Advice needed for my first P car purchase: Is PPI needed for a 10 yrs / 80K km Boxster 987??

vicraz

hi everyone, I have been lurking here for a while until I am finally about to go ahead with my first P-car purchase - how exciting!

This vehicle I am looking at is a 07 Boxster 987 with approx 80K km on the clock; from surface it looks decent with no visible damage. The only concern is: due to low mileage, services were completed by Porsche dealers, but were done by the 'KM interval' instead of 'Time Interval';  there were almost 3 years apart between recent 2 services. Do you reckon that can be problematic? 

Also I was told by a friend that because of low Mileage, a PPI may not be required. Do you guys think it's worthwhile to do a PPI? 

Thanks so much for the input in advance! 

it's totally up to you - but I guess it's what you're comfortable with. It's cheap piece of mind to know the condition of the car in general, but then again sometimes a PPI doesn't pick up everything.

I'm pretty sure the service book for the boxster specifies time interval AND km interval - maybe a bargaining point with the seller

When you're spending the money that this car is probably worth, I'd say get a ppi. Do some model research and find out what can go wrong, or need work from that mileage and into the future. Then tell the inspector what you need info on, apart from the run of the mill stuff.  Regarding the km over time servicing, I suppose it depends on how the car was used during that time.

I was only saying to LeeM the other week that the forum needs a Resources section, where members can download stuff, like a ppi checklist for model X. 

I guess it would put your mind at rest,a ppi could find any issues and for what they cost it could save you $$$.As for me I took a chance that turned out to be ok based on previous owners and what had been done to it over the years.

Good luck with the purchase you will love every minute of ownership and every second of driving.

Agree whole heartedly with Byron Bay Chris, get a PPI.  You might be surprised what it will bring up.  

Definitely worth the money.   Could end up saving you thousands.

Re the services, in reality what has been done has been done.  If it has been serviced by a Porsche dealer, that would give me confidence.

The old argument re service intervals compared to kilometres travelled...

It's not as though there is any warranty issue at stake now.

Oil now a days, is of an excellent standard, especially seeing as it has been a P dealer putting it in.

You know the right stuff has been put in (I'm assuming you have the service book with the car to confirm)

I wouldn't be too concerned about that issue.   Anyway a PPI should also find anything that may be a problem engine wise.

A 987 Box is a great choice for a P car introduction.   Welcome to the forum.

Keep us up to date with your purchase and subsequent PPI etc.

Good luck with it.

The only things I would be worried about on that car are:

- previous paint or accident repair

- IMS which is a debate in itself and what can you do anyway?

- operation of the roof and condition of the fabric

- Rear main seal - not the end of the world

- pads and rotors; likely need replacing at that age I think.

Things that can go "wrong" are air oil separator and water pump.

But at the top of my list would be the paint and panel work.

How much of a "car guy" are you? do you do any of your own mechanical work?

The 2 PPI I have had done over the last 4 years ended up being a "waste" of my money.. ie, they told me stuff I already knew and could see myself. But more of an eye opener was the first one, (proper ridgy didge Porsche) on a 987 Boxster S, didn't tell me any of the paint or previous issues.. and there were 3 shades of blue on that car.

Live and learn; but just remember, a PPI is no guarantee. It will however give you a more in depth view to enable a more informed decision.

If you are in Brisbane, I have a Durametric and can pull codes etc if needed.

it's totally up to you - but I guess it's what you're comfortable with. It's cheap piece of mind to know the condition of the car in general, but then again sometimes a PPI doesn't pick up everything.

I'm pretty sure the service book for the boxster specifies time interval AND km interval - maybe a bargaining point with the seller

thank you Russ

I wouldn't be too worried about the service intervals from a reliability perspective but I would definitely get a PPI done.

Buying privately is always buyer beware and anyone who doesn't service the car on time I would be at least wary of, maybe they just got told about a big service item that needs to be done and don't want to do it. PPI will hopefully pick up on any big issues and at least make you aware of any service items upcoming like pads/rotors/wheel bearings etc..

When you're spending the money that this car is probably worth, I'd say get a ppi. Do some model research and find out what can go wrong, or need work from that mileage and into the future. Then tell the inspector what you need info on, apart from the run of the mill stuff.  Regarding the km over time servicing, I suppose it depends on how the car was used during that time.

I was only saying to LeeM the other week that the forum needs a Resources section, where members can download stuff, like a ppi checklist for model X. 

that would be so much easier for newbies like me :) 

Agree whole heartedly with Byron Bay Chris, get a PPI.  You might be surprised what it will bring up.  

Definitely worth the money.   Could end up saving you thousands.

Re the services, in reality what has been done has been done.  If it has been serviced by a Porsche dealer, that would give me confidence.

The old argument re service intervals compared to kilometres travelled...

It's not as though there is any warranty issue at stake now.

Oil now a days, is of an excellent standard, especially seeing as it has been a P dealer putting it in.

You know the right stuff has been put in (I'm assuming you have the service book with the car to confirm)

I wouldn't be too concerned about that issue.   Anyway a PPI should also find anything that may be a problem engine wise.

A 987 Box is a great choice for a P car introduction.   Welcome to the forum.

Keep us up to date with your purchase and subsequent PPI etc.

Good luck with it.

Thanks so much Niko; will do :) 

The only things I would be worried about on that car are:

- previous paint or accident repair

- IMS which is a debate in itself and what can you do anyway?

- operation of the roof and condition of the fabric

- Rear main seal - not the end of the world

- pads and rotors; likely need replacing at that age I think.

Things that can go "wrong" are air oil separator and water pump.

But at the top of my list would be the paint and panel work.

How much of a "car guy" are you? do you do any of your own mechanical work?

The 2 PPI I have had done over the last 4 years ended up being a "waste" of my money.. ie, they told me stuff I already knew and could see myself. But more of an eye opener was the first one, (proper ridgy didge Porsche) on a 987 Boxster S, didn't tell me any of the paint or previous issues.. and there were 3 shades of blue on that car.

Live and learn; but just remember, a PPI is no guarantee. It will however give you a more in depth view to enable a more informed decision.

If you are in Brisbane, I have a Durametric and can pull codes etc if needed.

Thanks for the input Mike - unfortunately I am not a car guy at all; as a matter of fact, i dont even know much about 'normal cars', let alone P cars. Hopefully I wouldn't run into a lot of troubles down the track; fingers crossed... 

Im a bit yeah-nah on the ppi for a fairly new car and only 80k! Its still new in my book.   Talk to the owner, prev owner, their mechanic.... Take a good close look at the car yourself, press every button, flick every switch. Long time between services means good for me (weekender, not on the road alot, garaged) Hey, you've just saved a few hundred bucks!! And some charge alot for a p-car ppi...! 

I wouldn't waist the money on a PPI when buying a car for myself because i know a fair bit and work on all my own cars.

Saying that i would definitely recommend for someone that is not a car person or know there way inside and out a car. Could save yourself buying a real POS.

With the exception of my current car I have usually gone with a PPI. Apart from giving you an a good assessment of the overall condition of the car, if you do purchase it, it will give you an good idea of what maintenance will be required in the future and allow you to budget for it. Good luck with the search. They are fantastic cars.

I wonder what the 'safety factor' put into service interval times (not distance) is? Lack of use is bad for a car

I think the bigger influencer is the 'money factor' since not needing to come in for servicing once a year is bad for service departments bottom line ;)

Recently purchased a 987 similar year. Things to look for as part of a PPI are:-

• has the major service been completed? (costly)
  • does the roof open and close OK - pay attention to the side rails and that the roof is pulled correctly into them - check the nylon ball joints in the mechanism to ensure they are not broken - count on replacing them with metal ones (plenty of youtube videos on this issue)
  • Check that drain holes for the roof are not clogged with leaf debris - need to place it in the "service position"
  • oil leaks from RMS evident by slight oil leakage at bottom of bell housing
  • check the door speakers, especially the bass driver - on mine, the rubber part of the cone had disintegrated - evident with when turned up loud
  • do an inspection of the oil filter for metal debris by opening it up (requires you to pay for an oil change, but worthwhile) - only do this if everything else stacks up
  • check wear on rotors - any high points on outside?
  • check the front radiator air intakes for leaf debris and clogging

Archived