997.1 Carrera with PSE but I want it louder!

911 Snake

Hi all,

Firstly I did a search on the forum, rennlist and 911uk but no specific details to my question.

I have  997.1 Carerra with PSE. I have the exhaust button to open and close the baffles and currently have the plug disconnected in the engine bay so its open all the time. Great noise, but I would like it a little louder and throatier :) So,  what are some exhaust (sections) upgrades that I could consider that will still work in conjunction with my PSE? - I believe the baffles are located in the big mufflers behind the rear wheels so I wouldn't be changing them.

Doing a search I was considering the following which (I THINK) will give me a louder note but not effect the functionality of the PSE unit?

http://www.cargraphicts.com/index.php?id=120303&L=1 - 11th, 12th and 13th options from cargraphic

11th 

Sport Catalytic Converter Set <BR> "X" - Pipe Version-OBD2 compliant with 200Cell Catalytic Converters

Sport Catalytic Converter Set 
"X" - Pipe Version
OBD2 compliant with 200Cell Catalytic Converters

No ECU programming required and no CEL

12th

Assuming this is definitely illegal without cats?

13th  

Catalytic Converter Replacement Pipe Set <BR> "X" - Pipe Version-"X"-pipe version without catalytic converters

Catalytic Converter Replacement Pipe Set 
"X" - Pipe Version
"X"-pipe version without catalytic converters

Assuming this is definitely illegal without cats?

Appreciate if anyone has any other suggestions or alternatives? I'm purely going for sound and a relativity cheap option.

much appreciated!

Going catless is illegal in VIC and you can smell a catless car. I am assuming Police wouldn't distinguish that smell so should be right in that regard but you may have hwy drone or far too excessive noise. Would go the 200 cell cats if i was doing that modification. 

Thanks Macca,

I figured catless was completely illegal and assuming it applies to all other states as well. That narrows the three options to one then. Cheers.

I certainly want to keep all things above board and legal (excluding the decibels of which I can push the quiet button when needed :)). If anyone else has any other suggestions I'd love to know.

Thanks all.

Bit of a hack mod but you can also modify your air intake so the resonance/Helmholtz chamber stays closed giving a louder intake noise too ;) it also modifies the exhaust sound (or it did on my 996).

As for cats, highly recommend cargraphic, 200 CEL cats seem to be the way to go and give the best all round performance 

Apologies for the lack of reply over the weekend. Thanks for everyone's feedback!

WOW! Macca those bypass pipes are LOUD! love it - does it require a ECU re-program and does it throw a CEL light?

More research to do but I think I'll lean towards some new cats when It goes in for its service later this year. Weltmeister supply Cargraphic exhausts so I'll 'sound' them out

(pun intended)

Thanks all

I have some used AWE sports cats for sale

http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-997sexhaust

$1500 and they are yours, pick up Hawthorn, VIC

They will bolt up to the stock muffler sections and will add a much more throaty sound + a chunk of TQ

Cheers Teknostar, at this stage I'm just weighing up all options but thanks for the offer and will PM if interested down the track

Bypass pipes are removing the mufflers - agreed - they sound mean (on the videos) but for everyday driving it be too much IMO. It wouldn't throw a cel as the o2 sensors are pre exhaust (on the cats) and the claims of higher HP maybe ECU flash is needed - Fabspeed a pretty reputable (exhaust work)  but I would imagine with bypass pipes the quality of the engine note would be lost and that hollow (no muffler sound) would be more apparent than the high revving note. Unless its a track car - I would go the 200 cell cats / and or full exhaust set up. 

• 3 weeks later...

your welcome,

Bypass pipes if you really want loud. (don't think the sound would be enjoyable at low rpms)

http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-997-carrera-muffler-bypass-pipes/

This sounds nuts!  Turns your 996 into a fire breathing monster - sounds so similar to my old 930 [without the turbo whistle]. Wow - how has it been working for you??   I'm seriously interested after hearing your car in the movie!!  

This sounds nuts!  Turns your 996 into a fire breathing monster - sounds so similar to my old 930 [without the turbo whistle]. Wow - how has it been working for you??   I'm seriously interested after hearing your car in the movie!!  

Sorry , its not my car - I just linked a video of the bypass pipes from the fabspeed site ,coincidentally it happens to be a NSW plate so maybe someone here may know him etc.

(I have gundo hack) 

Archived