Cayman GT4 track work

wirthO

Hello All,

I just had my first track day with my GT4 and seeking some advice on what track brake pads and brake fluid to purchase? Noise doesn't bother me to much, but would prefer little brake dust and long lasting. Also where is the best place to purchase from?

Much appreciated.

Shane.

DSC01783_zps9xcttee6.jpg

Best pad options are the PFC11''s, Pagid RS29's or Ferodo DS1.11

They are all good options. The DS1.11 are the newest so I know a few people who have run the others in the past have switched over to them and really like them - but I personally haven't given them a go yet (I've previously run RS29's as a preference but am going to try the DS1.11's next).

For fluids I really like the Endless RF-650. (Can get through V-Sport).

FWIW - the OEM pads are Pagids. I actually think they hold up pretty well to track days too.

I'm dirty that I didnt go out yesterday now! Good to see the GT4 out there.

Fluid I like Castrol SRF, a lot of race teams in GTs use this and it's more or less the "gold standard" for racing brake fluid.  I run Performance Friction pads in my GT3 and they are fantastic, although im using the 08 compound as opposed to 11. 11 has more ultimate stopping power than 08 but is more difficult to modulate and harsher on rotors. Have had Pagid RS29s in there too, also a good pad, not as noisy as Performance Friction but the PFC pads stop the car until they are worn right down to the backing plates whereas the pagids lose considerable bite after 50% wear. The best thing about Performance Friction is the price...can be had relatively cheaply from the US (approx half the price of OEM even factoring in exchange and shipping rates). I purchase my Performance Friction pads from a place in South Carolina called Apex Performance. The owner Clark has been dealing Performance Friction for years and will be able to advise you on what compound best suits your GT4. I would suggest 08 personally. Unfortunately all track pads will be dusty.

How did you go out there?

Cheers

Simon

You missed a good day Simon...

Track was in good condition, fine weather and nice and cool in the morning.

They had a lunch time open session for any club members to do 4-5 guided "experience" laps and there were quite a few people participated in that, including another GT4.

WirthO,

Judging from your smiles all day you enjoyed it and a suggest 1st purchase will be a plastic 20l Jerry can to carry more fuel!

I think you will get quite a few days out of your factory pads and pilot sports while you learn the car.

And as your obviously hooked, then comes the replacement pads, second set of wheels and tyres etc....

D

They had a lunch time open session for any club members to do 4-5 guided "experience" laps and there were quite a few people participated in that, including another GT4.

WirthO,

Judging from your smiles all day you enjoyed it and a suggest 1st purchase will be a plastic 20l Jerry can to carry more fuel!

I think you will get quite a few days out of your factory pads and pilot sports while you learn the car.

And as your obviously hooked, then comes the replacement pads, second set of wheels and tyres etc....

D

Hey D,

Thanks again for all your pre-track help. It made me feel a lot more confident before heading out. 

Yes, agree just wanted to get everything ready for future outings. 

Thanks again.

Shane.

I'm dirty that I didnt go out yesterday now! Good to see the GT4 out there.

Fluid I like Castrol SRF, a lot of race teams in GTs use this and it's more or less the "gold standard" for racing brake fluid.  I run Performance Friction pads in my GT3 and they are fantastic, although im using the 08 compound as opposed to 11. 11 has more ultimate stopping power than 08 but is more difficult to modulate and harsher on rotors. Have had Pagid RS29s in there too, also a good pad, not as noisy as Performance Friction but the PFC pads stop the car until they are worn right down to the backing plates whereas the pagids lose considerable bite after 50% wear. The best thing about Performance Friction is the price...can be had relatively cheaply from the US (approx half the price of OEM even factoring in exchange and shipping rates). I purchase my Performance Friction pads from a place in South Carolina called Apex Performance. The owner Clark has been dealing Performance Friction for years and will be able to advise you on what compound best suits your GT4. I would suggest 08 personally. Unfortunately all track pads will be dusty.

How did you go out there?

Cheers

Simon

thanks for the advice Simon. I will check that website out.

started off very slow and still have a long way to go. Had an awesome time though, and will gradually work on my times in future sessions. It was very good to finally be able to use the car what it's designed for!

Best pad options are the PFC11''s, Pagid RS29's or Ferodo DS1.11

They are all good options. The DS1.11 are the newest so I know a few people who have run the others in the past have switched over to them and really like them - but I personally haven't given them a go yet (I've previously run RS29's as a preference but am going to try the DS1.11's next).

For fluids I really like the Endless RF-650. (Can get through V-Sport).

FWIW - the OEM pads are Pagids. I actually think they hold up pretty well to track days too.

thanks snowman! 

I have read a few articles on rennlist forum and they agree with what you are saying about the PFC11's.

As D said below I am probably jumping the gun, I probably have a few tracks left in the oem pads, but just wanted to get an idea where to purchase and what price I am looking at.

Thanks again. 

WirthO,

D

Hi Darien, good to hear mate! The weather was awful at the last sprint back in July so glad to hear it held up ok and everyone had fun. Will aim to be at the next one. 

thanks for the advice Simon. I will check that website out.

started off very slow and still have a long way to go. Had an awesome time though, and will gradually work on my times in future sessions. It was very good to finally be able to use the car what it's designed for!

You're welcome Shane. Great to hear that you enjoyed it and hopefully ill see you out at another one in the future! 

Archived