Sun visor repair or remove?

Stu

I have a '77 SC targa. The sun visors seem to just be in my line of sight. I am tallish so I am wondering is their a way to hold them up high or has anyone just femoved them all together? Would it look unsightly? Or is that a crime!? ?

My 78 has the drivers visor sagging like a bag of spuds, and removed it for a day. Bit of a pain when the sun is in your eyes (I'm over 6 foot) so I'd say you'd regret it.

Am looking for an alternative like the 50's Beetles with a dark perspex visor

Buy repro visors, alternately give a DIY fix a try.

some slice them open carefully remove old filling,  then insert a stiff foam then heat weld close.

if you wanted to get pedantic , could make a 2 part mdf mould, and use a suitable expanding medium to refill the skin.

thought about lowering the seat? 

I have a '77 SC targa. The sun visors seem to just be in my line of sight. I am tallish so I am wondering is their a way to hold them up high or has anyone just femoved them all together? Would it look unsightly? Or is that a crime!? ?

Are yours slowing falling down from the totally stowed position or are they puffy from long term sun exposure?

If they're slowly falling, you can pull hard on the rear view mirror side of the visor and with force they will come away from the pivot point.  I tried this on the 944 and it did come away and went back on without any issue.  There is a bar about 80mm long that you can wrap plumbing tape around to build up the interference, then slide them back on with a bit of force.  This should stop them sagging slowly down.  I don't know if it's the same for an SC.

I understand the visors change by model and some have a small screw that can be tightened near the door side.

If they are puffy, might need a new set.

had a similar problem, sun visors turned into big fluffy pillows on the SC

Got a set of replacement visors as it was cheaper than fixing

I also run one with a sunstrip with no sun visors, works well too

I run recaro in the 3.2 and sparco in the SC to get a lower sitting position

Deep dish momo wheel helps too

come over and have a look before you decide 

Thanks guys that is some awesome info, they are sagging so I am going to have a closer look and see if I can adjust. Andrew thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that offer!

Yep, check the ADRs for:

removal, required for rego

replacement material, safety in an accident (Perspex would shatter and /or be like a knife.)

windscreen sun strips, they have allowable dimensions

Unless you do something stupid to attract the attention of the authorities, it is possible to get away with slightly naughty "modifications".

It's only illegal when you get caught.

LOL got it OZ, I was amused at the seriousness of removing a visor which stops me from seeing the road - haha. Still not sure what I should do, might take it to a trimmer and get some advice on if the can improve or just buy some new ines online and hope!

Archived