Hunting a Red 924 LHD Conversion

poli84

This is a real long shot but I am hunting down my dad's old 924.

It was a Californian car, originally black, dad got it converted to RHD in the early 90's, and resprayed red. Had the USA rear centre reflector. 

He sold it shortly after finishing the work to a buyer from SA, again in the 90's. The buyer flew from Adelaide and met dad at the airport, then drove it back to SA without drama. 

Black vinyl interior with manual wind up windows, had original wheels in silver and a removal sunroof.   

I would love to find this car for sentimental value, I spent hours as a small kid just sitting with dad in the garage while he worked on this 924. Was an absolute piece of shit when dad bought it but he really put way too much time and money into it but from memory (I would have been about 10 when it sold), was eventually a really nice car. I've always had this idea in my mind to buy this car but after seeing Edgy's recent purchase, it has inspired me to get my ass into gear. Dad is trying to locate paperwork with the VIN but is unsure whether he will still have anything. 

Do the above specs sound familiar to anyone here?

I thought you had a more important project? ;)

haha this isn't the real project, just a side project which is a side to the "more important project". I don't expect to find this car for some time but a young man like myself can never have too many balls in the air. 

In that case, the 924 will appear any minute now...

Murphy's law right?

Good luck with finding it! 

My dad also had a red 924, although it was aussy delivered with every option marked. Needs a respray now and some love. That's what got me into my 944 turbo. 

Thanks Pauly! It's a long shot but worth having a go. 

another suggestion is to do a rego search or PPSR with the vin # & engine # 

That might help you locate it last whereabouts or if its indeed still registered? the rego search is a state to state thing, so you may have to do that individually, the PPSR is national.

www.ppsr.gov.au

Edgy I am pretty sure the ppsr register is only going to flag it if it's encumbered as you only register it because you have an ownership interest like a bank or finance company.

the vin might show up on a Google search if it's on a public data base like a club register or been listed for sale at some time recently with the vin details.

sorry get it will confirm if its  registered however dosnt get you any closer to the owner. i have sourced a few old mercs for a collector friend over the past few years and have been quite surprised what does come up on  google search with the vin etc mind you they have been usually owned by enthusiasts and have often had club use so they tend to show up on register etc.

hope that poli's dad can find the vin as its a great starting point for any search.

Archived