International broker wanted - LA

another good source for Porsche is cars dawydiak in San Francisco - they have a couple of 930s, a 3.2 and a sc and a couple of long hoods in stock at the moment. http://www.carsauto.com/porsche-inventory.htm

You'd probably get that collector quality guards red sc back to oz for around $55k - a similar local car would be pushing $90k for sure.

i disagree

39k usd is 55aud. Add 5k shipping,  $8k.gat and cuatoms and you're at $68k before compliance. So over 70k for a lefty. Stil cheaper than 90, but it will always have the red-hair syndrome here in Oz.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done a bit of searching on Hemmings and also looked at the extra costs in the two Porsches for sale on usatoaus.

@ByronBayChris is spot on. The $16k (AUD) 914 they have advertised turns into $25k landed. 

http://usatoaus.com/Information.aspx?id=103863&keyword=porsche&description=false&minprice=&price=&cid=0&sidx=0&eidx=2

But, they are cheaper in USA.....I know.and I would buy again.

find the right car and it makes sence. I looked at a hot rod 912 and a rusty 65. The sums didn't add up despite asking price being low. Taking a gamble with the 76 for sure but provenance, scarcity and originality are in my favour.

I need to go check out that Beverly hills place - are they as rusty as they look online :) 

Flights booked  - i arrive in LA june 2 if anyone else is around

Tom, I'm get there on the 1st, leave for Hawaii on the 3rd. We're staying in the Hilton in Downtown, happy to meet up on the night of the '2nd if you fancy it. Bring your new mate along, apparently there's a fairly decent caff next to his gaff ;)

Tom, I'm get there on the 1st, leave for Hawaii on the 3rd. We're staying in the Hilton in Downtown, happy to meet up on the night of the '2nd if you fancy it. Bring your new mate along, apparently there's a fairly decent caff next to his gaff ;)

nice one. Emailed Man Magnus this afternoon to set up some kind of plan to meet - he usually answers about 4am :) . Definitely but for a PFA catch up - but how are we going to recognize one another? Wheres Kerry with those bloody T-shirts! 

And by the way, will people STOP posting adverts for cheap 911's for sale in the US!!

We leave for the US on  Saturday, 3 weeks travelling around starting in Dallas, then Philly (to drop off my Targa roof with Dan Petchel), couple of days in Orlando, then Chicago for the Memorial Day weekend, then San Fran (Napa Valley) and Monterey to see our friends who own Zurlinden's Porsche restorers, followed by LA then Hawaii.

I'm seriously having to resist asking Marc Zurlinden to look at the 88 Carrera on Pelican for sale at $38k, that would be a cracking little car to bring over here.

And by the way, will people STOP posting adverts for cheap 911's for sale in the US!!

We leave for the US on  Saturday, 3 weeks travelling around starting in Dallas, then Philly (to drop off my Targa roof with Dan Petchel), couple of days in Orlando, then Chicago for the Memorial Day weekend, then San Fran (Napa Valley) and Monterey to see our friends who own Zurlinden's Porsche restorers, followed by LA then Hawaii.

I'm seriously having to resist asking Marc Zurlinden to look at the 88 Carrera on Pelican for sale at $38k, that would be a cracking little car to bring over here.

just to let you know - the container my car will be in fits three cars. Just sayin

just to let you know - the container my car will be in fits three cars. Just sayin

When is said container leaving? And what sort of charges are you looking at to bring a West Coast car back to Sydney...?

When is said container leaving? And what sort of charges are you looking at to bring a West Coast car back to Sydney...?

depends on when i get to see and sign off the car (might get a few things fixed up in LA). Cost for shipping and all the checks door to door is just under $5k. Right now looking at about 6- 8 weeks depending on the shipping time tables. Interestingly spare parts get shipped for free although the government will want to slap GST on them

i disagree

39k usd is 55aud. Add 5k shipping,  $8k.gat and cuatoms and you're at $68k before compliance. So over 70k for a lefty. Stil cheaper than 90, but it will always have the red-hair syndrome here in Oz.

yeah he exchange has dropped recently and didn't actually do the sums.  I recommend not using me for your forex agent.  Also beer.

But, they are cheaper in USA.....I know.and I would buy again.

A++++++++ would buy again ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~oOO~~~~~~~~~~

Interestingly spare parts get shipped for free although the government will want to slap GST on them

Hey Tom can your mate hook us up with a 3.0 turbo engine preferably ready to plug in & a 76 engine number? or any 3.0 turbo engine?

Hey Tom can your mate hook us up with a 3.0 turbo engine preferably ready to plug in & a 76 engine number? or any 3.0 turbo engine?

yeah - good luck with that ;) 

actually I did a lot of trawling online to help put him in the right direction on a few things. Does help having a local on the ground though. I will ask around when I am there

yeah - good luck with that ;) 

actually I did a lot of trawling online to help put him in the right direction on a few things. Does help having a local on the ground though. I will ask around when I am there

That would be very much appreciated, i have found 2 early 3.0 turbo engines here in Aust but sellers are asking crazy money 

what are they asking?

Around 30 for a 77 then you have to factor in the recommissioning work plus install... would love to compare with US prices today 

Found this 76 engine from 2014 eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-930-turbo-engine-complete-1976-3-0liter-engine-type-930-51-/321591721806?nma=true&si=KmQBJqyVQR4IQUgnR6ZTScvcn6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Around 30 for a 77 then you have to factor in the recommissioning work plus install... would love to compare with US prices today 

Found this 76 engine from 2014 eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-930-turbo-engine-complete-1976-3-0liter-engine-type-930-51-/321591721806?nma=true&si=KmQBJqyVQR4IQUgnR6ZTScvcn6Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Tough call whether you bother isn't it? still going to be a non machining car which as you know hurts value. I cant see an engine of this type going for less than $20kUS ($27kAUS) and then as you say you still have to commission it and more than likely have to rebuild it. Was your car a US car? If so give me the original engine number - if I find that, then it would definitely be worth getting ;) 

and then an original wing....$10k?

Tough call whether you bother isn't it? still going to be a non machining car which as you know hurts value. I cant see an engine of this type going for less than $20kUS ($27kAUS) and then as you say you still have to commission it and more than likely have to rebuild it. Was your car a US car? If so give me the original engine number - if I find that, then it would definitely be worth getting ;) 

and then an original wing....$10k?

Yea its a tough call but the sale of my current 3.3 engine will off set the cost some what, not sure if its worth it in the end but if i keep the car for a very long time it will be worth it for me 

My car is a 76 Californian car #180 don't know the original engine# yet but will ask PCM today, i have a rear wing

Yea its a tough call but the sale of my current 3.3 engine will off set the cost some what, not sure if its worth it in the end but if i keep the car for a very long time it will be worth it for me 

My car is a 76 Californian car #180 don't know the original engine# yet but will ask PCM today, i have a rear wing

our cars probably spent some time together :) 

James, I can ask Dan Petchel if he knows of any 3 litre Turbo engines for sale if you like? He had 5 911 engines and probably 30+ Fuchs wheels stacked up in his garage when I was there last week and reckons he has over $200k worth of spares from cars he's broken over the years just sat in one of his storage units, as he owns a couple of Turbo's I guess he may be someone worth asking. I bought some other small bits off him that are coming back with my roof ?

Archived