The Porsche Market in Australia

Hi guys, just wanted to know if anyone can provide me with some estimates ?

How many Porsche dealers are there in Australia? (not just Porsche Australia (that I can google), I am also thinking about dealers such as RSR, AutoHaus Hamilton etc. Was hoping could pull this out of Carsales but no dice. 

How big is the market?

How big is the private seller market?

What is your favourite platform for buying/selling ?  Mine, carsales.. but I really I think you get better deals for forums. What are your thoughts?

And finally, with the appropriate care measures, insurances etc, would you ever let someone else drive your Porsche in an organised, controlled group session? 

are you researching a business idea?

and what troubleshooter said the market is pretty small (I've seen it from both sides) for private seller cars - I assume the new car market is bigger though (and in turn that'll eventually trickle down to the second-hand market if it already hasn't with the volume Porsche produces after the 996/986

not gumtree

I've let quite a few people drive my cars, but friends and people I actually know - not sure how I'd go letting any old random person drive it (unless they had a classic car/Porsche of their own)

9 hours ago, k0nz said:

And finally, with the appropriate care measures, insurances etc, would you ever let someone else drive your Porsche in an organised, controlled group session? 

I don't mind handing my keys to people I know who I know won't do anything stupid. But there's no way I'd make my cars available for general consumption, even under organised, insured, controlled conditions.

What he said ^ Buggered if I'd let someone I don't know drive mine

Also a tough gig selling these things I reckon, unless ofcourse you can sit on a car or 3 for a while and not expect to make a fortune on it/them

6 hours ago, k0nz said:

This looks amazing, nothing like this in WA tho.. :)

Happy to have a chat if you'd like to call.  Short story is...make your money elsewhere & look at it as a way to expand a hobby..   I basically do the same thing I'd be doing anyway, only with a wider variety of cars & more often,  that pretty much covers itself financially (pretty much...).  We've had a couple of clients visit from WA & they've both gone back home thinking about setting up something similar.

The smarter model (in terms of financial return) is to buy a couple of boxsters (50 - 80k outlay) and market them for about 2/3 of the price we do.  There are a couple of operators over here around Sydney that do that (both nice people & worth talking to if you you're in the mood for the Boxster type of model).  The other advantage of the Boxster model is that insurance is a much easier task.  Expect to find insurance a new challenge every year, regardless of the model you pursue.

Disregard all of the above if you can find a way to use other peoples cars (which is what other 'supercar' focussed operators do over here).  We use our own vehicles and while it's not the best financial path it's the one I wanted to pursue for other reasons.

Archived