1974 Targa

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been commuting to work in the 911 for two days now and it hasn't skipped a beat. Not that it's a long commute, 10 minutes max, but it sure as hell beats taking the tram!

Had to park in the elements last night and typically it lashed rain. Headed out to the car with a towel in hand expecting the worst but it was bone dry! Success!

Hadn't gotten a chance to play with my new camera so took a few snaps on my way into work this morning.

1_zpsd0s05ynb.jpg

2_zpsuvb0mmoy.jpg

3_zpsxtkpao6s.jpg

4_zpscjqt1vqc.jpg

Heading down the coast for the long weekend. Looking forward to blowing out the cobwebs. She's fine around the city but I know she's dying to get out on the open road.

Once the bank account recovers it'll be full steam ahead with the new stereo and getting the front down to match the rear.

So over the weekend I covered just under 500KMs. Some motorway but mostly twisty country roads  :D

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-04%20at%2019.52.

Left early on Friday thinking I'd skip the traffic but everybody had the same idea it seems. Good bit of bumper to bumper but not a bother, temp didn't get too high at all so that was a great start. Handles the motorway with ease and was really running well after the first hour or so.

First stop was Portsea, stunning down there. We then continued down the coast around French Island to Phillip Island in the hope to see some penguins. There were no penguins but Jesus, some nice, windy roads. Kept going on as far as Warragul but being wine country and it getting later I really nursed it. One thing I’ve noticed a lot here, and that’s driving with no lights on! I tend to drive with dips on at all times, might be something to do with coming from a perpetually wet country…

Until this weekend it’s been all city and motorway driving, and after the last few days I just want to get back out on the twisties. The summer is only beginning so I'm sure I'll get out and explore a lot more. Great Ocean Road and the Yarra Valley are next.

Didn't get any good snaps, rookie move and didn't charge the camera. Just the one on the phone from a stop off in Rye.

Untitled-2_zpsfdkxigdk.jpg

So, finally test fitted the mat templates tonight. The first set went missing (herself thought they were junk and binned them) so I got them emailed through and was able to print them in work on the large format printer.

I'll have to do a bit of trimming and adding before I send them back. If I didn't have the seat fully back I'd probably get away with them as is. They're also replacing the existing mats so don't want any underlay showing. I'l use the old mats as a guide and can take it from there. I'll also be able to mark the heel pad exactly in the right place.

Need to pick up a head torch, my phone in the door wasn't really cutting it and it'll be handy to have in the glovebox.

PA120038_zpsh56yrbnd.jpg

PA120042_zpsxhro2hul.jpg

PA120044_zpssix3yjpo.jpg

PA120049%20copy_zpspsniabzi.jpg

PA120058_zpskxhmc9fx.jpg

This arrived in the post this morning.

I can't find a definitive answer to placement and if they came on impact bumper cars but hey, I like it. The glass needs a good clean so I'll fit it then.

IMG_0670_zpsmaejcjt4.jpg

P.S. I hadn't left my lights on.

The car got its first wash yesterday. We have a detailer come to our office once a week but I've held off until I thought the paint was well cured and I sounded the guy out. Gratuitous iPhone pic of her all tucked up for the night -

IMG_0684_zpstmg31wsv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Eventful evening. A mate asked me if he could use my car in a video he was shooting. Have a professional videographer shoot my car? Eh, sure.

Anyway, got to the rooftop they were set up on - 19 floors and 38 huge speed bumps later. I parked up and let them at it.

Next thing everybody was crowded around the door. I thought the model couldn't open the door because the handle is a bit stiff, but no, she had broken the key in the lock! I have no idea how she managed to do it. I dug deep and tried not to lose my cool. They had been filming another of my friends’ 1965 Honda CB160 so I sent him off to get the valet key at home and a few tools.

Managed to get the blade out and the lock seems fine so it would have been a lot worse if I had to get new barrels. They’re replacing the key with a genuine Porsche one so it’ll be fine. Need to find somewhere tomorrow to get another cut but finding a blank locally mightn't be easy.

IMG_0743_zpsekw5bs2a.jpg

Ironically, the shoot was for a company that makes wallets and key rings.

It was tough but I knew flipping out wouldn't help the situation. There were a few expletives but they were directed at the guy that said they'd 'help out' with replacing it. Help out? It's not a '97 Falcon. Anyway, I won't be left out of pocket. 

• 3 weeks later...

This arrived in the post this morning -

IMG_0838_zpsodzdgpbp.jpg

Early Christmas prezzie from the missus, even though we said we weren't doing presents this year since we're going back to Ireland for a few weeks...

My inner child is saying to tear it open but the grown-up voice in my head is saying to leave it sealed.

Archived