Definitive import from UK costs

944s2cab

Hi all,

My 944 Cab is safley at home in Sydney, so I thought I'd do a quick post about the costs involved 

PRE IMPORT FEES IN $

Vehicle import application, $50

TOTAL $50

UK COSTS IN £

Load and secure to container. £75
Export paperwork charges. £36
Shipping costs - UK depot in Rainham to overseas depot in Sydney. R-Rak service. £738
Destination Costs and Port Agents service charges. £397
Standard vehicle insurance cover to port. Vehicle value: £10000 @ 25 £200
Insurance premium tax @ 9.5% £19

Credit Card administration service fee @ 2% £39

TOTAL   £1494 = (Approx $2500 at todays rate of £1=$1.7)

Note if you don't have someone to drop the car off at the depot, you will have to pay for car transport to the depot.

Australia costs in $  

Customs Clearance Fee Valuation Fee, $239.00  +GST 
AQIS Attendance Fee, $320.00 +GST

SCA/CMR Lodgement Fee, $110.00 +GST

Delivery Order Fee, $55.00 +GST

Tax Invoice, $65.00 +GST 

GST free

*Import GST, $831.15 
*Import Duty, $315.13 
Declaration Processing Fee, $92.00 

* Based on a very friendly valuation of $7800 LANDED

TOTAL $2106

Additional costs for WHEN it fails quarantine inspection

AQIS Cleaning, $250.00 +GST

AQIS Facility Fee, $95.00 GST
AQIS Attendance Fee
$95.00 +GST
Quarantine Fee$110.00 GST FREE
AQIS Re-Inspection Fee $110.00 +GST

Total $715

So all in $5371, up to getting customs clearance, then costs of transport to you home/testing station etc, RMS in NSW issue unregistered permits for $22 so if it's drivable that's the cheapest way,
I hope this is of interest to people looking to import from the UK
Steve

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tallai/cars-vans-utes/1991-porsche-944-convertible/1124536116

Not sure if you boys have seen this 944S2 cab for sale here on the Gold Coast.

I don't want to derail Steve's thread but...I could be mistaken but that looks scarily similar to a car I test drove at a Sunny Coast dealer a few years back. It overheated on me on the test drive eek. :blink: Hopefully the mechanicals have been sorted since then.

Thanks for sharing your import costs too Steve. Good info to have for those contemplating the option. :)

Wow, That's the first cab I've seen for sale in Aus, I know only 60 were imported originally but $33K, that's a bit steep,

Also I reckon it's a UK import as it's got rear seats, I believe official AU imports had rear seats deleted and it looks like the speedo is in miles not KM's 

Brian, I shipped it in a 40' container with 3 other cars, I believe personal effects can be put inside the car but I don't think an engine would fit!!!

link to shippers

http://www.autoshippers.co.uk/

Based on my experiences a few years ago, if you take sole use of a 20ft container as I did then yes you can put engines / anything else in the available space. In a shared container then probably not as you become liable for any damage caused by the engine etc if it breaks free. I just had my car packed to the roof with spares for it and our other car, plus a load of other stuff that had been stored at parents houses over the years and all my work gear. On arrival here in Melbourne I had to go to the port agents to remove the car from the container and unpack it all for AQIS to inspect.

Based on my experiences a few years ago, if you take sole use of a 20ft container as I did then yes you can put engines / anything else in the available space. In a shared container then probably not as you become liable for any damage caused by the engine etc if it breaks free. I just had my car packed to the roof with spares for it and our other car, plus a load of other stuff that had been stored at parents houses over the years and all my work gear. On arrival here in Melbourne I had to go to the port agents to remove the car from the container and unpack it all for AQIS to inspect.

did the wharfys nick any of your stuff in the car?

A friend imported his Opel Astra (crazy thing to do i know) from Singapore and the fancy stereo in it got nicked by the wharfys. He said that he was told that it was a normal occurrence.

did the wharfys nick any of your stuff in the car?

A friend imported his Opel Astra (crazy thing to do i know) from Singapore and the fancy stereo in it got nicked by the wharfys. He said that he was told that it was a normal occurrence.

No, it's why I containerised the car. When investigating options I discussed it with a recommended shipper and their advice was container rather than RORO, as RORO virtually guarantees damage / theft (you can't have anything in the car if it's RORO). When the receiving agent here in Melbourne got the container they called me and requested I come down to unpack it, due to the bill of lading stating the car was full of stuff. They weren't prepared to take responsibility for anything other than removing it from the container and in reality, once we got the tie down ropes off I ended up doing that anyway because the UK guys had put the handbrake on, despite being instructed not to. The port guys couldn't work out how to get the handbrake off (electric) and it took some ingenuity in the end to do it, purely because the doors could barely be opened in the limited space of the container. To get the handbrake off needs the engine to be running and a foot on the brake, difficult when no one can fit through the door! I could just about get my arm in to start it, then wound the window down, used a broom handle on the brake pedal, got the handbrake off (thankful that 7 weeks on the ocean hadn't left it seized) then pulled it out far enough to get the door open and drive it out. It's the best part of 3 ton in weight so it needed a bit of muscle to move it. After that I had to unpack everything infront of the customs and AQIS guys so they could check the contents for contraband and plant life before being allowed to take everything home. Sadly I couldn't take the car, AQIS deemed it in need of an expensive bath because "it's a 4x4 and you have foot and mouth in the UK so it could have anything on it", despite the car being built in 2005 and F&M occurring in 2001....

At least me unpacking everything meant nothing got stolen. Didn't stop some twat driving the car to the steam cleaners and kicking the shit out of it, turning 80 miles of remaining fuel range to 1 mile, while only covering 2 miles. I did of course pay $250 for a tilt truck to take it those 2 miles, I think that got donated to someone's beer fund.

But I'm not bitter. At all. No, not a bit. And it's only been 5 years. :rolleyes:

Hi op,

Just wondering are you able to do some quick calculation how much it cost for a car that is worth $200k 2010 sport car would cost? I can't seem to work out the cost for stamp duty once it reaches australia. The shipping is negligible cost but i'm worried more of a stamp duty and LCT and other Tax shit once it arrives in australia. Trying to work out whether it's worth shipping the car I have in UK back here? it's a special car. hence the question. and it's a rare car in Australia  

Hi op,

Just wondering are you able to do some quick calculation how much it cost for a car that is worth $200k 2010 sport car would cost? I can't seem to work out the cost for stamp duty once it reaches australia. The shipping is negligible cost but i'm worried more of a stamp duty and LCT and other Tax shit once it arrives in australia. Trying to work out whether it's worth shipping the car I have in UK back here? it's a special car. hence the question. and it's a rare car in Australia  

For Stamp Duty in NSW it is 5% of purchase  price for cars costing $45,000 and over. And 3% if under $45,000. I don't know about LCT costs but I didn't have to pay that on my used Spyder. I don't know if the exemption also applies to imported used cars.

Hi op,

I guess it's a similar formula but with bigger numbers, the only extra is the LCT

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Luxury-car-tax/Working-out-the-LCT-amount/Working-out-the-LCT-on-an-import/

Archived