1974 Targa

Windscreen is looking good mate, nice improvement and yes, adds to the retro feel.

Spacers are illegal (they are a non-roadworthy item) and they could/will impact you insurance if you need to make a claim. Owner beware but I have a set which will soon be installed on my 964. Ran them for years on my old Audi S3 also.

lol, some body should tell all the people running widebody converted 911's who don't understand offset

2AfMtKi.jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, yesterday was a pretty crap day. At some stage in the last week my car was damaged. I thought it might have happened when parked street-side yesterday morning but I've since found paint chips on the ground at my parking spot. There are plenty of CCTV cameras but of course none that look directly at my car.

I have a theory that something was left on the roof and slid off. I could have been the person I rent the spot off accessing their storage locker or the people that park either side. I'll never be able to prove either though. Security in my building are taking it very seriously and the person working the nightshift was going to trawl footage to see if there was anything odd or people struggling with something heavy.

I'm very annoyed by it and really questioning people. Can you not have nice things anymore?

I called Shannons straight away and they've been amazing. Luckily I've never had to call an insurer for any reason other than getting quotes and renewal. The two people I spoke to were so nice about the whole thing. The excess will be $500 and it won't affect my no-claims bonus (- 65%). I also get to choose who carries out the repair. 

Here's the damage:

IMG_1689-2%20copy_zps3j7icgsl.jpg

IMG_1695-1%20copy_zpspyanzwo5.jpg

IMG_1694-1%20copy_zpselj0clbc.jpg

IMG_1693-1%20copy_zpslvsasenr.jpg

It could be a lot worse but it's just the unwanted expense and hassle. Between servicing, registration and heading back to Ireland for a month it couldn't have happened at a worse time of year. The car still looks great from the drivers side though...

Street_zpsrslwlmjp.jpg

Deliberate vandalism with a sorta blunt object

Really, you reckon it looks deliberate? My car park is full of very expensive cars - Ferraris, R8s, modern Porsches, AMGs etc. No other damage has been reported, hence me assuming accidental damage. 

Really, you reckon it looks deliberate? My car park is full of very expensive cars - Ferraris, R8s, modern Porsches, AMGs etc. No other damage has been reported, hence me assuming accidental damage. 

The two pronged attack is near the corner of the panel and it's quite strong there and of course resistant to general accidental  "soft" dents, IMO I think someone has hit that twice with something to do that .... probably the Fcar owner, jealous that your car gets more looks than his ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Picked the car up this afternoon from Harrison RRR and I'm delighted. I took the long way home it's like a different car to drive. Feels a lot more nimble and responsive, and the car just runs better.

There was a bit more done in the end than I had originally expected but I have to say that my first experience with classic Porsche maintenance costs was no different to any 42 year old car.

Work carried out included:

• Oil and filter change
  • Complete general inspection of the car including levels, electrical etc
  • Driverside lock repaired
  • Torsion bars adjusted - front 20mm lower and rear 5mm higher
  • Clutch cable replaced
  • Accelerator linkage bushings replaced
  • Front wheel bushings tightened
  • Wiring behind one of the headlights was replaced

Spencer was an absolute gent. Explained in detail the work done and answered any of my stupid questions.

Off to be bodyshop tomorrow morning to get it all spruced up.

IMG_0032%20copy_zps6a2itxmy.jpg

Went down to the car this morning and noticed that the headlight trim was a bit off from where the wiring was fixed. Out with my trusty penknife to remove the retaining screw and took the trim off to find the original chrome bezels hiding underneath. These have been on the wish list since day one but couldn't being myself to buy them. 

IMG_5042%20copy_zps4swmgnyl.jpg

FullSizeRender-1%20copy_zpsuq2kfi17.jpg

Another step towards 70s design perfection. I'll need to pick up fresh chrome window trim now though.

Went down to the car this morning and noticed that the headlight trim was a bit off from where the wiring was fixed. Out with my trusty penknife to remove the retaining screw and took the trim off to find the original chrome bezels hiding underneath. These have been on the wish list since day one but couldn't being myself to buy them. 

Excellent result, that's a good win! The chrome bezels look to be in excellent condition, work perfectly with the car.

• 1 month later...

Flight landed at 6:30, home by 8:00 and at Paint & Custom by 8:45. Needless to say I was like a kid at Christmas...

I'm delighted with the work. It's a very high standard but isn't laughing at the other paint either. In the end, the bonnet, wing, scuttle and door got paint, and the windscreen trim got replaced too. This was never mentioned but I'm delighted it was done as it was the next thing on the list. Anyway, impromptu photoshoot when I got home...

1_zps9nzqk5ot.jpg

2_zpskwjqe21b.jpg

3_zpsxhog772j.jpg

4_zps6ctfckd1.jpg

6_zps5vcu9x2e.jpg

5_zpsdma0eo8v.jpg

Now to figure out shipping it home...

Started packing up for the big move today and came across the documentation that came with the car. When I bought it they had a folder of receipts and the dealer's literature - the previous owner was going to give them the service folder at a later stage. I forgot to look at it with all the excitement and only looked at it this morning.

Anyway, I knew the car was UK delivered and moved to Melbourne in 1976. I was told it was sold in Hyde Park, so presumed London. It was actually Isaac Agnew in Hyde Park, Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland. I'm returning the car to where is came from 40 years ago.

The name on the delivery shows up a steel company in Northern Ireland when I google it. Going to do as much research as possible, can't have been too many 911s around Newtownabbey in the 1970s.

IMG_0491_zpspgzajjwr.jpg

IMG_0492_zpsoflyzydd.jpg

IMG_0493_zps5rz2l7dm.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I hope to be at the RSR meet up.

The new head unit arrived yesterday so I put it together this afternoon. I'm really happy with it and can't wait to get it into the car. The quality is better than I expected to be honest. Hope to get it installed over the next few weeks.

IMG_0531_zpsndmfuli6.jpg

The white numbers on the screen are a screen protector I put on so can be removed. I'm not sure if they add anything to it.

Archived