Sea Sucker Roof Carrier

DS911

I'm looking for a solution to carry my bike on my 991 (occasional use so It needs to be easily and safely removed) .  Has anyone got any experience with the Sea Suckers or other system?  I can get the Porsche roof rack system but thought the Sea Suckers might be a better solution.

I rang a local roof rack shop (Roof Carrier Systems in Camberwell, Vic) and the guy there wasn't excited about a suction cup system at all.  He said they refused to stock them.

I'm looking for a solution to carry my bike on my 991 (occasional use so It needs to be easily and safely removed) .  Has anyone got any experience with the Sea Suckers or other system?  I can get the Porsche roof rack system but thought the Sea Suckers might be a better solution.
I rang a local roof rack shop (Roof Carrier Systems in Camberwell, Vic) and the guy there wasn't excited about a suction cup system at all.  He said they refused to stock them.

I haven’t used these but am considering them. I have mates that have used them and are very happy. The suction is via vacuum and apparently very strong and doesn’t cause any damage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got and use both. 

Sea Suckers; Pro, non permanent, just keep them in the boot and put on/off as required. Cons, I wont install on a dirty car so it needs to be wiped etc. to avoid scratches. You also have to remove a wheel off the bike, not a big deal but you may struggle to fit it onto the boot of a 991.

I ran it on a 911 including an energetic trip up Mt Buller with an MTB on the roof. No issues. 

I also have Thule systems on 2 of my cars and they are my pick of any bike roof carrier system. They are however expensive and more of a permanent system, I use them at least 2-3 times a week so that's fine. Sea Sucker for the odd day/weekend trip though is a good alternative.  

1 of the suction cups is supposedly rated up to 180kg's, a mini bomber (can carry up to 2 bikes) has 4 on the front alone + 1 for each of the rear wheels. A issue would be more likely as a result of not securing the bike to the rack properly than the rack letting go from the car. 

If left on the roof for extended periods of time they have been known to warp the roof. That's how strong they are. :unsure::blink:

Ideal if you have a glass sunroof as then there is no paintwork involved for securing. Place the front mount on the sunroof and the rear will sit on your back window. 

Thanks for the comments.

I have a couple of Thule bike carriers already so can use these with the Porsche system if I go down that path.  I feel like that is a more secure system and can cope with the roof being opened accidentally.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...