Pollen filter replacement at the next service, is it worth replacing it?

Just booked the car in for it's annual service and PCB suggested that i replace the Pollen Filter.  Seems like I would breath in a lot of pollen anyway when the top is down, so what's the view? Is the $300+ for the filter worth it?  I initially said yes install it but I am having second thoughts.  Opinions please.....

Personally I do it every year and do it myself since it's so cheap to do and I put a decent amount of km's on my car, I haven't clocked up a year with the Boxster yet for the annual service so haven't done it yet.

I replace Pollen filters myself half because it's so simple to do and half because I enjoy asking to see the dirty filter when they tell me mine is dirty a day after I put a brand new one in.

As I said I haven't replaced mine and not sure if there are any RHD/LHD difference but here are a couple of links for the 981:

Instructions - http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/981_Cabin_Air_Filters.html

Buy Filters - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK991POL.html

Seems like I would breath in a lot of pollen anyway when the top is down, so what's the view

does it come with a headband to strap it to your face when the top is down?  ?

It's not so much the pollen as dust. Cabin filter is a better name for it. If it cakes up with dust it will likely compromise the fan speed and put stress on the blower resistor.

Repco will have one if you take yours in. Probably $30.

Pollen filter is a fancy name for AC intake filter.   As noted already it is there to keep dust out of the fan motor and evaporator and piping.  You wouldn't skimp on the engine air filter so not with the AC system filter. A build up of dust cakes the fan as well as the Evap and can absorb moisture leading to rust leading to evaporator failure leading to a very expensive repair.

however paying $300 is straight up highway robbery.  Order one yourself and fit it yourself.  A very simple job.  You should get out of it for less than $50.

pretty sure they're about $12 as a generic brand, and about $24 as an OEM. On a Cayenne it's a 2 minute job and 1 screw under the glovebox - I'd assume it'd be the same on a 911 (but maybe a bit more complex) It helps stop mold from forming in your air conditioning too, as well as making the car smell better.

As everyone has said it's a good money earner for car dealerships, along with on car fuel injector cleaning

Archived