Lucky Me

thumperson

So I needed a little work on the Macan and Porsche Centre Gold Coast gave a very lightly used 991.1 911 Carrera S pdk non-SC for the day. The car was 98% my perfect spec. I got to do over 200km of which was mostly multi lane motorway work with a little bit of inner city Brisbane thrown in. I have spent very little time in 911s previously and this was really my first opportunity to "bond" with one. 

First off, let me say, what an event the car was and I was blown away by how different it felt to the Cayman in almost every way. The noise of the larger engine was awesome but sounded so far away, being at the back of the car, compared to the Cayman. The torque was very welcome after my 2.7 but I order to make the engine sing its howl you had to do some pretty serious speeds. The interior was fantastic but five dials was a lot to look at so I think I prefer my 3 dials. 

What I noticed the most was the bum heaviness. I was shocked and now understand the 911 thing and why it is so different. The Cayman is noticeably more evenly planted. The 911 was also a massive dickhead attractant which generated much tailgating from knobs in 4wd Utes  

I could go on and on for ages but in the end, even though loving the 911, I was more than happy to be back in my low powered, rev hungry baby as the 911 was not $160k better IMHO. Still bloody awesome though. 

The 911 was also a massive dickhead attractant which generated much tailgating from knobs in 4wd Utes 

You can add Volkswagen Golf GTI drivers into that same mix.

Confirmed negative of 911 ownership.

You can add Volkswagen Golf GTI drivers into that same mix.

Confirmed negative of 911 ownership.

lol. Yeah and really aggressive in barrelling up to the rear of the car and getting really close even with three other empty lanes to choose from.  Probably a side effect of meth addiction. 

I don,t know if any one else is noticing this but lately I get every new Mustang owner being a tool around me when driving my 911 ,,,wanting to drag race off the lights ,,tail gating and coming up along side on a motorway and trying the provoke a race reving their engines like 21 year old boy racers ........Whats with these Guy,s ....?

I don,t know if any one else is noticing this but lately I get every new Mustang owner being a tool around me when driving my 911 ,,,wanting to drag race off the lights ,,tail gating and coming up along side on a motorway and trying the provoke a race reving their engines like 21 year old boy racers ........Whats with these Guy,s ....?

well they don't want to race where there might be corners etc where they might need to bring their airbags and two star safety rating in to play. 

If you got it you don't have to flaunt it and a mustang is a flaunt it (whatever a 60k American HOS lets you flaunt) kinda car. 

Hmmm. Now I wonder who I know recently sold his GT3 to buy a Mustang?? :D ;)

I'll get the popcorn!

really. Wow. Did he have a head injury??

I am sorry if they are offended. It still doesn't Change the two star rating.

In the interests of full disclosure I really like the look of them too. I think they might have the brightest blinkers in history too. I reckon you can see them from space. 

He seemed void of any cranial deficiency when I spoke to him last weekend :D

really. Wow. Did he have a head injury??

I am sorry if they are offended. It still doesn't Change the two star rating.

In the interests of full disclosure I really like the look of them too. I think they might have the brightest blinkers in history too. I reckon you can see them from space. 

I'd say classic 911 ownership is very different though, much broader appeal generally. 

as in the moderate threat of being thrown backwards into a hedge at the slightest hint of lifting off mid corner has broad appeal ?

Make mine a white 993 please. 

as in the moderate threat of being thrown backwards into a hedge at the slightest hint of lifting off mid corner has broad appeal ?

Commitment. ;)

Archived