944 DME FR Wilk Chip

944 Geek

Okay after having it sitting on the shelf for four years I finally installed my FR Wilk chip and OMG!

My 944 is an 85/1 so I had to get a later model DME and I bought one with an AFM from 944online a few years ago except it was for a US car and doesn't work on ours. Can you say money down the drain?

Anyway I recently bought the right DME from a company in England and it arrived so I put the chip in, installed the DME and changed the AFM.

Well what a difference! It feels like someone bolted on two extra cylinders. The infamous flat spot up to 3,000rpm is gone and it pulls like a train up to a new 7,000 rpm redline. It even makes pottering around in 4th gear possible in traffic.

I am an engineering guy, so I don't believe in 'magic' horsepower. Guys put on cone filters that actually suck up hot air from the engine bay and claim its gives more power...Rubbish.

But this chip... I don't know if it increases power at all and frankly I don't care. What the remapping does is transform the 2.5 NA, which is great on the highway, into a car you can enjoy around town. (It makes me wonder what Porsche was thinking when they mapped the original chip.)

It leaps off at the lights like a scalded cat and the power is so evenly delivered that I am driving around with a big grin on my face for the first time in the 10 years I have owned the car.

Now having said that Mr Wilk seems to have disappeared off the radar in the last 2 years, so I am not sure how readily available his chips are and if you are looking for one, make sure it is a Rest Of World chip (ROW) as US chips don't work in our cars (the US engine has less power and I believe a lower compression ratio) but if you can get one, it will make you smile and smile!

He used to have a really great 944 site but most of the links are now dead. See the post further up this page for details. If you can get one you will be as happy as I am.

I got the ROW Race chip. Still can't get the smile off my face!

He used to have a really great 944 site but most of the links are now dead. See the post further up this page for details. If you can get one you will be as happy as I am.

I got the ROW Race chip. Still can't get the smile off my face!

I have sent an email of to the yahoo address, see if I get a reply.

Looks like Floyd (FR Wilks) has gone AWOL, I have had to get PayPal involved as I haven't received the chip I ordered at the beginning of December and all emails and texts go unanswered,

Best to avoid him, I think

Shame as I understand his chips were one of the best

• 3 weeks later...

FR Wilk chip update - Great start bad ending. It looks like Floyd (Wilk) got the mapping wrong for the non US chip. When the car was cold it went like s&#t of a shovel but as son as the engine got hot it stated pinging. I haven't been driving my car a lot, so it took a while to discover.

I even tried the +3 mixture and -3 timing on the FQS and it didn't improve much. It looks like he has the advance curve and the mixture wrong.

His US chips were all the rave and he seems like 'the man' on US spec 150hp 944s but when it comes to our 163hp versions, it doesn't work. I found a guy in Denmark having the same problem. It's a shame because before the engine gets hot, the results are amazing.

Sooooo the upshot is I am talking to a UK company at the moment who say they have a chip that works, as their cars are the same spec as ours.

I will post the results here once I know.

• 3 weeks later...

FR Wilk chip update - Great start bad ending. It looks like Floyd (Wilk) got the mapping wrong for the non US chip. When the car was cold it went like s&#t of a shovel but as son as the engine got hot it stated pinging. I haven't been driving my car a lot, so it took a while to discover.

I even tried the +3 mixture and -3 timing on the FQS and it didn't improve much. It looks like he has the advance curve and the mixture wrong.

His US chips were all the rave and he seems like 'the man' on US spec 150hp 944s but when it comes to our 163hp versions, it doesn't work. I found a guy in Denmark having the same problem. It's a shame because before the engine gets hot, the results are amazing.

Sooooo the upshot is I am talking to a UK company at the moment who say they have a chip that works, as their cars are the same spec as ours.

I will post the results here once I know.

I got excited there for a minute....... till I read the last post........let us know how you go mate- sounds interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me where the chip is located in an S2 and is it easy to inspect?

I would like to try and identify if my car has the original chip or if someone has added an upgrade.

Archived