Porsche / BMW Challenge SMSP

mik968CS

Hi all . Im new to the forum and own a 1994 968CS. Last weekend was the annual Porsche / BMW super sprint at SMSP. The 968 is as it left the factory in September 1994 and delivered to Porsche Willoughby  Center in Feb 95. Next to me in the pits was a stock 2004 E46 M3 with Rspecs and he had wheel spacers  get more front camber. The  968 CS (17 Cup 2 rims with Nitto R specs) was two seconds a lap faster and the nice young guy in the BM said he was pushing hard.Remember this is stock, no fancy camber plates or rear torsion bar delete with coil overs, power chips or close ratio box etc, etc .How good is a stock Porsche 968CS. Bloody fantastic considering its  23 years old. 

Welcome mik,

Yes, great handling car. I beat up M3's at track sessions and are asked by their drivers "do you get under steer at turn 1" - my reply "what's under steer ?"

Just can't drive mine enough. Looking forward to photo.

Cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well done. Yes, they are a fun car and shows how efficient the old chassis were. They're still setup for understeer at the limit from the factory but in general a very well balanced car. We were meant to be there and would have comfortably been the fastest car on the day by a large margin looking at the times. I wondered if there was rain or some oil downs? Not bad for a slightly warmed 944. Hopefully next time. Enjoy your car for what it is. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

You could probably argue the 6 speed box of the 968 is a close ratio box but, lets face it...a BMW is not a Porsche!

I'm looking forward to getting mine out on a track at some stage soon.

No doubt the slippery slope of making it go faster will be encountered soon!

We run a 968 box in our 944. Perhaps it just has some unseen problems but I've never liked it as much as the old 5 speed (fitted with shorter final drive via S2 ring & pinion). Some people seem to like the 6 speed. Ours was reconditioned and has extra cooling and other mods so it shouldn't be the case of it being in a state of disrepair.

The Porsches are always faster than the BMW's every year although the handicapping rules seem to give them the advantage.

Archived