1974 Targa

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No real updates as such.

Was back home in Ireland for Christmas so the car was parked up for about 2.5 weeks. Got back Monday morning expecting I'd have to give the RACV a call but no, she fired up first go. I went for a quick blast to blow out the cobwebs and she's running sweet. A true testament to classic German engineering.

• 4 months later...

So, myself and a mate have been talking about doing a little video shoot for a while and yesterday I finally pulled the thumb out, cleaned the car and met up with him. Here is a bit of a teaser, stay tuned...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Targa Eoghan! I have a '78 and about to do a respray. Did you mention you put a chrome grill on the back? Pic make it look black, I only ask as I am thinking of doing the same. In regards to the chrome I am told most up to 78 had stainless hoop and chrome trim/headlight surrounds as standard. 

would you mind sending me the contact for the coco mats?

thanks for the thread loved reading

stu

Hi Stu,

I had planned on putting a chrome grille on after the the wing was removed but further research indicated that it should be black.

At some stage my car was updated to SC-ish spec. The rear arches were widened, chrome trim was painted black, wing mirrors changed etc. I'm toying with the idea of stripping the black paint off but not sure how keyed the chrome was. It's coming off in a few spots and the chrome seems to be untouched. I really want to change the headlight trim to chrome but I don't want to swap out the whole units and the aftermarket trim aren't reviewed well on Pelican Parts.

I ordered the mats from http://www.cocomats.com/ . I've been lazy and still have to adjust the templates...

In other news, a few bits arrived earlier this week. Only ordered them last week so it was a nice surprise.

I've been looking at grille badges for a while and finally settled on this one.

ae300ad1aeee7b333974594d42b3e1c5.jpg

It's a repro but I don't mind. The enamel wasn't in the best nick so the company are sending me a new one free of charge. I've already sold this one to a guy I work with that's into his air cooled VWs so all good.

Also, finally got a replacement key that I'm happy with. I found this one based on a 917 ignition, which I think is pretty nifty.

6b0e4c71b6676eb7dbc3597d380450b1.jpg

Thanks for the link - I have been thinking about those mats for a while, I will have a look. I here chrome is expensive but I am keen to put mine back to chrome too

@LeeM Hold off on any order. I just got back from the locksmith and it mightn't be the right profile. They seemed to think it was a Beetle key but the key I currently use is cut from the valet key, so that might be causing the confusion.

I'm going to see if the key fits in the barrel this evening and if that works I'll be back tomorrow.

Cheers mate

Doubt I'd be buying one from either supplier. Need a spare for both the 911 and 912, so I'll go to a key supplier/engraver, and see what they have, then drill the holes with a drill press

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over the weekend I bit the bullet and stripped the paint off the windscreen trim in the hope that the chrome was in good shape underneath. It was flaking off in spots anyway so nothing to lose. Sorry in advance for the poor phone snaps.

IMG_1535_zpsgsd4zqpq.jpg

I used 0000 grade wire wool and Goof Off. Took a bit of time but I'm happy with the results.

IMG_1537_zpsp5c2puoc.jpg

Turned out that the chrome had been keyed, except for the spots where is was coming off. I'm going to sand it more so that it's more even and will tie in nicely with the rollbar. It's given the car more a retro feel which I like.

Only finished shot I got was in the neon glow of a local bordello. Spent some time getting a few coats of wax on it, which took longer than some of the clientele...

IMG_1540_zpswokul4jh.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll get some better snaps over the weekend.

Thinking about spacing the back out by 20-25mm. Some man math indicates that it shouldn't cause any issues. Between that and the getting the front down a tad should get it closer to the stance I want to achieve.

May be the wrong place to mention this, but I hear a lot of talk about wheel spacers on this forum, but as far as I know wheel spacers are illegal for road use in Australia - unless the car came fitted with them (I think the 928 GTS did and maybe some other P cars did , but surely not all?). Happy to be corrected/ informed :) 

May be the wrong place to mention this, but I hear a lot of talk about wheel spacers on this forum, but as far as I know wheel spacers are illegal for road use in Australia - unless the car came fitted with them (I think the 928 GTS did and maybe some other P cars did , but surely not all?). Happy to be corrected/ informed :) 

thats correct - certainly in Victoria anyhow

• 2 weeks later...

Windscreen is looking good mate, nice improvement and yes, adds to the retro feel.

Spacers are illegal (they are a non-roadworthy item) and they could/will impact you insurance if you need to make a claim. Owner beware but I have a set which will soon be installed on my 964. Ran them for years on my old Audi S3 also.

Spacers are illegal (they are a non-roadworthy item) and they could/will impact you insurance if you need to make a claim. Owner beware but I have a set which will soon be installed on my 964. Ran them for years on my old Audi S3 also.

Not something that I would be sharing on a open forum either....

Also could raise a legal issue if car was ever involved in a crash, whether it be your fault or not....

Not something that I would be sharing on a open forum either....

Also could raise a legal issue if car was ever involved in a crash, whether it be your fault or not....

Each to their own, running spacers is not something I am afraid of posting on the internet though. If VicRoads wants to read this and yellow slip my car, they know where to find me. 

Archived