Engine Mounts.

Pokiou

3 hours ago, Pokiou said:

Lets talk engine mounts. I'm due to change mine and i'm reading alot different things about aftermarket and stock ones. 

What mount do you guys have and why?

I changed my 996 C2 engine mounts as they were shagged, i got some oem turbo engine mounts from Autohaus... slightly firmer apparently 

Looked at the RSS Engine Mounts for mine but hesitant in changing something which is still working fine.  In the Porsche forums around, there is about a 50/50 chance you will like them or hate them.  Main complaint is cabin vibration.  

10 hours ago, Pokiou said:

Lets talk engine mounts. I'm due to change mine and i'm reading alot different things about aftermarket and stock ones. 

What mount do you guys have and why?

Do engine and tranny mounts at the same time.   Not sure if any different than a 996tt, but i did lots of research.  Stick to factory assuming they fit.   E.g. 997 tranny mounts and 964 rs semi solid engine mounts  with specific factory  bolts nuts and washers that need to be  installed in certain order.

Why, I reckon factory engineers have bigger budgets and Porsche have  better  QA in manufacturing that any after market suppliers.   Tried and proven on a shed load more cars than any after market supplier.  Heard poly bushes are very stiff and transmit a bit of vibration through the drivetrain.   Poly aint exactly a new material and would of thought if Porsche saw value in it it would be on a 997.   I want something a bit stiffer than stock but not solid.   Hence 964rs semi solid.   Two 996tt  tuners I spoke to recommended forget aftermarket and run with those factory mounts.  

I replaced mine with stock OEM, felt no need on a road car to go with anything different. I'm also very happy with the stock Bilstein's and bushings, maybe a I just don't know any different.

There can be NHV from semi-solid engine mounts, one engine builder in the US says the extra vibration can lead to the knock sensors going off.

There are two main brands from the US that are the most popular: RSS and WEVO

FunctionFirst also offer a semi-solid engine mount where they inject a mould into standard engine mounts to give a true "semi-solid" feel.

Transmission mount on the 996 is difficult to do - not even PCM wanted to do mine for me without dropping the trans even then they said no one there had ever done one. I'm planning on installing the transmission inserts - haven't decided which brand yet.

@Pokiou buy me lunch and ill help you swap them out :D  

• 1 month later...

So my lovely mechanic at Wessiach in melbourne did awhole lot of work for me last week. Started with a new exhaust Tubi Style "R" for the 996 but more interestingly was the engine mounts.

Both engine mounts had completely failed. By failed i mean the rubbers had been stretched 2inchs or more from the where they were supposed to be. When we put the new ones in, the engine mount bolt didnt make it through all the way, so we had to jack the engine up 2 or so more inches to get it to stud through so we can put the bolt on. 

I ended up using the 996 turbo mount which are a direct fit but give a more firm feel than the stock one. Doing this has improved the following.

1 - Clutch pedal feels lighter... A LOT lighter thank god..
2 - Shifting between gears is so much smoother but i have a short shift and its a little notchyh. (i dont like it)
3 - The rear end of the car feels so much more firmer and controllable.

Well worth the semi upgrade!!! it's made my car feel alot smoother in the drive train area!.

21 hours ago, Pokiou said:

So my lovely mechanic at Wessiach in melbourne did awhole lot of work for me last week. Started with a new exhaust Tubi Style "R" for the 996 but more interestingly was the engine mounts.

Both engine mounts had completely failed. By failed i mean the rubbers had been stretched 2inchs or more from the where they were supposed to be. When we put the new ones in, the engine mount bolt didnt make it through all the way, so we had to jack the engine up 2 or so more inches to get it to stud through so we can put the bolt on. 

I ended up using the 996 turbo mount which are a direct fit but give a more firm feel than the stock one. Doing this has improved the following.

1 - Clutch pedal feels lighter... A LOT lighter thank god..
2 - Shifting between gears is so much smoother but i have a short shift and its a little notchyh. (i dont like it)
3 - The rear end of the car feels so much more firmer and controllable.

Well worth the semi upgrade!!! it's made my car feel alot smoother in the drive train area!.

I've been thinking of doing mine - do you have a part number for the Turbo mounts / where you sourced them?

Cheers - Jim.

I put RSS mounts in my car and love them, but I do think if you're not trying to effect a handling change of some sort then it's best to stick to OEM stuff. No perceptible change to NVH but my car does lots of NVHs in the first place so...

6 minutes ago, Kammo said:

I put RSS mounts in my car and love them, but I do think if you're not trying to effect a handling change of some sort then it's best to stick to OEM stuff. No perceptible change to NVH but my car does lots of NVHs in the first place so...

Been wanting to get either a pair of RSS or WEVO engine mounts. Although genuine RS mounts might be an option too.

18 hours ago, Jim45 said:

I've been thinking of doing mine - do you have a part number for the Turbo mounts / where you sourced them?

Cheers - Jim.

Hey Jim,

I ordered these: http://www.masterparts.com.au/p/5674520/turbo-engine-mount-993-375-049-09.html

The delivery was super fast and they stock parts. even my mechanic was amazed at the price.

Well worth doing the engine mounts, it's made the car less... wobbly at the rear.

3 hours ago, Pokiou said:

Hey Jim,

I ordered these: http://www.masterparts.com.au/p/5674520/turbo-engine-mount-993-375-049-09.html

The delivery was super fast and they stock parts. even my mechanic was amazed at the price.

Well worth doing the engine mounts, it's made the car less... wobbly at the rear.

Cheers - will need to check they fit a .2

Jim.

Archived