AUDI (WAGON) APPRECIATION GROUP - RS2 S4 , RS4

michel

On 12/04/2019 at 23:11, AlexB7RS4 said:

I've owned a B7 RS4 Avant for the past 3 years. Problems listed above on the B7 are overblown a little. They do have DRC issues but in the same breath the B5 owner (nice B5 btw, very clean) mentioned swapping a B5 to coilovers to correct the handling issues? Do the same on a B7 and problem solved. It's what most owners do - I'm running KW V3s. Curb weight is 1710 not 1800 (Avant) and 1640ish for the Saloon - only the Cab is close to 1800.

Engines are basically bulletproof, as is the gearbox. Carbon build up happens if the cars aren't often revved out well and is ~$800 to have cleaned every 30-50,000km but isn't necessary - the car runs fine just loses 20 odd hp in the top end. Manifold flap linkages are a $350 replacement aftermarket if the issues occur, done at the same time as a carbon clean the labour cost is minimal. Basically the rest of the cost is consumables - brakes, tyres - no worse than any other car with big brakes and wide tyres.

For a driver's car the B7 is widely considered the high watermark for Audi RS cars. V8 Engine that revs to 8200rpm is intoxicating too. Having said that, it's no RWD dynamically and doesn't quite stack up to M cars or Porsches as a driver's car (though the interior is miles better than an M3). It's still suffering from being understeery as a result of the engine being so far in front of the front axle. No amount of suspension trickery can fix it, though as with the B5 a good set of ARBs can make it more neutral. They are very solid, well built cars. I've driven a few and even the poor condition ones don't really rattle or squeak and the gears and engine feel strong.

Interior of the B7 is far nicer than a B5 if you get one with the Recaro buckets and flat bottomed steering wheel. If you get the American comfort pack they are pretty similar other than standard age-related changes like infotainment, of which the B7 is also vastly outdated anyway. 

Other considerations: B5s are rarer and clearly on the way up in price, they look to be clear collectors items. When I bought my B7 in 2007, the B5s were ~$35k. Now they are mostly 70+. I suspect the B7s won't be far behind and are at the bottom of their depreciation. The Avants seem to be holding value at least though it's hard to tell with so few on the market and a wide range in price and condition - Saloons and Cabs perhaps still dropping.

B5 RS4's were asking 70k but difference between asking and transacting.  Only one in the last two years going forxanywhere near 70k ne thinks and that was one owner with about 15k.    Don's was one of best examples you will see and he would of loved 70k but think he was a bit off bit that.  700HP one with  with high  k's asking 60k and an honest example currently up for grabs for 35k.  

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 07/04/2019 at 18:53, itsujack said:

I bought it.  Needs a bit of work, but I'm ready for a new project. 

Almost counts as a Porsche, doesn't it?  Interestingly, the German government created a unique VIN code for the RS2 (they start with WAC) because it was a joint vehicle between Porsche and Audi.  And the VIN digit designating the official factory of record is Z, meaning Porsche's Rossle-Bau workshop in Zuffenhausen, which was available in 1994 because Porsche had just finished manufacturing the 959. 

21 hours ago, npvpositive said:

Almost counts as a Porsche, doesn't it?  Interestingly, the German government created a unique VIN code for the RS2 (they start with WAC) because it was a joint vehicle between Porsche and Audi.  And the VIN digit designating the official factory of record is Z, meaning Porsche's Rossle-Bau workshop in Zuffenhausen, which was available in 1994 because Porsche had just finished manufacturing the 959. 

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php/42320-PROJECT-(R)S2-More-Power?highlight=Rs2   some motivation to tweak it just a bit

22 hours ago, npvpositive said:

Congratulations. I like it. I remember when they came out all those years ago. Looks kind of retro.

Looking forward to hearing how it drives. Great little wagon!

Archived