Porsche reveals quickest Macan yet

tomo

New Macan Turbo with Performance Package ups power to 324kW for an extra $13K

Porsche has revealed an even quicker, faster and more powerful of its range-topping Macan Turbo that is claimed to hit 100km/h in just 4.4 seconds and a top speed of 272km/h, making it as quick as a 911 Carrera.

It also makes the new Macan Turbo with Performance Package, which is now available to order in Australia ahead of first deliveries next March, up to 0.4 sec quicker to 100km/h and 6km/h faster than the standard Macan Turbo, which can hit 100km/h in 4.8 sec (4.6 sec in Sport Plus mode, which is part of the optional Sport Chrono Package).

This is thanks to an upgraded twin-turbo 3.6-litre V6 that now produces 324kW of power (up 30kW) and 600Nm of torque (up 50Nm) – the latter over a broad 1500-4500rpm –  which Porsche says is enough to lower 80-120km/h acceleration by two-tenths, to just 2.9 seconds.

But the bad news relates to fuel consumption and price. The former increases by at least 0.2L/100km, to between 9.4 and 9.7L/100km, while the latter increases by $13,200, to $143,500 plus on-road costs.

Apart from more power, however, the top-shelf Performance Package also brings a more focussed chassis including bigger brakes and lower suspension, resulting in what Porsche claims is "enhanced driving dynamics, increased agility and an even greater emotional appeal".

Up front there are 390mm grooved brake discs (30mm bigger than the standard car's) gripped by red six-piston brake callipers, while the Macan Turbo's standard air suspension and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system has a 10mm lower ride height.

As with the standard Macan Turbo, a host of optional extras are also available for Performance Package versions.

Among them are the Turbo Exterior Package comprising 21-inch '911 Turbo' wheels with high-gloss black spokes, LED main headlights with PDLS Plus and other black elements.

The Turbo Interior Package, meantime, brings a black leather interior with Alcantara elements, numerous colour appliqués and carbon trims for the door sills, which also feature white-illuminated model logos.

Powered By Motoring.com.au

Published : Thursday, 1 September 2016Porsche-Macan-206.jpg?height=700&aspect=

272 km/hr?

Now we'll be seeing people racing 911s on the autobahn and around the burger ring. 

They should start a ludicrous racing series ; it'd be entertaining to pitch them against Bentleys and other physics defying stuff like that.

The 'Burger ring'?? Hahahahaha

I must live in a cave, as I've not heard that one before

If a buyer is worried about fuel economy in a Porsche, they should consider something a bit more mundane. Boot it, laugh, repeat

272 km/hr?

Now we'll be seeing people racing 911s on the autobahn and around the burger ring. 

They should start a ludicrous racing series ; it'd be entertaining to pitch them against Bentleys and other physics defying stuff like that.

I'd watch that. Far more entertaining than Formula zzzzzz, 

As for the Terry (pommie joke), I like it. Drove my first ever loaner Cayenne the other week, when my Cayman was in for a service. I was ready to hate it, but ended up liking it, A smaller, lighter version like the Terry would be fun. 

tazzieman I have had soccer mums driving Cayenne turbo,s race me in my 997 ......I find it kinda funny and sexy at the same time,,,women and car   :D:P

I had that whilst driving the SC. Yummy mummy in a GT3 next to me at the lights, she gave a naughty smile, then wiped the floor with me. I felt dirty........then shouted whilst offering my hand in marriage :-) 

Dunno if I'd be happy if she was in a Cayenne or Macan though...or had expensive accessories in the back seat

The 'Burger ring'?? Hahahahaha

I must live in a cave, as I've not heard that one before

That's because it's one of my neoligisms . It's a bit like burgher ring , which encompasses the majority of casual neu burger ringers , and a bit bacony - so good for a Porker.

tazzieman I have had soccer mums driving Cayenne turbo,s race me in my 997 ......I find it kinda funny and sexy at the same time,,,women and car   :D:P

I know the types. The car's angels keep them alive, good also when the kids start to borrow the car aged 16.

I'd watch that. Far more entertaining than Formula zzzzzz, 

As for the Terry (pommie joke), I like it. Drove my first ever loaner Cayenne the other week, when my Cayman was in for a service. I was ready to hate it, but ended up liking it, A smaller, lighter version like the Terry would be fun. 

I hated my time in a loaner Cayenne - could not wait to get back into my 987 Boxster S.

Don't get me wrong, picking up the 987 was a pleasure, but I had a good time testing out the PDK and the cabin was a nice place to be, Considering it's the car that lets Porsche carry on with the sports cars we know and love, I was pleasantly surprised. 

I've driven the Macarn (to use the Toorak pronunciation) and like a KN I felt like I was sitting on it rather than in it. So it may have the dynamics of a sports car but to me the butt sent other signals. Nothing to do with a loose sphincter either - the car would save me if I get to brave I'm sure.

A nearly 2 tonne car is a porker and you can't outrun that physics donut!

I've driven the Macarn (to use the Toorak pronunciation) and like a KN I felt like I was sitting on it rather than in it. So it may have the dynamics of a sports car but to me the butt sent other signals. Nothing to do with a loose sphincter either - the car would save me if I get to brave I'm sure.

A nearly 2 tonne car is a porker and you can't outrun that physics donut!

Testing Cayenne's and owning a ML (the 2 are very close overall), yes the physics cannot be moved.

Modern SUV's, no matter how good, cannot drive like sports cars, period!

Don't get me wrong, it and they are great cars and streets ahead of the more mundane brands and suits 90% of the time, the other 10% is for my 928 :)

Archived