Someone make me an offer!

Elliott

Guest Nick987

Like I mentioned earlier this is the BEST 911 convertible on the market. Please see link below.

I would love to get some feedback...

http://www.carsales....ck&sort=default

Feedback = Err post this in the 'for sale' section?

Oh wait, you already have.

I have been on this forum a while and am not aware of anyone looking for a C4 Cab to buy. People here that do want to buy and are looking usually are looking for a while and get known to the 'regulars', so if you haven't received any response yet indicates no one here is looking at the moment.

Some folks here have been looking for over a month. Weeks. Months, I have even heard years thrown around. They test drive ALOT of cars, ask around alot, compare notes, research intensively.

The fact that you have posted that your car is for sale in 3 separate places within a week on the forum, and again now to appear in the 'recent topics' again, and you are openly inviting offers suggests to me you are 'highly motivated' to sell. Some may call it 'desperate'.

On carsales you match your price with a similar car with almost twice the k's. That is keen!

If I were looking for your model in your colour, I would wait and see how keen you got to sell.

I have a feeling that selling a car of your calibre and price won't happen overnight and might take some time. I would suggest appearing less eager.

And I always find all encompassing statements like 'the best' to insult my intelligence. The best of what? The best price? There are cheaper. The best condition? There is a 'better' car in my eyes (colour, options, k's, roof etc) with about 6000kms for sale right now at a higher price but not that much more. The best colour? That is subjective. The best convertible? Again, for whom? And WHY is it the best?

So the statement, although possibly true, comes across to me as a little desperate and begs for evidence that isn't provided.

The statement draws attention in all the wrong ways and leaves too many doubts in it's wake.

Something like 'the best price for the k's or 'the best value' or 'best bang for your buck' would make more sense to me and invite me to think 'yeah, look, low k's, good nick, nice options, great price compared with others going at the moment', GOOD VALUE!

But just 'the best' challenges me to look for better and then doubt your authenticity when I find something.

Eg...

Why is yours better than this one?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-carrera-2004-13158639?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=3&eapi=2&__N=1216+1246+1247+1252+1282&num=15&silo=Stock&items=[Make:PORSCHE,Model:911%20CARRERA,Series:996%20MY04,BaseEnabledBadge:CABRIO%204S]&sort=default

Guest Nick987

And I apologise in advance if my feedback has been overly direct and this has caused any offence in any way.

This was not my intention.

Best of luck with your sale. Looks like a great car and deal.

Pretty harsh Nick. The comparison car is $30k more...

It looks like a great car, but i really question why you would want to have a personalised plate saying Turbo, when the car is not a turbo? I would be surprised if a potential purchaser would want the plates.

The issue selling a car with such low kms and a relatively high price for the year / model, is that you are getting close to competing with a 997 at the advertised price. Although similar mechanically, the interior and exterior IMO of the 997 is much improved. I experienced this selling my last car, which was a mint condition and lowest kms in Australia vehicle. At the end of the day the market drags down the value, regardless of condition or kms.

Good luck with sale.

Thanks for the feedback Nick although I must admit it was a little unexpected .. And yes the car is not a Turbo, the plates came off my previous Porsche which was a Cayenne Turbo.

I have had the car on the market for almost 6 months and have only had tyre kickers come to the party. When I first listed my Porsche I put it on the market for $110,000. Now I am being realistic and hoping someone will make me a reasonable offer.

Does anyone know of any good auto trader magazines?

It's a tough market Elliot. I'm with Teknostar on this one. The 997 is the choice vehicle at near your price.

It is a real shame that the brand is depreciating at the rate it is.

I think if you buy a "mainstream" Porsche today you better be ready to cop a massive loss over a few years.

Have you tried PCV QLD website. Unique Cars mag. No question Carsales is choice.

Errrmm yeah Nick I think your response was quite direct :(

Possibly, in part, as a result of irritation of the ad being placed 'for sale in 3 separate places within a week on the forum'. Elliott I would have to agree that this is excessive.

IMHO carsales is probably the broadest 'read' car selling medium. On pricing, I think the market tells the story although this is sometimes hard to accept.

This has been discussed before on the forum. Many 'Premium' brands are selling new cars in higher volumes these days, and also selling a greater range of product. As this greater volume of new car sales eventually turns up on the 'used' car market the increased supply side in going to result in downward pressure on values. This is the unfortunate truth for many brands that previously held strong resale values.

To be honest, i think your about 15-20k over the mark in terms of price.

Yes your car looks to be in fantastic condition, low km's, probably a rare car in that colour etc but the fact is, you can buy a Turbo for that money! I know what i would rather have and that is probably why you are getting no interest.

There is a 997 Carrera S coupe in black with 19" wheels etc for the same money as your car at Lorbek, i know what i would rather have!!

Sad fact is, 996's are not hugely popular at the moment.

And i think that is why your car has not sold, for 90k there are just way too many other options out there that are more appealing to buyers.

Guest Nick987

Thanks for the tips guys... I will no doubt take them into consideration.

And another question, what is the true value of a 04 C4S convertible with low k's?

True value is what the buyer is prepared to pay on the day.

Any other price is speculative.

The question is how quickly do you need to sell it? That will determine the amount you drop the price by.

This will surely fall into the realm of "bitter pill" feedback:

When something doesn't sell, there is only one reason: it's too expensive.

The seller's sale price may be the value that he places on the item (car, house, painting, navel lint...whatever), and he may not be prepared to sell the item for less. In which case the item won't sell.

Everything has a price at which it will find a buyer. If the seller is not prepared to drop the price to that level - and he may have valid reasons why he won't - he is effectively saying that the item is subjectively worth more to him than the market price.

I always knew studying economics would be good for something one day.

(I'm pretty sure there should be no danger, but just for certainty's sake, none of the above is to be construed as barbed personal comment.)

Hugh, I dont think anyone was trying to be harsh or unfriendly.

Nick has a good track record for being a good guy.

Its the problem with the typed word, its hard to show the spirit of what you say.

Anyhow, good luck with the sale, Elliot. :)

All the comments above have been well contributed and each one of them totally valid.

I feel compelled to comment on some of what has been said or interpreted regarding Nick's posts.

Let me preface my rant with my understanding of Nick.

He is incredibly passionate about all things Porsche and the enjoyment the marque brings to him and members of this community.

He is extremely generous in his time, opinion and support within this community and outside of it.

And.............he says it as it is. (Maybe we both suffer the same affliction).

Elliot is obviously very passionate and fastidious when it comes to his car.

Unfortunately the value he sees in it is not reflected in the marketplace and it's a real pity because the car is very well presented with what I'm sure is a good history.

All Nick has done is give him the facts as any potential purchaser would look at it. Doesn't matter how great you think your car is, if others don't see the value, it's going to be tough to sell.

So put yourself in Elliot's position. Would you want a "warm and fuzzy" answer and continue wondering why you haven't got a buyer of would you prefer to "be told".

Now, I just wonder how Nick would have answered the question if Elliot had been a longer standing member of this forum and not joined "coincidentally" with a first post trying to sell his car.

Maybe with a little more "tact"? Allow me to say my response was very subtle in comparison because Elliot probably had the answer he needed already!

Nick, maybe you should "sugar coat" things a little next time so us big boys don't get our nose out of joint.

Guest Nick987

Hugh, Douglas and Teknostar, got it. More 'easy' next time.

J.J. Agreed.

Vas, Theo, thanks for your support and kind words.

James - pure class, as always.

Elliot, I was going to say 'you have already posted already' then thought long and hard about your post.

Went out on a limb to be forthright and direct in order to genuinely assist, not to flip you the bird.

I really hope you sell your car, it looks fantastic and you deserve to get a fair price for all the effort you have put into maintaining it. Takes alot of respect for machinery to keep a car in that condition. I know there are buyers out there that recognise and value this. Hang in there.

No hard feelings. Best of luck.

Vas? Leaved at that.

Again thank you for the support and thanks Langeheck for the kind words!

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me... Through word of mouth a potential buyer is having a look at the car tomorrow morning.

I will keep you all posted wish me luck!!!!

Also does anyone know were the compliance plate on a 996 is located?

Elliot,

the "build date"plate is in the boot (front) on the right hand side, you have to peel back the boot liner (it's not stuck on, just ease it away from the inner guard). I think the compliance is in the same spot on the left.

Just some feed back on price, i traded an immaculate Yr 2000, 996 manual coupe with 42,000klms ( i paid $72K for it 18 months earlier) on a new 997.2 Carrera 4 & got $55K as a trade. The dealer wholesaled it for $55K, the guy who bought it rang me for a history check after he bought it, i asked him what he paid before i told him what trade i got. This was in early 2011. Used cars have never been cheaper, i have 40 company cars & am buying used cars for the same money now as what i did 2-3years ago.

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks for all your feedback guys! I really appreciate it.

To answer your questions Nick I would like to sell the Porsche as soon as possible. I am now just going to wait until someone will make me an offer.

Good look with the potential sale Elliott.

If that doesn't go ahead.. I'd say maybe drop the price down.. especially if you are open to offers. If I wanted a 996 and could spend say $75k and you'd accept that but I saw yours priced at $89k.. we'd never talk as I'd assume there's no way you'd drop the price that much.

I hope that makes sense?

And Nick is right, there's a buyer out there that will love and respect what care you've taken with your car. But you've got to price it right to get them to come look at it first :)

Good luck Elliott!

Archived