911sc 1979

Hey guys, decided it was time to introduce myself after a few years of lurking around these parts.

Just picked up a 79 SC from Adelaide and had a bit of a milestone today getting it registered.  I've been looking at P cars for years and have been really unsure whether to get a newer water-cooled model to live with day to day, or take the plunge and find the right AC car to use only on weekend and occasionally. @hugh has been on the receiving end of many conversations about where the market is, what would suit better, etc, etc. So he's probably relieved I actually bought one - thanks for the shove mate!

The car was originally from UK and still chasing up the import docs to see exactly when.  A full rebuild was done at Buiks (Adelaide) about 10 years ago and since then it sat in a shed and traveled only about 5,000 miles.  Unfortunately paperwork has been hard to come by and I can't go back any farther than this (yet).  I know Mark Buik sold it to the guy I bought it from - the rest I'll have to find out over time. Porsche UK have been helpful in confirming original specs on the car which was a bit of a surprise.

The car is great driver and mechanically very sound, however there are many small non-mechanical things to fix over time. Its refreshing to find its a rust free car (as advertised) which I believe is a hard task from the UK - although I believe its been in Australia for a very long time.  This is perfect for me because I want to tinker and learn and improve the car from its current condition.  From what I've seen this forum is a great resource for information.  The interior needs a bit of work and I'm pretty keen on seeing what I do with wheels and a different/no tail.  The PPI prepared me for the smaller things so nothing has been a massive shock (yet).

I picked up the car from Adelaide to begin the journey to Melbourne on a 45 degree day.  That was a baptism of fire in learning about the effectiveness of AC in a 38 year old car!  @LeeM was kind enough to meet me in Adelaide to introduce himself and give me a few tips - mainly to make sure I didn't cook the thing on the way over.  He was a great help checking on the car for me as it was a sight unseen purchase - so a massive thanks to him for his help.

We made it no problems at all - temp and oil pressure were fine the whole way across and everything ran very smoothly.  In fact the engine probably needed a good workout after sitting around for so long.  I had a wedding in Halls Gap so made a stop there on the way home for a couple of days and played on some roads through the Grampians which was a blast.

Very little needed to be done for RWC here in Melbourne - new front rotors and a new window washer pump - and now we're all good to go.  Just looking forward to the driving part now!

I'm looking forward to the PFA track day so might see some of you around there!

File_000%203.jpeg

File_000%201.jpeg

SC's are fantastic !!! I've used one for tarmac rally for many years....if you get a good one they're extremely reliable & not expensive to maintain. In ten years we've done at least 20,000 rally km & the car has only let us down once due to a $20 electrical part that was replaced in less than 10mins. Congratulations & enjoy enthusiastically....ha ha

Cheers,

Matt

Archived