Tasmania. A playground for the car enthusiast

Simonk

my experience on the ferry ramps was no probs. I tend to scrape the front of my SC on driveways and gutters but not on the boat.  Wet steel plate floor and a cold engine with the revs up was a different matter...angry glares from the car deck crew. :D

and you have to be prepared for the fact that you can't sit in the car decks and warm your car up before driving out.

On our trip I think our ferries passed each other in bass strait. 

A bunch of us from Adelaide head down a couple times a year. Drive to Melbourne on the Friday, wake up in Devonport on Saturday morning. Over to Reece Dam and down to Strahan for lunch. Hobart for dinner and overnight. We usually avoid the traffic on the east coast and head north on Sunday morning via the Central Highlands. We'll play around Cethana and some of the other northern Targa stages before a run to the ferry, often being the last to board. Monday - straight off the ferry and back in Adelaide by 3pm. It's a lot of driving but what a great long weekend. We always avoid school holidays any events that bring extra traffic. The best driving in Australia. 

and you have to be prepared for the fact that you can't sit in the car decks and warm your car up before driving out.

At the time my car wasn't running too welI at startup. Warming up for a few minutes was essential.  I was prepared to cop it sweet for warming up the engine a bit.  A few choice words from a deckhand weren't going to bother me. 

FANTASTIC drive - 26 cars(can't be wrong) - mix of Porsche ,HSV GTS, 6.3 AMG, Corvette, Ferrari California, Audi R8

and Symmons Plains racetrack included !

Feeling the itch for next year.

Question… I have hacked around all over the top end in my classics and have my restorer there , not that iI have ever had any issues there, exce[t some dodgy fuel and a puncture….  

Its definately a paradise 

Whats the general availability of tyres etc there for newer cars?

Any locals tips? on consumables like 98 , Pilot Sports and Mars Bars?

Inspiring… that so many visit 

Amy locals tips?

One 997 turbo guy waited 2 weeks to get rears.There are "plenty" of newer cars here (not just Porsches) but not sure about availability. Why not ring the dealer and see what their experience is? 

If you blow a tyre whilst on the West Coast , well if you haven't booked a hotel there may be a few caravan park spots left somewhere. Accommodation is really stretched with all the tourism that's being promoted. Some new hotels being built/mooted.

Question… I have hacked around all over the top end in my classics and have my restorer there , not that iI have ever had any issues there, exce[t some dodgy fuel and a puncture….  

Its definately a paradise 

Any locals tips? on consumables like 98 , Pilot Sports and Mars Bars?

Inspiring… that so many visit 

98 should be available just about everywhere. In my trips with my old 67 Merc on Tasbash where we definitely do not follow main roads on only one occasion did I have to forgo 98 for 95, so going through the major roads you should be all fine.

Mar Bars - I prefer Picnics so cannot comment :D

This joint was probably the most sophisticated place we found outside the major (if you can call them that) cities. This was in Ouse and was the only place I saw that had petrol between Launceston and Hobart. Apparently we blinked and missed a few others. I wasn't fussed about putting 95 in but that was the fuel to put in when my car was born. There certainly wasn't any 98 at any of the servos I saw outside Devenport, Launceston and Hobart.

26080380056_6d90c420c2_c.jpgIMG_5244 by Simon Kovac, on Flickr

There is plenty of 98 available throughout Tas - . One of the biggest drives you will do through sparsely populated areas is Hobart to Strahan  (Strahan has 98), about 4 hours or 300 +/- for detours etc - most cars will do this easily on a tank of fuel. Check the BP and Caltex websites for locations, just about covered everywhere in Tas for 98 :)

I'm planning a trip down there with some mates either late this year or Easter-ish next.  I figure from speaking to people and looking at the distances you need about 5-6 days to do it properly without being in the car the entire time.  This is what I've mapped out and good to know there is plenty of 98 available.

Day 1- St Helens (undecided on accom) > Day 2 Swansee (maybe stay at Piermont Estate) > Day 3 Hobart (undecided on accom) > Day 4 Lake St Clair (looking to stay at http://www.pumphousepoint.com.au/)  > Day 5 Strahan (undecided on accom) > Day 6 back to Devenport and on the ferry.

I was surprised how available 98 was in Tasmania, in many regards it was easier finding it there than in country nsw. I did use the BP and Caltex apps to map out the 98 service stations before going down and that made it easier but it really was a lot easier to manage the fuel than it is when planning trips through the snowies/vic alps. 

Regarding the trip. Day 1 IMO you want to do in reverse (ie start at St. Helens). From St. Helens that is as good as any drive in the world. Day 2 is boring from a driving perspective, apart from the run up and down to St Mary's that's one long transport stage. Day 3 is also pure transport stage. In here you need to think about getting inland and into the central highlands IMO. Day 4 is great but I'd strongly recommend a detour to Gordon dam. Amazing road.  Day 5 have a look at plimsol which is a fun road and pieman road as a loop from  Tullah to Zeehan is great. On your day 6 you've missed hellyer gorge. One does not miss hellyer gorge in a sports car. 

If you can I'd be trying to do a bit more distance every day as well. 

Archived