Fuch reanodising

Pfitz911

Looking for a place in Adelaide for Fuchs reanodising. I'm planning on removing existing anodising chemically (any tips welcome) and polishing before handing them in. I believe this was how the factory did them. Cant afford weidman/Al in USA

Anyone know "malrob on typ901 forum? He apparently found a place in Adelaide that gave a close finish. I'd contact him myself but you have to pay $$ to be on that forum

i plan to anodise and paint to make my 15x6 and 15x7 flat Fuchs look like deep 6 ie. have the black further out into the outside of the rim

thanks gents

Dan

Hey Dan

Failing your request, I'd get onto Craig at Buiks, as I'm pretty sure they've sorted that sorta thing out before. Or get onto 9er here (Chris) to see if he can help, as he what he doesn't know ain't worth knowing!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a place in Adelaide for Fuchs reanodising. I'm planning on removing existing anodising chemically (any tips welcome) and polishing before handing them in. I believe this was how the factory did them. Cant afford weidman/Al in USA

Anyone know "malrob on typ901 forum? He apparently found a place in Adelaide that gave a close finish. I'd contact him myself but you have to pay $$ to be on that forum

i plan to anodise and paint to make my 15x6 and 15x7 flat Fuchs look like deep 6 ie. have the black further out into the outside of the rim

thanks gents

Dan

You're going to have to sand / polish off the anodising - the polish job is probably the most critical part to get right, because if it isn't perfect, the anodising wont react and will look bad.

Ask me how I know.

There's only 2 types of anodised wheels - shit ones and good ones - no short cuts.

Otherwise go the scotch brite and clear coat method and don't anodise at all.

Not much help to Adelaide people but I googled around to see was in Brisbane - this site came up with an anodised 917 valve cover as the opening picture.  So they must know about refinishing wheels as well

http://www.apachecoatings.com.au/

Or maybe buy some fuchs in Us, and send them to a place in costa mesa, which apparently is the new Al Reed??

Ive read the whole polishing/scotchbrite thing, and they look great, but maintenance!! Clear coat can darken the finish?

Or maybe buy some fuchs in Us, and send them to a place in costa mesa, which apparently is the new Al Reed??

Ive read the whole polishing/scotchbrite thing, and they look great, but maintenance!! Clear coat can darken the finish?

Have a look on Early 911S Registry - a lot of the regular guys are rating the place in Costa Mesa highly and say the finish is as good as Harvey's - comparatively cheap and only a month or so turn around.

I would be calling the guys in Costa Mesa and seeing what they might have to sell - people change plans and want to sell wheels before they leave the shop. 15 x 6 and 7 flats shouldn't be a lot of $ over there either.

The anodising can be removed with oven cleaner, I used easy off bam on some 912 wheels I did. Just spray it on and leave for a while and then wipe it off. I just polished and painted my wheels. Normal paint stripper to get the paint off. When you start polishing you will see any bits of anodising you've missed so you just reapply the oven cleaner. Hope this helps!

No worries.

The guy I bought my rims from said he actually cleaned the hell out of the outer rims with Brightshine (the cotton wadding in a can. Great stuff) then cleared them I think, as it was pretty expensive for the shop to do the whole job

See how ya go with the shop anyway ;) 

Archived