Carport design...

edgy

One project on the long renovation list is to add a car port, I have a 6 x 6m concrete parking space at the end of my driveway and the future plan is to build up by back fill or pier & beam to as the land drops away about 1-2m behind the car spot, the plan is to build another garage there and connect it to the carport eventually*. 

Now, I have done some ringing around and online research, the standard size 'carport' from the likes of Stratco is only 5.4 x 5.4.. it looks like this: 

card-1x1-carport-range-frontier.jpg.7ba9190d558afa722a6e84a1560d4b21.jpg

Pretty plain, but for the circa $2k its fine, now I called them and Ranbuild about doing a 6 x 6m and the costs go up considerably.. mainly because it is a custom build for them and it comes from a different product line... we got quotes of $7-8k for this. At this point I am thinking to myself for fucks sake... here comes another snow ball project. And then I happen upon @hugh's instagram and carport... which just threw flames on the fire! 

So I am thinking of going with something more architectural, which will suit the rest of the renovation, but it is freestanding... here is some ideas I am looking at: 

I like the cleanliness of this and simplicity, but that equals big $$ 

b_730_e7f64e08-824c-49d5-9808-74fa574bc272.jpg.dc2c763c70b03ee73f4afedacb944270.jpg

modern-carport.thumb.jpg.ddd5d3c3ac47f8138aa9a409558c497c.jpg

I like the finish on this, as its exactly what the house is being re-clad in, its Hardie Scyon, same colour black... 

woodend-finished-025.jpg.de2210c7d2f3b207d85b6d217ca8731b.jpg

Hugh (hope its ok to share) has a nice idea of storage integration in his (on the left) so I'd probably opt to add to the slab and build this in too. 

I guess what I am seeking is the best method of construction for going this route, trying to keep the cost sensible and build time to a minimum, the words pre-fab come to mind, but then I have a pretty good carpenter who could probably knock up the frames, use CLT beams and clad it for me, I could then get other trades to finish off i.e. electrician. 

cheers

Ring around and buy the materials yourself, or have someone with an ABN to do it as you'll save a fair wedge of coin. Have a chippy give you an hourly rate and a guaranteed timeline for completion. I had a client ask why his gable pergola was going to cost him a fortune, and gave him the same advice and he saved quite a few thousand dollars. It's an easy job for a chippy mate, even I built my own 7 x 5  flat roof pergola including decking for under $2500 (had quotes of $7000-9500) and 4 weekends of work. It's even square and level too! 

Think outside the box mate

I'll add that from what I've been told by a couple of chippys, is that whatever the materials cost they nearly double it to max their profit. I did with wardrobe materials when I was doing cash work (I don't now) and I still come in under most quotes

All of those designs look clean and modern “cool”  and as Lee suggested subby it out it’s not brain surgery if you think it through.

Another suggestion is ask the chippy etc, does he have any Concreter, Gyprock, Sparky contacts,  most do and will work together. You will find that the quality of the work improves as they all take pride in their workmanship.

Agree with @LeeM.on subing it out.  I provide finance for a lot of these prepackaged products. High margin for manufacturers compared to what you would anticipate. I always work to a 50/50! Ratio of material to labour on most prefab product. It comes back to how much you can get the labour discounted and retain a quality job? Sugested to a friend recently if you want a cheap carport and happy to compromise, go to gumtree get a second as fixed size you are happy with then find some one to install it for a price you are happy with. Not sure how much of a discount you’ll get 

Thanks lads, I’m pretty hands on with this stuff, and I realise it’s not rocket science, it’s nice to validate my thoughts on the build method, as I have a good relationship with my chippy and we do all projects on time and materials basis, worked great for us over the years, also there’s a good lumberyard not far from home that delivers. 👍  

only painful thing is his availability... it’s made the project run years on end 😂

23 hours ago, hugh said:

Worth checking if you require any council and building approvals (yes even for carport) 

Council, good point! I’ll make that enquiry, but they are laughable at best my one... 😂

Archived