Private Sale

Howe

Is there a better method of payment other than Cash that allows settlement to be executed on the day of sale?

Bank cheques, Direct deposit and EFT all need to be cleared before you release the car.

If doing on a weekday your bank should be able to do an immediate EFT for a slightly higher than normal fee. 

Also, I don't see why a bank cheque necessarily needs to be cleared

I thought a bank cheque was as good as cash?

bank cheque can be cancelled by the customer. But as far as I know (not very far just conversation with St George when they issued a bank cheque in my name on behalf of their customer who was buying a car from me - I literally went to the bank with the guy) there needs to be a reason, eg lost it. Not sure if you rights would then be against the bank in addition to the customer if it was cancelled on false basis

Even bank cheques take 24+ hours to clear.  And they can be cancelled.   Inter-bank transfers to 24+ hours also.  Intra bank transfers should appear immediately.

However, later this year instant payments between bank accounts will be possible within Australia (even globally).   As soon as you send money from your account, you will get a notification from the recipient that they have received it.   New banking systems and customer apps are coming your way.

So selling a car in person will become SO easy.

I used bank cheque to purchase. Went into my bank with the buyer to get it. Went into his bank and watched him present it. He has the money and I can't cancel it as it has been presented. Drive with a smile.

Archived