Use of Carerra name???

TwoHeadsTas

I'm sure there will be some legal eagles here.  If I was to start a business (totally non automotive or Porsche related), is there any Copyright or design registration or similar  preventing me having a business name that incorporates "Carerra" in it??  Having a look on the ABR there appears to be a number of businesses incorporating Carerra in their name, so I'm thinking it is probably OK, providing I didn't use the script in any logo or graphics.

Thoughts????

cheers

Peter

28 minutes ago, Russ said:

are you worried the sunglasses company or the Carrera Panamericana might come after you?

Nah - Porsche (hadn't thought about the sunglasses btw).  But your comment probably goes to say that the name is used in many other ways that necessarily just being associated with Porsche, so I'm probably OK

yeah i think you'll be fine - I think Porsche used the name after the Mexican race so I don't think they have it copywritten anyway (and according to google it's spanish for race career so it probably can't be copywritten)

Go have a search at ipaustralia depending on the class, there are a few Carrera registrations, the sunnies, glasses, goggles brand the most prevalent.

Registration number 1223031 for Motor vehicles, namely sports cars. Class 12. Seems like first registered in 2007?

Owner some bloke  - Dr. Ing. h.c.F.Porsche Aktiengesellschaft

17 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

Doesn't take much to fool the eye anyway

Rosche_6001.jpg

yeah, there's also a hand air dryer using the script, I think that goes under Rorche.  I wondered how they would get away with that, I would have thought that the font would have been design registered too.

Also helps if I spell Carrera right too.  Doh!!

9 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

yeah, there's also a hand air dryer using the script, I think that goes under Rorche.  I wondered how they would get away with that, I would have thought that the font would have been design registered too.

You can make tiny digital changes to a font without it being classified plagiarism.
It may piss off porsche , but they probably stock this in their executive pissers!

http://www.roschepaper.com.au/ProductsAFH/Hygiene.aspx

when you register a business or company you have to ensure that the name isn't already in use or too similar to an existing one.

the following are porsche trademarks according to the porsche australia web site. they could come after you if they felt it was impacting their business or potentially confusing customers. if it's totally non car related and not competing with any of their non-car related elements of their business (finance, design, clothing, etc) you'd probably be ok. 

PORSCHE - PORSCHE CREST - PORSCHE DESIGN - CARRERA - TARGA - TIPTRONIC - PORSCHE SPEEDSTER - MACAN - VARIORAM - CVTIP - VARIOCAM - BOXSTER - CAYENNE - CAYMAN - PANAMERA - TEQUIPMENT - VARRERA - PCM - RS - 4S - PAN AMERICANA - TECHNORAD - PORSCHE BIKE S - PORSCHE BIKE FS - P AND DESIGN - 911 - SPYDER - 356 - 959, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.

Archived