HELP - Momo steering removal

Philbee

Hey guys, anyone.... I need HELP pls!!

Heads up, I'm a complete non-techie...But I've just managed to remove my old MOMO Race wheel as I have a new prototipo to stick on...  thought I'd give it a shot. Borrowed some allen keys from a friend and away I go....

Here's the old wheel currently on....

F49A50EE-C470-4B64-B87C-D633435931A2_zps

But when removed, see the silver ring in the centre,

F8D16DB0-1CDD-4D78-8D45-0691F4F9696A_zps

Its a big fat spacer hub at the back...

4C77F420-74D8-4B17-AAB0-0D33436D03E3_zps

I can't seem to get this silver hub off. Its needed apparently, makes the horn cap fit right and spaces the wheel forward and the six bolts are just the right length with it on....

Is it supposed to screw off, or should I pull it...? Neither seems to work. Or is rubber mallet needed to belt it out...? Would it have been glued on? Do I need to buy another one...?

Any clues and/or tools needed to do the job would be grateful...

Now armed with the wisdom from fellow PFA's, I've managed to find the weapons of choice:

DBCA5763-EA62-47E3-9038-273E0C05A5A9_zps

And proceeded to bang the crap outa me old wheel, until... Houston, we have separation!!

541A898A-845A-4885-B1CC-FC0077C2C1F3_zps

While in whacking mode,  re-whacked the recently separated  spacer from ye olde m-race onto the newbie wheel, m-prototipo:

757274D5-BC7C-421C-83F6-27314CF1C9F1_zps

Connect thy wires, screw in 6 bolts and ta-da... new wheel!

6B20C019-3636-4D1B-8AFD-2D3E76DF2598_zps

Thanks for the guidance Simon & T-man.... :D

Looks nice. How long did it take to get here from the UK?

bloody quick, I ordered it Monday night which was first thing Monday for UK. They dispatched same day and it arrived on Thursday.  And the whole thing was cheaper than the locals including shipping. 

Www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

Sounds good to me. I ordered one, they had a discount going on it. Ended up costing $280 delivered. Thanks for sharing.

Yep, that sounds about what I paid too... great deal eh!! Have you got yours yet?

Also...  (All Prototipo owners, pls read on)

its funny, But the pic I posted above of the new wheel  makes it looks quite chunky... but now that I have it on and took it for a squirt yesterday, I'm finding it a bit thin/narrow. Was wondering what others feel (those who have a prototipo).... ?? I'm thinking (& hate this thought) I might have to take it and get my brand new wheel re-covered and fattened up at my mate, gary Blackman in Richmond (goodamn it, spend more of my hard earned aussie pesos!!)

I'll have to go out and measure the thickness but its more like 20-30mm diameter, whereas driving my gf's golf, its like 30-40mm thick, feels great.

I had a new proto wheel for a hot minute and found the same thing , allthough I'm sure you could get used to it . I found a thicker version made by some guy Magnus something . I simply removed his centre logo and got Porsche replacement one . To my knowledge these are no longer available but ebay is great for finding second hand Momo wheels . Certain sellers will also describe the wheel as thick and age date stamp on the back is also helpful . I feel like pre 2000 they were a tad fatter . Otheriwse I'm pretty sure Boys Own Garage on instagram and the forum always has heaps of Momo wheels . Worth a shot

• 2 weeks later...

its funny, But the pic I posted above of the new wheel  makes it looks quite chunky... but now that I have it on and took it for a squirt yesterday, I'm finding it a bit thin/narrow. Was wondering what others feel (those who have a prototipo).... ?? I'm thinking (& hate this thought) I might have to take it and get my brand new wheel re-covered and fattened up at my mate, gary Blackman in Richmond (goodamn it, spend more of my hard earned aussie pesos!!)

I'll have to go out and measure the thickness but its more like 20-30mm diameter, whereas driving my gf's golf, its like 30-40mm thick, feels great.

A year or two ago Momo released a limited edition 50th anniversary Prototipo with thicker grip.  They can still be found new in all the usual places.

A year or two ago Momo released a limited edition 50th anniversary Prototipo with thicker grip.  They can still be found new in all the usual places.

ohh ok thanks.. I'll check it out but... I just bought one. I'll see how mine goes and then maybe do an eBay swap later...

• 2 weeks later...

bloody quick, I ordered it Monday night which was first thing Monday for UK. They dispatched same day and it arrived on Thursday.  And the whole thing was cheaper than the locals including shipping. 

Www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

Philbee, where did you get the Porsche centre cap (horn cap)? 

Seems to be a good find demon tweeds, Im likely going to order a wheel and hub for my 924 cheers

Philbee, where did you get the Porsche centre cap (horn cap)? 

Seems to be a good find demon tweeds, Im likely going to order a wheel and hub for my 924 cheers

good old Aussie fleabay mate.

try this:  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141794727676?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

its gone up a bit in price, mine was $30-40, I think it's now $50. Mines the chrome ringed version, there's a non-chrome ring version if you search around...

Archived