Swapping Seats, easy or hard?

tk111

After having spent numerous track days sliding around in my seats, and griping the steering wheel for stability, I would like to investigate racing seats a harness and potentially a half cage.

But, I really like my cars seats for casual weekend driving.

My question is how feasible is it to bolt a cage and seats in and out of the car for the two or three track days I do a year (potentially could be more in the future) does anybody do this, or is it too hard?

After having spent numerous track days sliding around in my seats, and griping the steering wheel for stability, I would like to investigate racing seats a harness and potentially a half cage.

But, I really like my cars seats for casual weekend driving.

My question is how feasible is it to bolt a cage and seats in and out of the car for the two or three track days I do a year (potentially could be more in the future) does anybody do this, or is it too hard?

Seats should be 4 bolts, quick and easy.

Cage would probably mean stripping out some or all of the rear carpet and rear seats, which is a bit more work, and you would probably do it once and not bother doing it again, as it would be a pain. I hope to make my carpet, with velcro tabs for quick and easy removal for that exact thing.  

Thanks for the replies, based on this I will be looking into seats.

I am not that keen on having a cage in the car permanently, I might look into bolting the harnesses to the parcel shelf and using a bolt in b pillar hoop to keep the straps above the shoulders. Thoughts?

TK you might want to think carefully about fitting harnesses if you do not fit a roll cage.  

In the event of a roll over a race seat/harness combination will keep you rigidly in place and upright, placing the entire weight of the car on your spine should the roof come down in a rollover situation.

There is debate on the internet that the odds of rollover is relatively low and that in other circumstances a 5 or 6 point harness is better than a lap sash.  I would do a lot of research and reading so that you make an informed decision.

Maybe just a single rollover hoop with a harness bar could work? Much less intrusive than a full or half cage

That might do something in a soft roll but roll over protection needs to be mounted on at least 4 points and cross braced to be of any help if you have a Big One. 

They can be built using the existing holes for belts.  Not as ideal as weld in but much better than nothing. 

There are a number of pretty skilled people around who can fabricate ones that built in sections are "easy" to unbolt.  Unless you have rear seat passengers a lot, you'll find yourself leaving it in. Consider also a side diagonal for the front seats which can be made in such a way that getting in and out of the car is still easy. Side impacts are more likely than roll overs. 

'Personally, intake the view that in anything that I've driven on a track with "intent" needs the best cage possible.  One saved my bacon in 2007 when I was hit from behind and "directed" into the top wall on the main straight at Symons Plains at 170 kmh.  The car was cactus but the doors still opened and I got out with nothing more than a severely disembowled balance sheet.

Oh, and cages on a "road" car look great. 

Ok, so if I go down the half cage approach I am sure it won't be coming out.

Many replies talk of having one fabricated, is there a reason I wouldn't just buy a off the shelf one designed for my car? Can anyone recommend a good product/supplier?

Many replies talk of having one fabricated, is there a reason I wouldn't just buy a off the shelf one designed for my car? Can anyone recommend a good product/supplier?

Found this  no idea of standard of work  

http://www.agi-precision.com.au/product/a-porsche-911-half-cage-4pt/

Depending on what you do with it, an off the shelf one from OS may not meet CAMS standards. If you are just doing it for piece of mind on the odd track day, off the shelf would probably be fine.

Depending on what you do with it, an off the shelf one from OS may not meet CAMS standards. If you are just doing it for piece of mind on the odd track day, off the shelf would probably be fine.

....might as well attempt to cams copliant though, to save the extra expense later?

Having gone through the grief of having a tap on the shoulder by Mr Plod ...

• Seats should be ADR. Velo does this.
  • New seat rails need engineering.
  • Rear cage (assuming you remove rear seats) need engineering.
  • Keep the three point when adding 5/6 point harness

I had to remove a rather expensive weld in cage and have gone custom bolt-in. All removable but about $5k performed by an artisan ;)

Beers.

If you just want harnesses and seats one solution is a harness bar from Mike at Spyder Automobiles. It uses the factory seat belt mounts and keeps the rear belts in place so no eng. cert. required. 

http://www.spyderautomobiles.com.au/services_products_details?id=10

This is where I was going originally. But as these things often are, the more you look into it, the more complicated it gets.

Archived