Switchable Exhaust | 70s 911

Pork Chops

You know.  It's loud and throaty and then you hit a button and it's all tame and quiet.

Any idea of how this could be done?  Done it before yourself?  Know someone who sells a kit?  I've got some ideas but yours are most welcome too.

exhaust on both sides of the muffler and a switch on one side, either puts the exhaust straight out one pipe, or switches it through the muffler and out the other pipe

exhaust on both sides of the muffler and a switch on one side, either puts the exhaust straight out one pipe, or switches it through the muffler and out the other pipe

You mean like this?  What switches?  Electric?  Mechanical?  Located where?  I'm concerned they may not last long so close to the headers, and especially if electric.

Any pics of a system, or details of components or layouts?

Cheers.

IMG_7296-L.jpg

On the the Current Porsche cars with PSE I believe that  vacuum diaphragms are used to activate the flaps in the mufflers that open and close ...the vacuum is then controlled by an electric switch or solenoid  that allows it to go to the actuator diaphragms on the mufflers...

image003_zps48bd5e59.png

images.jpg

I have thought about doing the same thing. You can get the valves reasonably cheap on ebay. You can either get ones with a cable type set up, which you can pull to cord in the cabin, or get the electric ones. The main issue I see with them is all they basically do is block off a lot of the exhaust flow (basically like a throttle body). I worry about how much this effects power when it is quiet, by creating a heap of restriction. You could reasonably easily put them into your car like the diagram you have shown, only the extra mufflers would not be there. 

Just thinking about it a bit further. If I did it again, I could have probably installed a valve internally inside my muffler so that basically the exhaust can always travel out of the left exit, and the valve would open up the second exit to give it more noise. I am not sure if I can be bothered opening it up again and doing it now though. If My current mod is too loud I might consider it.

Yeh a muffler like your rear can style would be quite easy to install a valve into that opens and closes to direct gas,s out one side or both ,,the thing is like DJM said is it worth all the trouble when your early 70,s hot rods are meant to be noisy ,,,if I had PSE on my 997 I would set it up to be on all the time ,,as it is I have Fister D mufflers and they do that anyway and are at a volume not over loud but loud enough to make you feel good about the sound it makes ..

I am certain your car will sound really good due to the ITB induction noise ,,,I would not worry about the exhaust until the car has been up and running for a period of time ,,,its not hard to modify or change out the type of muffler you are using as you know ..

I am very keen on hearing Neills RSR replica fire up his exhaust system looks very similar what is on the SINGER cars less the two side mufflers and should sound really wild ...

That set up would be loud as hell as it looks like when the valves are open the exhaust gas,s are literally going straight through the muffler ,,,would be like a full open exhaust system with zero baffling  .............ear plugs required ? 

I have been stewing on this for the past couple of hours now and I have figured out how I can do it to my exhaust by only cutting into the back of one end of one side of the exhaust and installing the valve. 

I suppose the main thing for yours Nick, is what exhaust/muffler do you currently have? The internal design of that muffler would effect how it can be modified. If it is that same as mine, I can send you my ideas and you could possibly get some one to build it down there for you.

HSVs have had this thing for a while - how does the valve work in those mufflers?

I'm guessing the design is just about making the gas flow through a different route.  If worried about restriction the closed valve would let the exhaust go the 'normal' way, and the open valve is a bypass which would leave the 'normal' way stil lthere but let the gas out a less restrictive way, just like a wastegate.  

I smell an aftermarket parts business opportunity by the amount of lurking in this post.

Coastr is onto it. I agree, and so does Monty, so he's going to have a crack at designing something for me. I'll be his R&D guinea pig. He'll be following this thread so why not express interest here so he can gauge the level of demand there may be.

All that noise difference for 1hp!

It's an excellent result but 2,800 GBP plus shipping etc and no details on how the system works apart from at the beginning of the thread where it's a case of reaching under the car and switching the valve.  Not sure if that's as far as they went or if they're protecting IP.

Archived