1974 Targa

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Radio was fitted yesterday morning. Very happy with it. Sound quality seems very good and looks right at home in the dash. I removed the screen protector, it looked a bit weird. 

Only thing I found was that it's a bit fiddly setting up the clock, screen colour, Bluetooth etc. This is due to the limited number of buttons. 

edb3fcc3b4fe9edb810ac599984fbc04.jpg

I'll try and get a photo of it illuminated later.

• 2 months later...

So after two and a half very long months, the car finally made it back to Irish soil on Saturday morning. Customs called me to say that the container has been cleared and will be ready for collection at 13:00 tomorrow. 

I can't see myself getting to much sleep tonight. Fingers crossed it rolls out of the container the way it rolled into it. I have petrol, oil, water and jump leads in the back of my daily wagon so hopefully I'll need nothing else to be driving it home tomorrow afternoon.

Finally I get to use the Christmas present my brother got me...

b2ae9d5377b0894c3b06bc8c1aaa4215.jpg

11 weeks and 18,000km later the car is back on the Auld Sod.

I was at the depot to greet the container and see the car be unloaded. Credit to the crew in Melbourne that packed the car, it was very carefully strapped down with the wheels protected for good measure. Hopefully the rest of the breakables were packed as well when they get delivered tomorrow... 

She started on the first turn of the key, something none of us thought would happen, and after a warm up around the industrial estate I headed for home. The weather today couldn't have been worse but not a bother, I finally got to use the heater and the wipers up full.

The magnitude of shipping a car halfway around the world is also starting to sink in. It just seemed like the natural thing to do. Totally mental nonetheless...

A few Instgram photos:

web1_zpstjufz2oz.jpg

web2_zpsbwqnj16d.jpg

web3_zpsixlp7myv.jpg

Gotta love these old gems.  Starts first go after 11 weeks.   Good result Eoghan.  I put my SC into storage in November and today she also fired up on the first turn ?

How many newer cars with their power sapping electronic life support systems will be so reliable?

Archived