WTB - 84-85 Carrera coupe

galah66

Time has come to buy another car. Must be an 84-85 model and coupe only. Looking at only OZ delivered and below 160,000km's in excellent condition. If you have a car or know of someone selling i would be grateful for any leads!! 

Cheers - Rob

• 1 month later...
On 19/12/2018 at 19:40, galah66 said:

Time has come to buy another car. Must be an 84-85 model and coupe only. Looking at only OZ delivered and below 160,000km's in excellent condition. If you have a car or know of someone selling i would be grateful for any leads!! 

Cheers - Rob

Rob, fellow club member in Tas has an 88 for sale, 90000kms.  No idea what price, let me know if interested and I'll send you contact details.  Whoops, just read that it was HK delivered so that probably puts it out of consideration...

What's with the specific year requirement Rob, are you chasing the 231bhp engine, I thought it was the same from 84-86 but could be wrong?

Is there anything else about the 84-85 that is making you only consider the two years?

1986 but 217km - https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-5874181/?gts=SSE-AD-5874181&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-5874181&rankingType=Spotlight

1985 at 141km - https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1985/SSE-AD-5784953/?Cr=0

1985 but 234km - https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1985/SSE-AD-5845637/?Cr=4    Not sure why this guy says last of the leaded as I have always run premium unleaded in my 85

1 hour ago, Stepo said:

Not sure why this guy says last of the leaded as I have always run premium unleaded in my 85

Last of the leaded is referring to the 231HP motor. When we went to unleaded in Australia they detuned the motor to cope for our poor fuel quality hence the lower HP... I run BP98 unleaded in my Australia delivered 84 too! B)

Mine is Australian delivered and current now at 184,500km so too many km for Rob... But will also never be for sale anyway.

Yes correct 84-85 was the 231hp engine. Probably not a noticeable difference unless you are a race driver!

10 hours ago, Carrera86 said:

Did you find one ?

Not yet - No urgent hurry just waiting for the right car to become available 

2 hours ago, Stepo said:

Are they actually selling at or close to these advertised prices?

2 hours ago, galah66 said:

Yes correct 84-85 was the 231hp engine. Probably not a noticeable difference unless you are a race driver!

So why is it you’ve ruled out 86-89 and everyone says the G50 box is so much better, you’ll get less k’s on the later cars

2 hours ago, Dalai said:

According to a previous topic, 86 Australian Delivered Carrera's dropped to 207HP.

I remember the topic now, I actually posted a comment, was worried about the fuel I was using at the time

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Are they actually selling at or close to these advertised prices?

Probably at the high end, but they were the only three I could find that nearly met the criteria. I suppose if that’s what you’re looking for then they are the numbers you’ll need to start negotiating at

I sold my 231hp ‘last of the leaded’ ‘85 Carrera just over 10 years ago.  Guards red, dark blue interior, aussie-delivered, full known history, A1 cond ....... dumbest decision I’ve ever made!  Not just  because I have watched prices triple or even quadruple, I just miss her!!  

The 915 box was a bit agricultural compared to the later G50’s, but that was all part of the experience.

So @galah66 I totally get why you’re chasing one. In fact I’d love to track my old one done one day.

35 minutes ago, Stepo said:

So why is it you’ve ruled out 86-89 and everyone says the 915 box is so much better, you’ll get less k’s on the later cars

I remember the topic now, I actually posted a comment, was worried about the fuel I was using at the time

Probably at the high end, but they were the only three I could find that nearly met the criteria. I suppose if that’s what you’re looking for then they are the numbers you’ll need to start negotiating at

I already have a late model SC which is 205 Hp. The 84-85 model is my preference as they were the two years that had the 231hp engine and the later models 86-89 are too close to what i already have IMO. Not to say i wouldn't consider one but just my preference! 

19 minutes ago, galah66 said:

I already have a late model SC which is 205 Hp. The 84-85 model is my preference as they were the two years that had the 231hp engine and the later models 86-89 are too close to what i already have IMO. Not to say i wouldn't consider one but just my preference! 

Good luck with your hunting, I wouldn’t rule out a few extra k’s if the service history is there and you get your preferred colour and interior.

My 85 3.2 has done 260k, I’ve put on 10k per year since I’ve had it and it pulls like train, no oil leaks and doesn’t blow smoke. The engine hasn’t been rebuilt, just minor service every 10k and major every second 10k, the car has never let me down. I’ve noticed slight differences on SMTs chasing SCs and the 86-89 3.2s but not much in it.

I hope the right car turns up for you soon, in reality pricing should probably be coming down given the state of the economy, property softening and tightening of lending.

Archived