Porsche 928: Sweet Dream

JV911

The 928 was always the premium Porsche and any new Panamera coupe would be. If it is ever made can't see it being called a 928, hope not either as it will have nought in common with the 928 design of old.... it will basically be a 2 door Panamera, while not a bad thing, not a 928.

Ironically the thing that killed the 928, high price, probably would not be an issue now.....

What does a 991 have in common with a 2.2E?

I'd be happy if they called a Pana Coupe a 928, both being big barges for their day.

the shape, the style, instantly recognisable as a 911, and it looks special, different.

the 928 has unique styling and drive train layout, the Panamera does not. I like the Panamera and would own one but it is not special enough to wear a 928 badge.

I prefer this interpretation, perfect mix of new and old IMO

d4492146a92178f283362a5c7828c9b8-jpg.380

that is more like it :)

the shape, the style, instantly recognisable as a 911, and it looks special, different.

So Porsche couldn't design the Pana Coupe to look like a 928? 

911 instantly recognizable; see above^

the 928 has unique styling and drive train layout, the Panamera does not. I like the Panamera and would own one but it is not special enough to wear a 928 badge.

So Porsche couldn't design the Pana Coupe to look like a 928? 

Transaxle.  Really, that's the reason, c'mon!  Water cooling the 911 and increasing it's capacity and whacking turbos on it is nothing in comparison to bolting the gearbox onto the back of the Pana's engine...  I know it's still 1997 down there. ;)

that is more like it :)

Totally unacceptable as the 928 didn't have a vent in the front guard. :P

The transaxle gave all the front engine cars perfect weight balance and was a rather unique design/ engineering point, the Panamera is just like any other car... why did you buy your 928, why not a Merc or a Jag.... ???

Anyway it is just my opinion and will never be built.....

I really hate that the management destroyed the Porsche balance sheet and got consumed by VW.  Th chances of unique Porsches have disappeared forever.  Everything will be a platform engineered car with some unique engines.  Zero chance of a 928 in the long run.  It's an suv business with a small side line in sports cars to keep the badge snobbery working.

I agree with much of your assessment, @Coastr, but let's remember that Porsche still has a significant motorsport division. And the last time they developed a common platform (996/986) it kept the ship afloat - albeit while they were the captain of their own ship.

.. why did you buy your 928, why not a Merc or a Jag.... ???

Not directly because of the trans axle, it was the overall package, handling, noise, aesthetics, and general f#@k offishness of it.  Appreciated them in their day, had clients who drove them but couldn't stretch that far back then as a young guy starting out.  I'd never own a Jag.  Had a W113, different beast.  

A Pana coupe would probably still weigh close to 2 tonnes...the 928 feels pretty agile despite the big V8 up front...2 tonne cars even though massively powerful feel like 2 tonne cars...

Same 2.2E v 991 argument.  Everything is portly now.

Not directly because of the trans axle, it was the overall package, handling, noise, aesthetics, and general f#@k offishness of it.  Appreciated them in their day, had clients who drove them but couldn't stretch that far back then as a young guy starting out.  I'd never own a Jag.  Had a W113, different beast.  

Same 2.2E v 991 argument.  Everything is portly now.

Great reasons :) Trans axle and handling go hand in hand. I am not saying that the trans axle is the best thing about the 928 just that it is an integral part of making it make it is.

I also love the curved rear 1/4 windows, the unique styling, such a great car, it cannot be improved upon or modernised - they got it right. Any new coupe however remote that it will be made call it a Panamera Coupe .....

Any new coupe however remote that it will be made call it a Panamera Coupe .....

We're just merchant bankering on here, Porsche will never call it a 928, it'd be a Panacoupia for sure.  And won't have the super sexy rear windows either.

It wouldn't be panamera coupe, but it wouldn't be a 928 either, now would it be a 9xx.  P-something or other exotic sounding.

Wont happen.  Growth areas are China and ME.  Former likes back seats and latter likes SUVs.  The 2 door luxury grand tourer is a dying beast and the 991does most of it anyway, whereas the Cayman fills in for the original 911, albeit without 2+2 seating.

Archived