Found and fitted (with pic): 996.1 aero (ie GT3 style) front bumper and side skirts

D2000

I love the look of the aero kit on a 996.1, but given mine is not a GT3 I don't want to go the whole hog.

So just looking to get a front bumper (https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-body-trim-parts/porsche-996-body-trim-parts-1998-to-2005/porsche-996-body-styling-1998-to-2005/front-bumper-aero-gt3-02.html) and side skirts (https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-body-trim-parts/porsche-996-body-trim-parts-1998-to-2005/porsche-996-body-styling-1998-to-2005/996-gt3-aero-side-sills-mk1-oe.html).

Problem is while I want genuine parts and something in good condition, I don't want to pay the price that is being asked for new parts (see the above links).  So anyone have any parts they are looking to sell or have any tips on where to find them.

I'm based in Sydney.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are not in a rush, EBay is not a bad source for them.  I have picked up two 996 GT3 bumpers off EBay (sorry not selling) I got one brand new from a supplier in Germany and got one second hand from a race team in Melbourne. I saved an EBay search and checked the web site every couple of days and after a few months go what I wanted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PORSCHE-CARRERA-996-GT3-1998-2002-FRONT-BUMPER-IN-YELLOW-GENUINE-/172487961170?hash=item2829156a52:g:H8kAAOSwcUBYLJqY

If you are not in a rush, EBay is not a bad source for them.  I have picked up two 996 GT3 bumpers off EBay (sorry not selling) I got one brand new from a supplier in Germany and got one second hand from a race team in Melbourne. I saved an EBay search and checked the web site every couple of days and after a few months go what I wanted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PORSCHE-CARRERA-996-GT3-1998-2002-FRONT-BUMPER-IN-YELLOW-GENUINE-/172487961170?hash=item2829156a52:g:H8kAAOSwcUBYLJqY

Thanks for the tip. I'm in no rush

There is a guy in melbourne selling a gt3 front bumper on Gumtree. If you type porsche 996 and look for in melbourne, it should pop up.

Thanks. I think that is a 996.2 one unfortunately...

Thats a 996.2 front bumper, but the tacos come up on ebay from time to time as everyone has mentioned. Unfortunately in the US they have begun to love that "taco" wing so i'd check out AUS and UK ebay but it might take longer.

I saw one sell for a few hundred on ebay once, that guy got a deal! 

Thats a 996.2 front bumper, but the tacos come up on ebay from time to time as everyone has mentioned. Unfortunately in the US they have begun to love that "taco" wing so i'd check out AUS and UK ebay but it might take longer.

I saw one sell for a few hundred on ebay once, that guy got a deal! 

might have found a bumper in the US. Just trying to work out reasonable shipping for such a big but fairly light part. Welcome any suggestions 

Can't find reasonable shipping prices for the US one so looks like the search continues.

Can anyone confirm the correct part number for the bumper as there seem to be a few floating around, including:

996.505.983.01 and

996.505.980.03G2X

Both seem to be advertised in different places as 996 MK1 GT3 front bumpers, although the second seems to potentially be a Boxster part but suitable for 996 (just as the first is suitable for 986)

Sure does.  The G2X one is on the list (seems to be one of three part number it is 1 in the diagram then in the "Pos" column it is item 1, but there are then items (1) and again (1), so not sure what that means!

Sure does.  The G2X one is on the list (seems to be one of three part number it is 1 in the diagram then in the "Pos" column it is item 1, but there are then items (1) and again (1), so not sure what that means!

In the remark column on the PET, there are numbers -02(up to year 2002), 03-(after year 2003), 04-(after year 2004). Also the 04- has option code M004 as well in the Model column.

They possibly used a slight variation through these years on the front bumper.

@Carrera28, what did you pay for having the bumper painted?  Just trying to work out whether I go with new bumper and side skirts, as figuring out postage from the US is too hard.  Can get new ones from the UK for about $5,000 (bumper, side skirts, shipping and duties) vs about $6800 here.

Also, do you per chance remember the name of the supplier you got your new bumper from in Germany?

Cheers

@Carrera28, what did you pay for having the bumper painted?  Just trying to work out whether I go with new bumper and side skirts, as figuring out postage from the US is too hard.  Can get new ones from the UK for about $5,000 (bumper, side skirts, shipping and duties) vs about $6800 here.

Also, do you per chance remember the name of the supplier you got your new bumper from in Germany?

Cheers

I paid $600 to have the front bar painted and fitted.

I am not sure about the supplier I will see if I have their details at home.

I definitely got my front bar for a lot less than that price and it was  brand new unpainted bumper with the correct Porsche factory number.

If you wanted to fit it yourself its reasonably straight forward to remove/install, its about 8 screws and about an hours work if you're handy.

As for shipping if its the USA ask the seller if they have a fedex account, shipping from the UK and Germany can get very pricey. The problem isn't the actual weight its volumetric weight which on a front bar is a fair bit.

I have found the seller, unfortunately their price is a bit more expensive than I paid:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEU-ORIG-Porsche-911-996-GT3-AeroKit-CUP-Front-Stosstange-auch-fur-986-Boxster-/152432054357?hash=item237da89055

They have a website, the details of which you can get from their Ebay advertisement

thanks a lot. Still much cheaper especially when you deduct VAT. Any idea what you paid for shipping?

thanks a lot. Still much cheaper especially when you deduct VAT. Any idea what you paid for shipping?

No idea sorry, just drop them a line and they will give you a quote.  The trick is with postage, the front bar comes in a big box which is not cheap.  The upside is there is a significant amount of space around the bumper which could be filled with other smaller items for no additional postage charge.

This is what you'd be after: 

https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequipment-shop/model-911-996/1/Exterieur--/Front-bumper/44

Costs around $1300 before shipping it's $180 cheaper than design911 but you might end up paying more in shipping with Teile.

Suspect that should be the other way around :)

Design 911 has a sale at the moment and are selling the GT3 bumper for 922 GBP which converts to around $1,480 AUD, the Teile bumper is currently 1,135 Euro which converts to around 1,562 AUD :)

I have dealt with both sellers, you may be right about Design 911 being cheaper for postage, but I remember that Teile were much quicker in delivery.

One other option is to wait until EBay or the sellers have discounts.  I think EBay has a code for 10% off until end of 2 March, a while ago they had a 20% off code.  I spent 6 months watching bumper bar prices on EBay and didn't buy one until I was certain I was getting the best price at best exchange rate.

Cheers @Carrera28 and @dan_189

Do you guys recommend the version with or without the centre cooler hole?

PS - shipping with design911 is about 450 pounds

If I bought it from Design 911 I would definitely get it with the hole in the middle as it is cheaper :)

Personally I think it's a matter of personal preference.  When fitted to a non GT3 as an option it didn't have the hole and GT3s did have the hole.  There is an argument that if you don't have a GT3 you should get the one without the hole as it makes it clear you are not pretending its a GT3 B)

Unless you plan to fit a centre radiator there is not a lot of benefit in the hole so it comes down to whichever is cheaper.

I would advise getting mesh/grill etc for the bumper and having your panel beater fit this when they paint it to prevent rocks and gunk getting in behind. 

Thanks for the detailed response @Carrera28. The 1,135 euro includes VAT which should come off for a sale to Aus. 

Arguably the bumper with centre hole looks better, but that said I'm not sure I noticed a difference before I started looking at it!

Cheers @Carrera28 and @dan_189

Do you guys recommend the version with or without the centre cooler hole?

PS - shipping with design911 is about 450 pounds

Only just realised you asked this because I had left a tab in chrome open!

Anyway if your car is a manual then it wont have the hole (unless it has the x51 powerkit). So depends, i'm torn my (mk2 996 with aerokit ii) doesn't have the cutout but sometimes I look at it and think visually there should be one there.

On purely aesthetics it looks better without the hole but then its another place to get debris stuck in. You could also put in a 3rd radiator to use the hole but if your car doesn't see regular track time its not worth the expense IMO. 

If you have a tiptronic ignore all the comments above you need the cutout.

Also if you want a true GT3 "look" both MK1 and MK2 have the cutout

Only just realised you asked this because I had left a tab in chrome open!

Anyway if your car is a manual then it wont have the hole (unless it has the x51 powerkit). So depends, i'm torn my (mk2 996 with aerokit ii) doesn't have the cutout but sometimes I look at it and think visually there should be one there.

On purely aesthetics it looks better without the hole but then its another place to get debris stuck in. You could also put in a 3rd radiator to use the hole but if your car doesn't see regular track time its not worth the expense IMO. 

If you have a tiptronic ignore all the comments above you need the cutout.

Also if you want a true GT3 "look" both MK1 and MK2 have the cutout

cheers. I was thinking that the version with the hole might be better because then I'd have a wider market if I decide to take it off later and sell it. 

Also reconsidering the proposition because shipping from Teile is about 1,000 euros which would make bumper and side skirts about $5,000 landed (including customs/gst). Allowing another $1,000 for paint and fitting makes it $6,000. A lot to spend for a slight visual upgrade!

Archived