Splashin the boots!

edgy

Hi, 

We recently acquired a 97 986 Boxster, put some hours on it for the first time yesterday and due to the heat, ended up with the top on most the drive and AC blasting, which after some time ended up splashing on our feet (both sides) condensation, when you take a turn, you hear the water sloshing in what I'd imagine is the evaporator housing? My first thought is the drainage tube is blocked and needs cleaning. 

thoughts? 

11 minutes ago, edgy said:

Hi, 

We recently acquired a 97 986 Boxster, put some hours on it for the first time yesterday and due to the heat, ended up with the top on most the drive and AC blasting, which after some time ended up splashing on our feet (both sides) condensation, when you take a turn, you hear the water sloshing in what I'd imagine is the evaporator housing? My first thought is the drainage tube is blocked and needs cleaning. 

thoughts? 

hmmm never had it in my ones and been in extreme heat for hours... yep check the tube first up....

23 minutes ago, edgy said:

Hi, 

thoughts

Drains are the first thing I would check K, If the systems working correctly you should have some condensate.

Ok, 

So i left the office early today and had some time to look at it.. I pulled the underbody tray out and then proceeded to look for the tube, I couldn't find it. I read a post online that suggested its best to attack from the inside, so away I went, the carpet was soaked on the passenger side. 

Upon pulling it apart, I noticed that the foam backing on the carpet was in pieces and coming away from the carpet underside, evidently this has been an issue in the past where they have had to get to the drainage tube or something, what I did notice is the grommet that fixes it into the floor was dislodged, on the underside of the grommet it is actually a one way orifice, a rubber flap. I think this was dislodged because the way the thick carpet foam is moulded, it protects the tube from being kicked out of its place, the fact my foams are shot, means its highly likely at some point it has just been dislodged by the passenger. 

Now, it doesn't appear to have any fixings that would secure it? I have attached a couple of photos, I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to this? I'm sure its probably very similar to the 996? I did add some cable ties to every joint to help secure the rubber connectors to the plastic hose. 

Also, I fired it up, took it for a 20-30 minute run, including leaving it running with the AC cranked in the driveway and it seems to be ok. 

Few hot days ahead, so a good opportunity to leave it out to dry! 

Cheers

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

9 hours ago, Airhead said:

Saw the tread title and thought this was a discussion about peeing with no hands. 🤦‍♂️

Sorry to disappoint you Barry! :lol: 

Alright, I have finished it today, heres how it went: 

Pulling back my carpet, you can see that in order to be able to do this, without removing the entire carpet, they carved off the foam backing :rolleyes:

IMG_4963.jpg.4dfcc1f3357eb410e94003ec05fc021c.jpg

Placing all the pieces back in, I was able to work out where they all went from the witness marks underneath them.  

IMG_4965.jpg.4ade3e7f667d94de27e1894b9c1ce00b.jpg

As you can see here, my suspicions are true, the moulded foam protects the drain tube, as there is reliefs underneath it. 

IMG_4966.jpg.04e6b315879da56d2428a7a786b1567e.jpg

Once all the pieces were in their places, I did a test fit and then applied spray adhesive so they would bond to the carpet again! 

IMG_4967.jpg.4c8d2091d231380d9523458bbdd42233.jpg

Some wood from my smoker to weigh it all down... 

IMG_4970.jpg.92979f8603f7d437e73081a9c9b8f9df.jpg

Then viola, all cleaned up good to go! 

IMG_4971.jpg.83d9647b58f91e41b80f4d0ffee7fed2.jpg

Test drove it for an hour plus today in the heat with it cranked... no dripping inside, and the drainage runs out underneath again. 

Archived