Creaky front end

jimig

Hi,  I have a 1985 911 and have noticed that after half an hour or so of driving the front end of my car begins to creak,  there is no creaking and the car runs smooth initially when I first take it out.  I'm guessing that it might be when everything (rubbers, bushes) get warm.  I've been underneath with the wheels off but cant see anything obvious.  Wondering if anyone has experienced this or might know what it causing it.

Thanks,

Jim.

Hi,  I have a 1985 911 and have noticed that after half an hour or so of driving the front end of my car begins to creak,  there is no creaking and the car runs smooth

Try spraying the swaybar bushings with silicone spray and see if the creak stops flowing. If not , go around other rubbery bits , including the bonnet rubber.

As Tassie says plus I had a realy bad creak/squeak on a 4WD that only happend late in the day when touring. Called it the knock off squeak. Took a few (quite a few) trips to locate it but  turned out it was the bonnet catch. Bit of the right grease sorted it out. For other rubber bits like bonnet stops etc I put some graphite on a rag and smear that on them.

Thanks tassie and redcran.  What you're saying makes sense.  When I think back the creaking may have started after I took the wheels off and gave the wheel wells a big clean. The degreaser might have affected the rubbers.  I'll spray before the weekend and take it for a test drive in the hills on sunday.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I've had this in a number of cars.  The cause was dry bushes, as the other guys have suggested.  If you don't have silicone spray, spray some soapy water on them and see what happens.

I'll spray before the weekend and take it for a test drive in the hills on sunday.

Test drive? Sure mate, that's just an excuse to go fora drive.:lol:

Hi tassie,  please forgive my ignorance,  but I'm not sure what Polybronze is.

Got underneath again today and silicon sprayed the stabilizer bar rubbers and also graphite powdered the bonnet rubbers.  Find out sunday if it was a success.

Fingers crossed.

Hi tassie,  please forgive my ignorance,  but I'm not sure what Polybronze is.

Aftermarket torsion bar bushings with a  grease nipple. Unless you just removed the front bars and squirted some grease in , not that that is necessary.

Had the car out all day today.  Creak situation is much better but not completely resolved.  I think it took longer for the creaking to start today, could be the cooler air and the lack of sitting in traffic in the hills.  I'll have another look underneath and see if ive missed any rubbers.  Remainder of the creaks may even be comming from the rear.

Coaster,  dont think it needs a re bush as it was done about 7 years ago by the previous owner and it doesn't do many k's .

The silicone spray I applied has made a huge difference and the creaks now are quite minor.  I think if I go over it once more I'll have it sorted.

Lee, as much as I love my music, whenever  I'm in the Porsche the radio never gets turned on.  Nothing beats the sound of the engine in these things

Archived