The legacy of the new 718 Boxster and Cayman

CoSo

So these new generation 982 Boxsters and Caymans, bearing the 718 nameplate will be delivered soon.

Aesthetically I think they've captured a fantastic balance between a retro look and modernizing these mid engined Porsches.

Performance wise they're no slouch and comfortably improve upon the 981 generation. Fuel economy and emissions is fantastic too.

But the move to turbos is a controversial one. Of course Porsche is no stranger to producing turbocharged engines but it seems many of the purists have cried foul at how the flat six purity is ruined. 

Is it a case of revolution rather than evolution for once or a misstep for Porsche?

How do you think in the years to come the 718s will be viewed? Perhaps a case of a displeased vocal minority or a boon for current Boxster/Cayman resales?

It'll be interesting to see the depreciation for these relative to the 987s and 981s in the coming years. I do feel in 10 years down the line we'll have renewed appreciation for Porsches that have any pistons at all, let alone our current na flat 6 vs turbo 4 debate. After all a throaty/airy induction sounding engine is still better than an electric coil whine!

In the meantime I'm very curious as to how it'll impact 981 prices...

I've said this before and repeating it here,  the "problem" I have with the new cars (981 included) is I feel that they have gone too far with the refinement of the drive and made them too capable.

Drivers are now more cocooned from the driving experience, esp with electric power assisted steering and the various suspension modes. Even between the 987.1 and Gen 2, there was a noticeable increase in refinement. I have both a 987.1 and Gen 2 in my garage and I am surprised by this. 

The cars have also grown a bit too large. The 981 and 718 are no longer small, nimble cars like the 986/987 were. This increase in size is not constrained to Porsche, other marques like their sister company, VW for example,have models that are ever increasing in size with each iteration, the new Polo is now the same size as the Mk3 Golf. 

The new 718s (981s) are better looking, faster and more fuel efficient but lack the fun factor at legal speeds. You'll have to take them to the track to really enjoy their capabilities (time and money) or risk hefty fines and confiscation of vehicle. Even with the 987s, you have to take them up to past 100km/hr on the twisties before they truly come alive and there aren't many places I can take them in Sydney for a good squirt w/o having to drive 2 hours to.

My licence was suspended for 7 months after only a year into owning my 987.1 - almost had the car confiscated too.

Its a sports car. What driving enthusiast gives a damn about fuel efficiency? If you want that, go buy a Hyundai and stick to the speed limit AND stay out of the hills

My comment pertains to the fact that the 718 base pdk auto even gets a green car fuel efficiency discount, which makes it only a $1500 premium or so on the manual, which makes it good value. I reckon base manuals will be quite rare, more so than the usual manual/auto split.

I've not driven a 981 yet, but it will very likely be my next car. It certainly looks bigger than my 987 parked side by side, but the tale of the tape is what impresses me. The 981 is lower, exactly the same width, and just 40mm longer. It is also 20kg lighter than a 987. Only a Lotus owner would care about that sort of weight (I know this because I was a Lotus owner), but that is damned impressive for a replacement model.

Useful upgrades in power and torque (22kw, 30nms) seal the deal. I lose hydraulic steering and retain a flat six, and get even more power and a well built cabin. I'm sold.

The ethos behind the 718 (more power/torque/fuel efficiency etc) is based on emissions targets, and the alleged impossibility of engineering a 6 cyl to equal the new targets. Well that has been disproved by the 3.0 Carrera turbo engine, and real world tests of the 718 show very little difference in fuel efficiency. Marketing is the better explanation and Porsche's desire to create two very different choices between the 911 and Boxster/Cayman has finally come to pass.

I will not write off the 718, not until I've driven one. The boosted flat four is here to stay, but as polished and technically brilliant as it obviously is, the noise puts me off. That's a purely emotive comment, but to me, a sports car is a purely emotive purchase. I remember that every time I hear my motor go around the tacho...not when I'm looking at a stopwatch to time myself.

You mentioned 981 prices. I've tracked them these last few months. They are depreciating down their usual curve and I think in one year we'll see a 981 Cayman S at about $110k or $40-50k depreciation depending on spec. I think the 987 is a more useful measuring tool. If and when it bottoms out (S models were $150k cars don't forget) will be interesting to see. 

You mentioned 981 prices. I've tracked them these last few months. They are depreciating down their usual curve and I think in one year we'll see a 981 Cayman S at about $110k or $40-50k depreciation depending on spec. I think the 987 is a more useful measuring tool. If and when it bottoms out (S models were $150k cars don't forget) will be interesting to see. 

Been watching boxster market closely on this. Here's some speculation. Average boxster 987.1's with ~100k kms are moving around $35k.  (Cheapest on carsales is $25k tip auto with 130k kms).  I think they've gone down about $10k over the last year.

Boxster 987.2s can be had for under $60k, with the cheapest listing $50k PDK with 60k kms, generally down about $12k YoY. 

I've not driven a 981 yet, but it will very likely be my next car. It certainly looks bigger than my 987 parked side by side, but the tale of the tape is what impresses me. The 981 is lower, exactly the same width, and just 40mm longer. It is also 20kg lighter than a 987. Only a Lotus owner would care about that sort of weight (I know this because I was a Lotus owner), but that is damned impressive for a replacement model.

Useful upgrades in power and torque (22kw, 30nms) seal the deal. I lose hydraulic steering and retain a flat six, and get even more power and a well built cabin. I'm sold.

The ethos behind the 718 (more power/torque/fuel efficiency etc) is based on emissions targets, and the alleged impossibility of engineering a 6 cyl to equal the new targets. Well that has been disproved by the 3.0 Carrera turbo engine, and real world tests of the 718 show very little difference in fuel efficiency. Marketing is the better explanation and Porsche's desire to create two very different choices between the 911 and Boxster/Cayman has finally come to pass.

I will not write off the 718, not until I've driven one. The boosted flat four is here to stay, but as polished and technically brilliant as it obviously is, the noise puts me off. That's a purely emotive comment, but to me, a sports car is a purely emotive purchase. I remember that every time I hear my motor go around the tacho...not when I'm looking at a stopwatch to time myself.

Do a test drive of the 981s and tell us what you think of them. I didn't like my times in a 981 (once in a Boxster as a service loaner and another test drive in a Cayman), I felt that it had become a bit too big. I felt as though I was peering over the binnacle (very much like sitting in the cockpit of the Audi TT). I also could not get used to not having a mechanical handbrake, esp doing hill starts with a manual gearbox. But you might find it ok. 

And this is the reason why I recently purchased the 987.2 Spyder. I know that nothing being built from then on would suit my taste. 

And the Mk3 was significantly larger than a Mk1 Golf. 

A modern Polo is way larger than a Mk1 Golf. I suspect boring to drive in comparison.

I haven't tried the current Type 6C Polo GTI - the one where they returned to a 1.8L engine (141kw, 350Nm of torque with a manual gearbox) but I did test drive the previous twin charged version - didn't like the drive esp with the problematic 7 speed dry clutch DSG box . The earlier 9N3 version was very fun to drive - even more so over the MkV Golf GTI - a true hot hatch - made you feel like you were going faster than you really were - the only problem with them was the average build quality esp the cheap plastics in the interior. 

My biggest gripe is the model bloat factor. Looking at pictures of Boxster/Cayman side by side next an early Porsche just makes them look odd.

I know its impossible these days due to safety regs but I would love it if they could go back down to 904 size for example.

Do a test drive of the 981s and tell us what you think of them. I didn't like my times in a 981 (once in a Boxster as a service loaner and another test drive in a Cayman), I felt that it had become a bit too big. I felt as though I was peering over the binnacle (very much like sitting in the cockpit of the Audi TT). I also could not get used to not having a mechanical handbrake, esp doing hill starts with a manual gearbox. But you might find it ok. 

And this is the reason why I recently purchased the 987.2 Spyder. I know that nothing being built from then on would suit my taste. 

Will do, I'll post back when I get some seat time. Bad comparison, but my buddy has a Focus ST that I got to look after for a month whilst he went overseas. Not a bad little car, and a far more suitable platform for a boosted 4 cyl. I did feel like I was sitting on top of it though. Very off-putting when you're pressing on. I noticed the Focus RS reviews mentioned the same thing.

The feeling of the 981 from the cabin may have something to do with the console inclining up towards the dash?. With the gear leaver being level with your steering wheel, I'd imagine that would make it feel a little claustrophobic compared to the earlier cars, but I'll report back.

Your Spyder is a faultless choice, whichever way you cut it. 

The feeling of the 981 from the cabin may have something to do with the console inclining up towards the dash?. With the gear leaver being level with your steering wheel, I'd imagine that would make it feel a little claustrophobic compared to the earlier cars, but I'll report back.

Could be or maybe I'm just not tall enough. :P:D

Been watching boxster market closely on this. Here's some speculation. Average boxster 987.1's with ~100k kms are moving around $35k.  (Cheapest on carsales is $25k tip auto with 130k kms).  I think they've gone down about $10k over the last year.

Boxster 987.2s can be had for under $60k, with the cheapest listing $50k PDK with 60k kms, generally down about $12k YoY. 

Interesting figures. I did a double take on your numbers, but then realised you were talking about Boxsters!. Just as an aside, the two cheapest Caymans at the moment are a 2007 base model Tip with 131,000kms, for $37k. For 987.2, it's a 2010 base model manual with 30,000km for $66k (good price) 

Interesting figures. I did a double take on your numbers, but then realised you were talking about Boxsters!. Just as an aside, the two cheapest Caymans at the moment are a 2007 base model Tip with 131,000kms, for $37k. For 987.2, it's a 2010 base model manual with 30,000km for $66k (good price) 

funny enough i did the same with your post in reverse - then i realised you were talking about caymans :D      

Archived