Newbie in Sydney

Hi everyone! I am new to both the forum and Porche cars (misses dad has a 911 996 back in the uk, does that count as experience?)

I usually have some form of interesting cars, my most fav was a ‘99 Supra twin turbo in near immaculate factory form (no Stupid body kits and exhausts). But recently I was given a company car and thought I could enjoy the money being saved... I was wrong. I am now looking at something to keep in the garage for a bit of fun.

i am looking at Boxster S 986 range, purely because they offer all I need for a blast in the twistys, sound great, I have never owned a convertible and lastely they are priced very well for what they provide!

This is probably a bit of a strange question to ask but is there any nice owners of a Boxster S 986 that would like to show me their car and take me for a spin? The owner of this car is an old retired man and I can’t get a feel for the car dialled into ‘fun’ setting while I test drove it.

Hopefully I can show you pictures soon ?

Colin

Welcome to the forum ...Just to help you make a good decision, Colin....Good luck with your hunt, I used to have a 986S Tiptronic.

Great choice of car.   The thing that comes out of this little clip is...make sure you get a PPI done before forking out the dollars.

Don't own a boxster sorry however agree they are fabulous bang for your buck. Boxster 986s won PCOTY in 99 and ... I think 02, beating a GT3 and GT2 in the process.

It is really difficult to get a feel for a car prior to purchase. You can test drive them, however until you get one and go for a long, uninterrupted drive it's impossible to really know. Coming from the Supra, I imagine the Boxster might feel a little low in the power department. If you are mentally able to handle that, I'm not sure being driven around in someone else's car will help you that much. Do spend the $ to get a PPI done though, no Pcars are inexpensive to put right and can tarnish the whole ownership experience.

20 minutes ago, bear924 said:

Don't own a boxster sorry however agree they are fabulous bang for your buck. Boxster 986s won PCOTY in 99 and ... I think 02, beating a GT3 and GT2 in the process.

It is really difficult to get a feel for a car prior to purchase. You can test drive them, however until you get one and go for a long, uninterrupted drive it's impossible to really know. Coming from the Supra, I imagine the Boxster might feel a little low in the power department. If you are mentally able to handle that, I'm not sure being driven around in someone else's car will help you that much. Do spend the $ to get a PPI done though, no Pcars are inexpensive to put right and can tarnish the whole ownership experience.

Boxster won 1998 PCOTY and Boxster S won 2000 PCOTY.

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Welcome to the forum ...Just to help you make a good decision, Colin....Good luck with your hunt, I used to have a 986S Tiptronic.

Great choice of car.   The thing that comes out of this little clip is...make sure you get a PPI done before forking out the dollars.

Don't think I'd be going to this guy for a PPI though......

We have a 2005 1st Gen 987 Boxster S (6sp, 3.2l) and it's been a great car - it's been my wife's daily drive for nearly 4 1/2 years, very very happy with it, very reliable and I really enjoy driving it when I can.  I got a 996 just before Christmas, but still rate the 987 over the 996 if you're on a nice, tight, twisty bit of road ?  Novated lease ends this December, and it's highly likely we'll keep it. It's got 130kms on it the moment, we will look to do the IMS when the clutch needs replacing as a precaution

Thanks for the replies, yeah it’s very tough to get a feel for the car in calm test drive with the current owner. I just wanted to know what it was like when opened up. I appreciate its strengths, knowing full well it won’t have anywhere near the shear force of the Supra. But after all, I could only go so fast in that before it got too dangerous.

I most certainly will get a PPI if I decide to grab it. It has had some expensive repairs done in the last few years. One being the transmission:

cone ring, syncro ring, 2nd gear, drive flange seal - transmission, guide sleave 1st/2nd.

caster arm repair, drive shaft boots.

does the above strike you as an abused car (doesn’t look it cosmetically)

has had major service, full ceramic IMS and RMS done recently.

We have unofficially agreed on a price I think is very good...

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2002/SSE-AD-5410499

WHOA THERE.....BACK UP THE TRUCK......

.....what is that canister in the rear boot with a gauge....:Speechless:

how long has the current retired owner had the car?

YOU NEED MORE HISTORY ON THAT ONE......

price is very top dollar, hopefully your doing it at a much better price.

i would strongly advise you have a very very good think on that one...

sorry to put a damper on it

40 minutes ago, Niko said:

WHOA THERE.....BACK UP THE TRUCK......

.....what is that canister in the rear boot with a gauge....:Speechless:

YOU NEED MORE HISTORY ON THAT ONE......

That's the Canton Oil Accumulator.  It's in the "Seller's Comment"

"To avoid wear on cold start and oil feed issues after standing a "Canton Oil Accumulater" has been fitted , providing an extra 3 litres of oil capacity, which is pressurised at start up to prevent oil not being in the galleries after a period of non use, also fitted an adapter to use a standard oil filter."

The car, being so close to Newcastle/Wyong, may be worth giving Autowerks a call.  They may know the car.

59 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Me either, so looked up their website.

http://www.accusump.com/

phew, thank Good for that, I thought I must have to start getting out more.

I'll check it out..

Just checked it out.   Mmmmmmm:Confused02:

As long as Colin gets a good PPI done, he can't go far wrong......And your suggestion re AUTOWERKS definitely worth a phone call...

19 hours ago, Daly87 said:

Thanks for the replies, yeah it’s very tough to get a feel for the car in calm test drive with the current owner. I just wanted to know what it was like when opened up. I appreciate its strengths, knowing full well it won’t have anywhere near the shear force of the Supra. But after all, I could only go so fast in that before it got too dangerous.

I most certainly will get a PPI if I decide to grab it. It has had some expensive repairs done in the last few years. One being the transmission:

cone ring, syncro ring, 2nd gear, drive flange seal - transmission, guide sleave 1st/2nd.

caster arm repair, drive shaft boots.

does the above strike you as an abused car (doesn’t look it cosmetically)

has had major service, full ceramic IMS and RMS done recently.

We have unofficially agreed on a price I think is very good...

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2002/SSE-AD-5410499

Daly, they're a good thing!  A really good thing ....where are you located? You can come and thrash one of mine if you're near the Gold Coast over the next week or take my other one for a hard spin in Melbourne late May ....

Thanks guys.

I gave autowerks a call, he didn't know it but was such a helpful guy in having a chat about the car ( PR Technology are the ones who did all the work on the transmission and castor arms etc)

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Daly, they're a good thing!  A really good thing ....where are you located? You can come and thrash one of mine if you're near the Gold Coast over the next week or take my other one for a hard spin in Melbourne late May ....

I am located in Sydney, sadly just come back from the Gold Coast! The next trip I am up, and if I haven't purchased one by then, I will gladly buy you a drink for your time to show me your motor!

PR technology who did the work today confirmed that the work performed was all good things, and not from abusive driving.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Thanks guys.

I gave autowerks a call, he didn't know it but was such a helpful guy in having a chat about the car ( PR Technology are the ones who did all the work on the transmission and castor arms etc)

I am located in Sydney, sadly just come back from the Gold Coast! The next trip I am up, and if I haven't purchased one by then, I will gladly buy you a drink for your time to show me your motor!

PR technology who did the work today confirmed that the work performed was all good things, and not from abusive driving.

Thanks!

If you're after a PPI on that (North) side of Sydney I'd recommend Autohaus Hamilton.  We got both our cars from them and they're good guys. 

Archived