3.2 advice

dj454

hi everyone..

I want to buy a 88' 3.2 911...

everything is good about it and its in lovely condition. late model year so has the G50 etc so no brainer...

however only issue is it has a big km a bit over 250k in fact... now I know that these cars are quite bulletproof  if looked after and that high k's may not be an issue and condition is important however what about value??

it is also a cabrio which strictly speaking doesnt really command a premium? 

if I go to sell tomorrow what will it be worth to give you an idea the vendor is asking 37-39 which is too much..

I guess this is my asking you for help on what its worth thanks!

Hi dj454 and welcome to the forum .....

You are right on a couple of things .....

G50 means good

Cabrio means less desireable (it's the coupe that commands the premium)

250k's is not a huge problem if there is history with the car and it's been done regularly ...... you'll find there are many 911's on here with the same and more .....

The asking price of $37 - $39k seems a bit on the high side to me ..... that's already creeping into coupe territory ....

Is it Aus delivered or import? Is it left or right hand drive? Converted? Matching numbers?

The more info you can give, the easier to help value it .....

I'm not a cabrio expert so I'll leave $$$ value to others that are, but remember that a PPI will be the best investment you could make ..... your $37k buy could easily turn into a $50k buy and there would still be more to do .....

Good luck in your search and keep us informed .....

Thanks for clearing that up Russ .....

I guess I was refering it to an older coupe (like an SC) that would still be more desireable than a Cabrio and be "creeping" into that price bracket ....

I'm not too proud to say ..... "You are right, Russ" .......... but geez it hurts real bad ...  ^_^

all true, but the issue remains that some (myself included) wouldn't pay money to get a cabrio no matter how well priced. :mellow: coupes always worth more due to the demand. got to make sure you get it cheap enough to tick the boxes for you!

Well, if that didn't just open a can of worms .....

Dreamr thanks for your helpful response....

obviously a PPI is mandatory just thought Id try to make a decision before therefore saving the time and cost or deciding to go ahead (assuming its good obviously)

I know the convertibles arent as valuable but that doesnt worry me as I like them personally therefore I can take advantage of that in negotiation.

yes it is Aus delivered matching numbers 

has had top end redone (how about valves?)

RHD factory from new 

also another interesting point regarding premiums. its a factory supersport wide body so you know flares brakes suspension all except turbo itself

Sounds like a nice car .....

I wasn't being negative against cabrios, just pointing out the onsell desire factor is with the coupes.......

If it's Aus delivered / matching #'s with the m491 option and a top end rebuild, you can't really go wrong ...... should get another couple of hundred k's if looked after .....

Sounds like a reasonable price as described, but any deal you can do would be a bonus ......

Don't forget a PPI if you decide to go to the next step .....

Keep us updated .....

Dreamr thanks for your helpful response....

obviously a PPI is mandatory just thought Id try to make a decision before therefore saving the time and cost or deciding to go ahead (assuming its good obviously)

I know the convertibles arent as valuable but that doesnt worry me as I like them personally therefore I can take advantage of that in negotiation.

yes it is Aus delivered matching numbers 

has had top end redone (how about valves?)

RHD factory from new 

also another interesting point regarding premiums. its a factory supersport wide body so you know flares brakes suspension all except turbo itself

sounds like 37k is a cracking price and ticks your criteria - definitely go through with a PPI :)

it fits the right age for the factory wide body too but pays to check! (if i had a dollar for every widebody 911 advertised as a factory widebody..)

Convertibles are in very low demand and it's not unusual to see them advertised for a year or two. Not because they're a bad car but just because supply far outways demand. Everything relevant has already been said but I'll just add that 2 years ago, M491 convertibles were going for mid $40s. $37k is a good price given it's had a rebuild. To confirm it's a genuine factory widebody, look for the 491 option code under the bonnet lid.

C4s were more expensive new as well, but everyone wants a C2.  I guess that is because the people looking for these old cars look for a specific type, and tend to ignore the open top cars.  That puts a lot of buyers out of that market, and as such they don't fetch as much money.

Sounds like a nice car - there was one like this recently offered at a Shannons auction in a light blue colour.  Cant' remember if it was a wide body.

If you are going to get a PPI make sure you specify exactly what you want checked before the car is delivered to the shop (by this I mean - compression test, rust inspection, etc etc), and make sure all the receipts etc are with the car when it goes for the PPI.

When I bought my 3.2 I looked at cars with both gearbox options and I admit the G50 is a better gearbox but I preferred the feel of the old 915 so that's what I bought 18 years ago and still love it

Agree, nothing wrong with a well sorted 915....

Archived