car storage

SteveC

wondering if it increases or reduces your insurance premium

how easy it is to use

looked at underground garages but they have a fair amount of issues from speaking to owners, architects and builders

above ground seems the go

looked at underground garages but they have a fair amount of issues from speaking to owners, architects and builders

above ground seems the go

do you mind sharing the issues?  Looking at doing an underground one (or partially underground - cut in to a sloping block with green roof)

any forum members had experience with mancave storage in moorabbin? or currently use them?

I'm astonished they're still trying to sell the units to be honest, they've been for sale / marketed for at least the last 3 MotorClassica events albeit only in the last 2-3 months has the building looked operational. It's a great concept, but at the moment I've noticed older but slightly larger commercial units around here have been selling for similar money, so perhaps that's holding back the sales. I must admit, I'd probably go for a same priced commercial unit over one of these.

Mike-s

Do you have examples of commercial units?

do you mind sharing the issues?  Looking at doing an underground one (or partially underground - cut in to a sloping block with green roof)

water was the main issue

all houses I inspected had damp garages, water leaking from a wall, water puddle prints. 

Builders cited that they are a going concern (although houses in general are especially when old) due to dampness and flooding

a builder was saying most have one pump whereas they should have two especially so when one fails or if one doesn't remove water fast enough 

vendors of the houses weren't willing to entertain the cost to fix these issues so couldn't go further 

Mike-s

Do you have examples of commercial units?

water was the main issue

all houses I inspected had damp garages, water leaking from a wall, water puddle prints. 

Builders cited that they are a going concern (although houses in general are especially when old) due to dampness and flooding

a builder was saying most have one pump whereas they should have two especially so when one fails or if one doesn't remove water fast enough 

vendors of the houses weren't willing to entertain the cost to fix these issues so couldn't go further 

That's why they are expensive - a lot of work goes into ensuring they work properly. If done properly though they are a great way to improve the available area on your property (not that any of my cars would be able to negotiate a ramp!)

No problems for a good builder if you've got the $$$ to throw at it, ask @turboT ;)

That's why they are expensive - a lot of work goes into ensuring they work properly. If done properly though they are a great way to improve the available area on your property (not that any of my cars would be able to negotiate a ramp!)

No problems for a good builder if you've got the $$$ to throw at it, ask @turboT ;)

the other thing I forgot to mention was the ramp

On a stock car, snapped all the supports of the chin spoiler once and then again on a new one at the second property

Really wanted it to work so kept inching forward until I couldn't bare it anymore

course the agent said the previous guy had plenty of cars none which had an issue

easy :ph34r:

wonder how much that would have cost, builders were quoting numbers that werent feasible to me

Steve, I've just been keeping an eye on realcommercial.com.au after one of my wife's colleagues bought one by Moorabbin airport for $300k recently, large enough for a Winnebago and several vehicles. Doesn't look flash from the outside but inside it's in great shape, he'll be installing a couple of hoists from his house shortly. All part of his downsizing for retirement :lol:

wonder how much that would have cost, builders were quoting numbers that werent feasible to me

stacker - about $60k

digging the hole and sealing it all up - about $90k - 

construction - depends on what you build but a floor, walls bellow and a 2 park garage was roughly another $50k - more for granny flat

pump + emergency pump - $25k

door - $10k ( my crazy arse solution was nearer $25k)

If you have easy to dig land, access, no water issues and don't have nutty rules to conform to from the council I recon you could do this for about $150k, but I had all of the above and it would have been double. But it's added twice that to the value of the house and the p-cars are at home with me ?

Thanks @stevec, @hugh and @turbot. 

Fortunately access is good for me - I have a rear lane and access to the garage will be level from there (block slopes front to back). I'm also on sand so good and bad I guess. Main reason it will be underground is that I want to grass over the top which will give me a level backyard from the house. Overall should get over 100m2 of garage space and double the backyard space I have now

Quotes are coming in for 180k for above land build for 100sq ex design and permits and surveys etc so just for builder

cant fathom to imagine going underground

i did ask for a double underground and it was north of 300 which was really off putting as I couldn't see how

I'm thinking $300k plus (more likely plus) as only about 60m2 of the area will need to be excavated.  But that carries with it more than just a garage for me.  Level backyard will make a huge difference to amenity

popping it here for discussion

storage is in moorabbin

~110sqm space with mezzanine and bathroom

$300-400k to purchase or 3year lease circa 20kpa

available mid december 16

most units are still available

what are your thoughts

storage is in moorabbin

what are your thoughts

I'd rather use the money to buy another car or couple of cars and rent individual spaces for them.

Presumably there are strata fees on top of the purchase price?  Then you'd have insurance, council rates, land tax, etc

There must be prospect for capital gain, but I doubt it would be the same as for a residential investment

So that's about what I pay a year to rent a spot in a secure garage in Sydney CBD

But surely that is one space, while the Mancaves have enough room for 6-8 cars, plus the mezzanine level. I think if you are looking at it as simple car storage and it is for only one or two cars, it is probably an expensive option. But I know a number of people who have bought units to store and work on their small car collections, and to people in a similar situation, this offers an alternative. The downside is that when selling on, it might not have quite the appeal of a stand alone unit, but the upsides include the quality of the facility, the car wash, cafe and high levels of security including a manager lodging onsite. It takes away many of the hassles of buying a stand alone unit. 

wondering what the bank sees these as

likely commerical but wondering if they would even lend 60%

compared to having circa 400 cash to sit there... plus you'd want to dress it up with a tv and chairs, tools etc

the sticking point for me is the location

stacker - about $60k

digging the hole and sealing it all up - about $90k - 

construction - depends on what you build but a floor, walls bellow and a 2 park garage was roughly another $50k - more for granny flat

pump + emergency pump - $25k

door - $10k ( my crazy arse solution was nearer $25k)

If you have easy to dig land, access, no water issues and don't have nutty rules to conform to from the council I recon you could do this for about $150k, but I had all of the above and it would have been double. But it's added twice that to the value of the house and the p-cars are at home with me ?

Thanks for sharing those numbers T.  Doing the math and considering our land value/m2, the subterranean set up, on your numbers, comes in at way less than the land value 'gained', its a win.   Effectively buying 1-2 car spaces for less than land value.

storage is in moorabbin

what are your thoughts

I have spent the last two years storing cars in different garage spaces whilst building a house. I found it disconnected you from the cars - out of site, out of mind. There is something special about coming home after a shit day and just hanging out with your metal work. Or being able to grab a quick drive anytime you want. I personally would hate trotting out to a shed in the middle of no where...

$300 -$400k is a lot of cash to spend on something that has a limited market. I can't see capital growth covering the cost of ownership.

invest in your own home would be my recommendation. Extra parking will always get  you a return if you live in a city area, and it's tax free if you were to sell

Thanks for sharing those numbers T.  Doing the math and considering our land value/m2, the subterranean set up, on your numbers, comes in at way less than the land value 'gained', its a win.   Effectively buying 1-2 car spaces for less than land value.

certainly in our case. For a $300k spend and based on buyers a agent keeps trotting around the place, we have at least doubled, if not trebled our initial investment. Mind you sqm rates in Paddo are rediculously hi. Looking at a 70sqm plot of land nearby at the moment for a potential development. Going to auction next week with expectations of $1.5m - :unsure:could be the next 'my stacker' thread ?

I have spent the last two years storing cars in different garage spaces whilst building a house. I found it disconnected you from the cars - out of site, out of mind. There is something special about coming home after a shit day and just hanging out with your metal work. Or being able to grab a quick drive anytime you want. I personally would hate trotting out to a shed in the middle of no where...

$300 -$400k is a lot of cash to spend on something that has a limited market. I can't see capital growth covering the cost of ownership.

invest in your own home would be my recommendation. Extra parking will always get  you a return if you live in a city area, and it's tax free if you were to sell

It's not quite as easy as that. First off, it depends on how many cars you own. If it's one or 2, your argument stacks up, but what about those fortunate enough to own more than that. I know a number of people who simply cannot keep their car collection at home. And in my case, you need to add a racing boat that needs regular maintenance. I am lucky, out in the burbs, having the space, but if I was inner city, I would have problems with storage.

But you do raise an interesting point that came up at the weekend and that is about location. For many, that is the key. You really need somewhere that is either next to work or next to home! And you still have a family to come home to. As they get older and do more and more activities, the chances are you will start to come home to an empty house, so you might as well stop at the mancave. In my case, 4 days a week, there is nobody else home until 7.45pm (one day its 8.50pm) and they are away 2 weekends a month. 

If I could find a small unit near Crows Nest/St. Leonards, I could stop off on my way home and then choose which car to drive the rest of the way, after having an hour or 2 to "play" in the mancave.

I rent a locked up garage in the basement of a high rise hotel in Melbourne's inner Northern suburbs for $200/mth and I also have a parking space in a lock up cage for an additional $100/mth in the same place. Yes, its dead money, but like a frigging moron Im waiting for the property boom to crash so I can buy something, push it down and build a new home with a 4 car garage. I have/am currently toying with a comemrcial proprty as a mancave also. 

Where I rent is dry and seems safe (3 years now), Shanons were fine with it and the security is better than I have at home in reality. 

However, totally agree with TurboT, you loose connection with your cars, thats the only downside to me, having them home is where its at. If that setup cost you $300k Tom I think its a bargain

and KGB - your math is spot on. Just like Tom, the suburbs where you live will never have land available at that price again, I say go for it

Dave

Archived