Removing Paint from Chrome Trim

eoghanroe

I've been debating whether or not I should remove the paint from the trim around my windscreen since I bought the car. It's started to flake off in a few spots and the chrome seems to be intact underneath so I'm going to bite the bullet this weekend.

I'll be doing it in situ and planning to use something like Goof Off as it will get the paint off and should be forgiving on the chrome and rubbers.

Any advice?

I know this will sound weird, yet to clean up all the original chrome trim on the 912, I LIGHTLY used a stainless steel wool. The stuff you buy from the supermarket that you clean pots n pans with. I also used it on the chrome hubcaps, and to remove years of neglect on the SC alloy wheels which came up a treat

I'm going to use it on my SC' windscreen trim, as the paint is also flaking off, but it looks like someone has just painted it flat black with a brush, so original paint might be a bit tougher to remove

I read about using 0000 steel wool. Coca Cola and aluminium foil is also meant to work well.

I'm thinking steel wool to start with, then Goof Off and a bit of metal polish to finish. If the windscreen trim comes up well I'll consider the rest. Worst case scenario the chrome is in a bad state and I just paint it black again.

You have to mask off carefully , esp as fine steel wool particles get everywhere (esp into lil cracks) , stick to paint outside and inside - and then go rusty. You can never vacuum out all the dust. It will be an interesting exercise,  esp if you knock the coke over :rolleyes:

Hi guys, this may be a bit off topic but I have an 80's 911 which has the black door handles & window frames. It's been back dated to a 70's look but still has the black frames. I'd like to make them silver.

do you know what needs to be done and who in melb can do this? 

Best way is to remove the frames and handles, and have them paint stripped and chromed.   Alternatively, you could buy some aftermarket handles, and source some early frames with the opening quarter windows and have them restored for that more accurate backdate look. I'm 98% sure they're the same dimensions as a later car, as I measured my SC ones compared to my 912, and they were the same (I would like to have an opening quarter window and manual wind up instead of power windows)

It'd be interesting to know if anyone has done this, and whether the frame mounting holes are in the same place as an earlier car

Best way is to remove the frames and handles, and have them paint stripped and chromed.   Alternatively, you could buy some aftermarket handles, and source some early frames with the opening quarter windows and have them restored for that more accurate backdate look. I'm 98% sure they're the same dimensions as a later car, as I measured my SC ones compared to my 912, and they were the same (I would like to have an opening quarter window and manual wind up instead of power windows)

It'd be interesting to know if anyone has done this, and whether the frame mounting holes are in the same place as an earlier car

Thanks Lee,

I might try option A and get a quote from the mechanic... Good, at least I know whats required now.

The quarter window idea sounds good but I might hang on to the electric version... not that hard core.

Cheers,

philbee

The best way to remove the paint if it is not Two Pack is to remove the trim and then use some Acrylic Thinners which will soften the paint and then wipe off. As suggested by others use a Fine Steel Wool ( Don't use Steelos as they are too course) and polish the Chrome. You can then use a fine metal polish or car polish to finish the job off. If the Paint is two pack the only way is to use Paint Stripper to remove the paint, but test a small area first to ensure it does not tarnish the Chrome. I have never removed the trims so I am not sure how hard this is to do, but it would certainly be the best way.

Cheers

Archived