different (obviously in miles UK and USA, KMS in Germany)

- Most parts are RHD and LHD agnostic i.e. they will fit just check the parts diagrams but like about clarify in year

- One catch is when ordering parts make sure you keep in mind the drivers and passenger sides!

Sure i've forgotten a few ill list as I remember

+996 on the key USA are the same as us UK is different

Autoatlanta has better part diagrams and they have prices so you can get a feel for what the Aus dealerships might be charging (at least a very rough ballpark), but like everyone said the dealers have competitive prices because shipping from overseas suppliers is expensive! 

From what I have found:

- Centre console is the same (thats why our hand brakes are closer to the passenger side)

- Handbrakes with the 'PORSCHE' scripts are different the script should face the driver

- The bigger catch is the difference in Gen 1 and Gen 2 parts rather than LHD to RHD for example a '98 centre console has a different texture to my '04 console as well as the electric windows being a different texture and part number too

- There is a different interior silver trim in 03+ its subtle but ones metallic ones not

- Speedos are different (obviously in miles UK and USA, KMS in Germany)

- Most parts are RHD and LHD agnostic i.e. they will fit just check the parts diagrams but like about clarify in year

- One catch is when ordering parts make sure you keep in mind the drivers and passenger sides!

Sure i've forgotten a few ill list as I remember

Thanks, appreciate the post,  Yes I was looking for confirmation on the center console differences (understood they were the same which you have confirmed) and the silver interior parts eg doors handles, trim around the gearstick, glove box lock and handbrake. I Understood pre 2003,  the sliver is actually the artic silver colour, whereas 2003+ is alumilook and a slightly different shade and double the price. (looks like you confirmed that as well)

You're very welcome, also centre console colours can very in colour 98' black is different to '04 black. Also lots of parts from a 986 Boxster will fit a 996 Carrera. Just depends on what you're after :) I can usually confirm if it fits/suits just let me know! 

Archived