928 fuel economy

ANF

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noted for future reference should these vehicles make it to the 'For Sale' section.

odometer busted? Mine is ;)

Common problem.... mine gets really bad economy, put all this petrol in and travelled 0 km..... ;)

Noted for future reference should these vehicles make it to the 'For Sale' section.

Not selling ever. My cars are cherished and mechanical work is as good as factory standard. And I have a photo record of all work done. See if the local guy offers that service!

Who sells a car online anyway? lol some people are masochists!

Until they are.

Neh! 

A footnote : I repaired the odometer on my 944 and the tripmeter on my Land Rover. The latter required some small cleverness as there is no replacement gear available.

I just can't be arsed doing the 928 even though I have the new cog. Priorities!

IMO cars should have an engine hours meter like my outboard and like a plane. Odometers are like estimating the time of day using someone else's elbow and a piece of cucumber. 

IMO cars should have an engine hours meter like my outboard and like a plane. Odometers are like estimating the time of day using someone else's elbow and a piece of cucumber. 

You what?

• 3 months later...

Odometer now functioning and I am somewhat surprised by my economy....

200km in total, 40km city/ suburbia and 160km country roads/ highway on 24 litres equates to 12 litres per 100km! This is way better than I had thought possible :D

I will keep checking.

Odometer now functioning and I am somewhat surprised by my economy....

200km in total, 40km city/ suburbia and 160km country roads/ highway on 24 litres equates to 12 litres per 100km! This is way better than I had thought possible :D

I will keep checking.

Have you weighed your right foot?

I reckon on a recent trip from the Sunshine Coast to the goldcoast I got about 20/100 just cruising at 100k. Mines the euro with the performance cams etc and auto but this seems high to me plus it idles a bit low and sometimes cuts out so I wonder if I have a problem somewhere. Not really worried about consumption but wonder if it's an indicator of a problem. It's an 84 S2

I reckon on a recent trip from the Sunshine Coast to the goldcoast I got about 20/100 just cruising at 100k. Mines the euro with the performance cams etc and auto but this seems high to me plus it idles a bit low and sometimes cuts out so I wonder if I have a problem somewhere. Not really worried about consumption but wonder if it's an indicator of a problem. It's an 84 S2

When did you last change your O2 sensor? If the O2 sensor is kaput, the car runs rich, and fuel consumption numbers can become pretty atrocious. Common problem in older cars.

The 1984 & 1985 4.7L Euro 928S ( that includes the Australian delivered 928S ) had " NO"  02 sensor  ( oxygen sensor ) because there were "leaded " engines

Typical basic things to check on the 1984 & 1985 Euro S are the following }

A )   TPS idle contact ( ohms) readings at the ECU multi Plugs ( must be done at the ECU multi plugs)

B )  fuel pressure regulators X 2  & the fuel pressure dampener X 1 for leakage into their respective vacuum chambers

Apart from the the above we also have the usual ( every 10 years or so ) reco/ exchange" Luft Hotwire" air mass meter needed on these ,but the Big tuning Issue with the Euro Spec 4.7 S is the dreadful deep last century electronic fuel injectors that were installed new , they are actually a compromised/ modified  "Circa 1969" Bosch " D Jet" injector , meaning the injectors / cars even new they were a tuning issue ( flat spots/ lean miss etc ) , you name it they were dreadful & they got a lot worse in old age

Note } Bosch "D Jet" was Bosch's first electronic fuel injection system for road cars sold to the public , used by Volvo , Mercedes Benz , Citroen & SAAB etc from 1969 to 1975  , so it only lasted a few years & it was interesting , but a bit early & the D jet electronic injectors were a product of the late 1960's & were dreadful even by 1980's standards 

Thank God Bosch and Porsche ran out of stock of these dreadful injectors years & years ago for the 1984 & 1985 Euro 928S & that forced us to find and develop  a better later "this century " injector with this century spray patterns or put another way way better atomisation of the fuel , particularly at lower RPM where the "D" jet style old injectors never worked correctly even when new & the new style injectors give more noticeable power/response & better fuel economy & even a much smoother idle

Interestingly the description of these injectors being a "D" jet ( circa 1969 ) is very apt as only the "D jet" injectors had barbed ( not "O" ring") top fuel fittings , meaning they have a separate short fuel hose from the injector to the fuel rail ( Only  "D Jet" had this )
They also have dedicated "D Jet " only centre of injector body to steel securing bracket ( " D Jet " ) & its square edged buffer seal , even the long black pintle  caps & end seals were "D jet" only components , even the fuel rails were the 1969 "D jet" era round tube style and the fuel rails are NOT bolted to the inlet manifold at all , they are floating on top of the short fuel hoses ( very very very odd stuff to be fitted to the 1984 & 1985 Euro 928S by both Bosch & Porsche )

Note 2 } No other Porsche model sold new were fitted in the 1980's etc with a throw back / compromised electronic fuel injector/s , meaning the same era Porsche's like the 944 series ( 1982> ) had modern for the era Bosch "O" ring injectors , the 9113.2 ( 1984>) had similar modern ( for the era) "O" ring style injectors , the 928 series only received the modern for the era Bosch injectors & fuel rails in the 1986 ( unleaded) 5.0L 32V 928S

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Archived