1974 Targa

Why can't I just leave things alone?

coz it's a Porsche thing.  That's how we roll.  I think chrome bezels are correct for your car,  but someone else can probably confirm it.  My 81 has chrome bezels behind the body coloured over-covers.  

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so it begins, ordered the first few bits for the interior this evening - mats, gear knob and horn button.

I've gone for black and grey Coco mats. Not to everyone's taste but I love them and I think they're a nice period correct accessory. Should help lift the dark interior a bit too. Here's them in a slightly earlier 911.

Screen-Shot-2015-08-23-at-19.07_zpsxjzm5

I've gone for two front and a runner as the rear is obsolete. This is the runner in a different colour.

1973Porsche911Coco52BlackYellow04_zpsjkx

I've also gone with the same knob as above.

The original Porsche Momo horn buttons are mental money if they can be found. I've read a few forums and this one gets two thumbs up. It'll do for a fraction of the price.

71buIBdnzmL._SY355_.jpg

The mats take up to 4 weeks to be made so should hopefully have the car in my possession with all the bodywork done by then.

I hadn't noticed the tensioners or the repeaters, I'm still a bit ignorant to the finer details. Do the chrome headlight bezels fit the newer guards?

I'm currently doing up a spreadsheet of bits 'n' bobs that I want to pick up over the next while. Why can't I just leave things alone?

the arguments about whether a car should have side repeaters have been running here for a long, long time.  As yours is a uk import I would guess it falls into a different set of rules for side repeaters.

soon enough someone will ask if the smog pump is still attached...that's another running in-joke!

chrome vs painted headlight rings - I believe they are the same part.

the arguments about whether a car should have side repeaters have been running here for a long, long time.  As yours is a uk import I would guess it falls into a different set of rules for side repeaters.

soon enough someone will ask if the smog pump is still attached...that's another running in-joke!

chrome vs painted headlight rings - I believe they are the same part.

glad you said it and it wasn't me! lol

have you tried contacting Porsche to see what it had from the factory? - might be worth a shot if you want to go back to stock.

but it's an amazing looking car no matter what, love those mats too

Thanks guys. 

A friend is the VP of the Porsche Club Ireland so he's going to get as much info on the car as possible for me. 

To be honest, the repeaters wouldn't bother me. They're a safety feature after all. 

Waiting on a pattern for the tunnel cover to arrive. Coco haven't made one for a RHD car before so this is a bit of R and D for them. 

Bodywork has begun and we've sourced an original chrome deck lid grille. Hopefully it's plain sailing from here...

Not going for a full respray this time, just getting it blown-in. I'm trying to not let this turn into a project. Further down the line I'd love to backdate it and change the colour, but that's a long way away yet.

Looking good for collection on Saturday if everything goes according to plan.

Good and bad update from the garage this afternoon. Car was painted and ready for clear but off a shade or two so they're doing it again.

I was all set to pick it up this weekend but I'll happily wait for quality. I can't make out the difference from the photos and I'm being very picky. I see it as reassurance that the job is being done right.

IMG_0355_zpsndn2tppa.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsvey4ghbn.jpg

IMG_0357_zpsnji3n6me.jpg

IMG_0358_zpsyzfx1lzy.jpg

Very happy with how it's looking. I wasn't sure about the arch spats but didn't know what would be lurking behind them. Going to leave them off I think.

Just off the phone with the paint shop manager. Very apologetic for the paint and as a make good they're respraying the whole car. These guys charge an eye-watering $20,000 - $25,000 for a full respray so I'll take that...

WOW, that's fantastic, you lucked out there.

You can see where it's off , Very hard to match. So it makes sense to respray the whole thing as you could spend a week trying to get it right otherwise. And even then it would not match after a few months in the sun!

Yeah, that's basically what they told me. If body shops here or anything like home, the vast majority would hand the car back even if it was a subpar job and deny anything is wrong.

Yeah, that's basically what they told me. If body shops here or anything like home, the vast majority would hand the car back even if it was a subpar job and deny anything is wrong.

Been there :(     Your panel shop looks like they have some pride in their work.  Give 'em a plug when you get your car finished.  

I guess by "spats" you mean the black stone guard patches on the rear arches.  They're not just for looks.  I'd put them back on to avoid stone chips & tears down the road. 

Been there :(     Your panel shop looks like they have some pride in their work.  Give 'em a plug when you get your car finished.  

I guess by "spats" you mean the black stone guard patches on the rear arches.  They're not just for looks.  I'd put them back on to avoid stone chips & tears down the road. 

+1.  Plenty of debris on Aussie country roads that get flicked up by your front tyres and will damage the rear guards.  If you don't like the look you can get clear stone guards like thos that were used on later models, but for mine the black stone guards look right on an IB 911.

Archived