1974 Targa

Hi all,

Just came across the forum and thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Eoghan (awkward Gaelic spelling of 'Owen') and I'm an Irish expat living in Melbourne for the past three years. I'm a diehard German car enthusiast and still moderate Autostadt.ie, Ireland's leading German car forum.

My background is all VWs but last weekend a lifelong dream became a reality and I purchased a 1974 911 Targa. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic and can't wait to pick it up. I've attached the one good snap I have of it.

Looking forward to having a look around the forum and hopefully attending some meets/cars and coffees around Melbourne in the coming months.

Eoghan

11846515_10153635266456995_5658503071240716405_n.jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Car looks good.. I dont remember seeing it mentioned on the forum here.. 

Congrats and tell us all about it!

The car was sold to Hyde Park in 1974 and later exported to Australia in 1976 where it has been since. It comes with a lot of history and receipts from the early 1980s through to this month. The gentleman it was being sold on behalf of is unfortunately losing his eyesight so is going through his bucket list of cars and traveling. Next up for him is a Corvette, to be followed by a Healey, I believe.

It started on the button from cold and ticked over nicely. When I got it out on the road I knew I wasn't leaving without it. It pulled strong and handled like it was on rails. When I got back to the garage it was put up on a lift for me to have a good look. No signs of rust in the kidney bowls or oil leaking and the suspension had been upgraded to Koni. Jackpot!

At some stage the car has been resprayed to a good standard, as well as a whale tail being retrofitted along with newer wing mirrors. The original Cookie Cutters have also been replaced with staggered 16" Fuchs finished in black with a polished lip.

Inside the previous owner had fitted a Momo Prototipo which works great with black leather/cloth tombstones, and if they're good enough for Singer, they're good enough for me. The dash is perfect with no cracks. The audio has also been updated to an Alpine head unit and speakers.

Nice purchase Eoghan.

How long was the car advertised for? I knew I wasn't daydreaming when I saw it on-line  :)

Look forward to catching up at one of hte PFA events

The ad went online at 11:00 on Saturday morning and my head was under the deck lid by 11:45. I have missed out on a few cars over the past few months but I couldn't let this one slip through my fingers.

Are there many GTGs in Melbourne? Only had a quick look at the events section and didn't see anything.

I dig the sold sign.

Nice work on a stainless rollbar Targa - the best looking type IMO

If I was to describe my ideal car, this is it...

I've told myself this isn't a project and it's just a car to be loved and driven. At the moment I'm waiting to hear back about removing the 'tail and having a small rust bubble seen to. Other than that I won't be doing much to it. At some stage I'll look at a more period correct head unit, putting a Porsche badge on the steering wheel and getting a set of coco mats. After that I'll look at original bright work.

I still have to pick it up. I know the owner has some parts but I don't know what. I'd be putting Fuchs on it regardless, I think they're the quintessential Porsche wheel. Had a set on a Mk2 Golf before I moved here.

Untitled-111.thumb.jpg.570b62728a4937a03

Meh you can keep original cookie cutters, fuchs look 10x better.

You won't see too many Mk2 Golfs in Australia.  Only 150 8V GTis imported - all 4 door in white, silver or red, at the time they were eye-wateringly expensive (I recall $40k in 1990, but might be off base) .  A friend of mine has an original Oz Del GTi with about 350,000 on it and the original engine long gone in favour of a series of 16V engines.

Considering the sheer number of Golfs on the road today it's amazing to think they once only managed to sell 150 in 2 years.  They probably sell that many a week now.

Not many Mk2s left back home any more. A lot of the non-GTIs were diesel and very popular with farmers who drove them into the ground.

The one above was a very rare spec and first sold to a doctor in 1990. He ticked every option box and there was only 65,000kms on the clock when I bought it in 2011 with a full VW history until it was parked up. Saved it from a scrap yard for the cost of the scrap metal.

Not many Mk2s left back home any more. A lot of the non-GTIs were diesel and very popular with farmers who drove them into the ground.

The one above was a very rare spec and first sold to a doctor in 1990. He ticked every option box and there was only 65,000kms on the clock when I bought it in 2011 with a full VW history until it was parked up. Saved it from a scrap yard for the cost of the scrap metal.

Amazing what cars get thrown away in Europe.  A discarded car has a negative value because of the requirements to spend money to draw off fluids and recycle etc.  I knew a guy who worked in Yorkshire in waste/recycling for the local government.  Abandoned/discarded cars were a constant headache because they cost so much money to collect and dispose.  The condition of some of the abandoned cars is shocking to Australians used to seeing cars driven until they completely fall apart and kept going on a diet of spares.  Hit a curb, bend a wheel, break a spring and pop a tyre - lock the doors and walk away and get another car for 500 quid because it's not worth getting a tow and a repair.

I saw the car advertised the other day and thought it looked like a good deal. If I had the money laying around I would have jumped on it. That rollbar really completes the package for me with color matching the polished fuchs. Hopefully you manage to bring it to DakDak next week so we can all get an up close look at it.

Your MK2 looked really nice as well.

Thats a great looking example - just swap the stereo for something more traditional looking and maybe ditch the wing.    Love the condition.

Thanks Chris. 

The wing and stereo are both on the list. I'd love a Becker Mexico 7948 but they're just too expensive. Think I'll go for a Retro Sound one instead. 

Lookin Good , welcome 

Thanks symsy. 

Welcome to the forum Eoghan.  Sweet looking car. Those stainless roll bar targas are the business.  I see hydraulic chain tensioners.   Nice upgrade.  I also noticed the side repeater lamps. Has it had later front guards fitted?  Re the wing, lots of people seem to be going back to flat lids now.

I'm thinking about buying a targa myself. Coz I don't have enough cars.

Enjoy.

Stew

I hadn't noticed the tensioners or the repeaters, I'm still a bit ignorant to the finer details. Do the chrome headlight bezels fit the newer guards?

I'm currently doing up a spreadsheet of bits 'n' bobs that I want to pick up over the next while. Why can't I just leave things alone?

Archived