997.1 Turbo Performance Upgrades

Hi all

Recently sold my 987 Cayman S and bought a 997.1 Turbo.  Loving the torque and explosive acceleration.  

Might be an unpopular view here, but compared to the Cayman S I find the handling a bit soft. 

Has anyone out there undertaken any mods to improve handling feel - whether that be suspension related, or other solutions?

Be great to hear from you all. 

Cheers!

Dave

My understanding is that the 997.1 turbo suspension is known to be a bit on the soft side, so I'm sure nobody will take offence.

I'd be interested in any other comparisons between your 997 and your Cayman if you care to ponder. .... 

I could be wrong, but i believe because it's classed as a street car, so it's still designed to be comfortable and fast. 

Suspension upgrades are a good place to start. I personally run KW v3's in my 944 turbo. They IMO are very good street suspension that you can take to the track. They feature a dual speed valving where the high speed valves keep the car soft over harsh bumps and rough surfaces while the low speed valves keep it stiff around bends. 

Hi all

Recently sold my 987 Cayman S and bought a 997.1 Turbo.  Loving the torque and explosive acceleration.  

Might be an unpopular view here, but compared to the Cayman S I find the handling a bit soft. 

Has anyone out there undertaken any mods to improve handling feel - whether that be suspension related, or other solutions?

Be great to hear from you all. 

Cheers!

Dave

If you have PASM, Get a DSC Controller

http://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#997

My two cents from someone who swaps from the sharpest non GT Cayman the R and a 997 TurboS.

Before going to far down the mod path you may want to look at your driving style. The 997.1 Turbo is a bit soft but no worse than any standard street Porsche. It is easy to go from a Turbo or 911 in general to a Cayman. You will under drive the Cayman but after a while you will get used to its ability to change lines and its forgiving nature. Jump back in the 911 and the first thing you will notice is the weight out the back and the detrimental effect it has. No matter what you do the 911 will always be different to a Cayman (or anything else) and require a different driving style but that is what makes a 911 a 911.

Hi.  Thanks for comments.  I'm a Porsche tragic (like you all) and for me the poster car of my youth was the 911 Turbo.  Couldn't be happier with the step up in engine performance and comfort.  Just keen over time to get a bit more feel to the driving experience beyond the exhilaration of massive torque and explosive speed.

In answer to bear924 the key points of difference I noticed between the 997 turbo and my 987 Cayman S are:

• Cayman is linear in its power delivery rather than explosive (might have something to do with the twin turbos on the 997 me thinks!!!)
  • Cayman is just so beautifully balanced and intuitive to drive (you feel everything through your feet, bum and fingers and can adjust accordingly)
  • Cayman is definitely more forgiving and exaggerates driver competence, the Turbo demands respect given its power and rear end weight distribution
  • Turbo is significantly more comfortable to drive and live with day to day (although Cayman has more functional luggage space with front and rear trunk)

I consider myself very lucky to have experienced both driving experiences and reckon with a few suspension tweaks I'll push the Turbo to the next level.  At the end of the day as someone said above, it's all down to driving style and preference.  What works for me may not be what works for someone else.  Great to have a little project to deepen your understanding and appreciation of your Porsche!!!

Thanks all!

Dave

Archived